Recent content by timrob

1. T

Fatigue Life of Carbon Frame

Agree 100% - Carbon frame will outlive an aluminium frame any day if loaded below yeild point, aluminium with even the slightest load will begin fatiguing and start work hardening itself. Carbon fibre generally fails in two fashions; resin failure and fibre failure. If the resin lets go you...
  2. T

Best xc bars/stem

I would say very 'strong' for a carbon bar ;)
  3. T

Best xc bars/stem

Hands down, i would recommend; Answer Pro Taper AM 720 (1/2" rise, carbon or alloy) The best back/up sweet that i have used, just ordered a new set for the new bike :)
  4. T

Decent bike shop in Melbourne for Mountain Bike gear?

Hey, Only lived in Melbourne for a year, but one little shop springs to mind serious trail/dh owner and operator (1 man band) IRide - 271 King St (city centre) [http://www.iridebikes.com.au/] Otherwise BSC i didnt think was too bad, but i agree bit of 'show-room-floor-stock-shiny-things'...
  5. T

XX1 and XX compatibility

Agree entirely however as you have said it is all in the 'shifter' not the mech, so a 11sp shifter will pull less cable, y/11 for instance than a 10sp.. x/10. however if it is 1:1 ratio then it stands to reason that x/10 cable pull = x/10 rear mech travel! This is assuming the overall...
  6. T

XX1 and XX compatibility

Google struck out, probably the first time that has ever happened eh?
  7. T

Hard Bicycle carry case interest gathering

Few questions, whats the average weight? in comparison to a cardboard box? big factor, as more weight = less gear or more money... Durability; bar ends, skewers, chain rings have a habit of punching through cardboard if not strategically wrapped, whats the plastic like for that? especially...
  8. T

1x Crank Configurations

117 Views and 7 Votes? really?
  9. T

Crankbrothers V Shimano

XT it is then! thanks for the heads up.
  10. T

1x Crank Configurations

Hello Rotorburn People, Chasing a poll result on 1x crank options for 2013, the bike in question is a 160mm-170mm travel. Used for heavy trail riding and shuttle runs. Rear end is destined to be a Shadow+ mech or SRAM Type 2. Options include: 1. XX1 Cranks + acclaimed magical XX1...
  11. T

Crankbrothers V Shimano

Cranks bros are an excellent concept but poorly executed, good float, easy engagement. CB has the ability to engage into your foot from any direction (heel then toe, stright down, toe than heel etc) where as shimano are limited to toe in, heel in much like a road clip. Flip side is a Shimano...
  12. T

XX1 and XX compatibility

As said above, XX1 Crankset is cheap once you consider a guide + dedicated SS chain ring (renthal or e13 etc) + cranks In the same way an XX1 mech is only 20% more expensive than a Type 2 XO mech, in terms of bike cost overall its a low cost upgrade should it be compatible with a 10sp...
  13. T

XX1 and XX compatibility

Ah, see i beg to differ. Given my understanding XX1 runs the same 1:1 actuation, i.e. cable pull distance = rear mech movement distance, so when paired with a 10speed 1:1 shifter it should operate identically to 10sp rear mech. Granted there will be minor adjustment with the b-limiter to ensure...
  14. T

XX1 and XX compatibility

Wanting the XX1 rear mech so it gives the option in the future to switch to full 11 speed should i find it necessary! Thanks for the input, i understand the stupidity of what im asking but its good to know none the less. Cheers
  15. T

XX1 and XX compatibility

Hello All, got a tech question regarding interchangability of equipment. Many of you know of XX1 groupset release by now which i think is a fantastic idea finally making a dedicated 1x groupset, however the dinner plate sized rear cassette (42t) has me baffled. I currently run a 11x34...