Recent content by trail_monkey

1. trail_monkey

Commuting bag - any recommendations

I have a Mission Workshop Rummy messenger bag. It's understated, expands to store your stuff and is completely weatherproof. They also do backpacks.
  2. trail_monkey

Population, economy, politics, climate change and other worldly stuff

You're missing the point, the issue is not that temperatures have varied over time. It's the speed that human-generated greenhouse gasses are contributing to the change that is the issue.
  3. trail_monkey

Townsville XC Downhill

Dags was wondering if you guys had conquered the bridge drop. I guessed that if the size of your :becky: was anything to go by, when I bumped into you in the carpark, that you probably had.
  4. trail_monkey

Leaky seal on brand new fork float rlc

If it is the seals, Fox forks have a 90 day warranty on them. You should be fine if you take it to an authorised Fox service agent and have proof of purchase. I'm pretty sure the video and method you refer to is to clean the dust wipers, not sure if that's going to help much if the seals are...
  5. trail_monkey

The "Thank god for that rider" Thread

Wasn't that you driving your ute up a 4wd track at night recently to take a rider to the hospital, and then stay with him until 1am because his mum was out of town? I'm also grateful for riders who carry spares. Without an anonymous rider throwing me a sodium tab during this years Paluma Push...
  6. trail_monkey

Sustainable bike shop (at a university campus)

If you haven't already thought of it you are going to need to get it cleared with JCU well, as you'll be operating a business on their land. One way around this & insurance is perhaps going through the student association. Good luck.
  7. trail_monkey

Sustainable bike shop (at a university campus)

Old tubes + pair cable ties = chainstay protector.
  8. trail_monkey

TUBELESS TYRE MEGATHREAD - All questions asked and answered in here!!

A little bird told me that if you take 2 cups of Stan's, add Glitter Glue and then contrive a massive explosion...well you can imagine the scene. I'll need outacontrol to confirm that though.:biggrin:
  9. trail_monkey

TUBELESS TYRE MEGATHREAD - All questions asked and answered in here!!

It's even funnier when you find out what the 'secret' ingredient in his Stan's goo is.
  10. trail_monkey

Bike Carrier rear car mount question

Had mine for several months and it gets used 3 times a week. No issues apart from the lock mechanism breaking, which T7 replaced within 3 days.
  11. trail_monkey

How do I strengthen my pathetic wrists?!?!

Yup, I was experiencing wrist pain after most rides. I got a professional bike fit where my seat height and rails were adjusted and I was shown how I should be positioned on the bike. The next ride I had very little wrist pain and have had literally none since, even on an 80km XC ride. In...
  12. trail_monkey

Advice: 2011 Giant Anthem x2, Giant Trance x2 or Scott Spark 50.

I picked up my 2011 Trance X2 for $2200 a few months back. Great spec for the price and I have to say it's a confidence inspiring bike that will get you out of trouble when your skills come up short ;). I'm tackling terrain that I never would have before and the more I ride it the better it...
  13. trail_monkey

29ers for short arses? Two questions

Your height shouldn't be a barrier to a 29er. The female XC rider ranked 2nd in the world rides one and she's 5'3". You may need to try a variety of 29er brands to find one that suits though.
  14. trail_monkey

New Trail Bike

Another Trance owner here, I looked at the Trek Fuel but the lack of a 15mm axle on anything below the EX9 was a dealbreaker for my budget.
  15. trail_monkey

Pain inhibitors while riding &/or racing?

After an injury whatever anti-inflammatory I can lay my hands on, though the wife usually has to hassle me to take anything. I've been lucky, with some back pain being my only ongoing issue. I'll be 40 this year. Water is brilliant for bruises?