Yarra Trails regulars

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there isn't an all-round good answer. But I'm glad to hear only 2/100 people give you grief.

Me either, so long as it's:
Code:
    ___        ___
   /   \      /   \
__/     \____/     \__
or:
Code:
Code:
    ___        ___
   /   \      /   \
__/     \    /     \__
         \  /
          \/
yes Im too old and unskilled for these too

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
I rode today from Burke to bonds along the ST. 5 big trees down between bonds and plenty river. All blocking trail and no option to go around.
4-5 big trees between banyule flats and plenty river. A couple are massive and trail is diverted around.
If anyone has a chainsaw.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Rode Burke to Bell Bird. ST is dry and fast:
  • A trail fairy has been at work in the Burke Rd Billabong ST, thanks.
  • There are two trees down between pipe bridge and Bell Bird. One will require a saw, the other might be breakable.
  • First snake sighting / near miss for the season, on the high side ST above Bellbird, I think it was a brown snake.
To top off my ride I destroyed a rear D and hanger just upstream of Burke Rd.

Markee

Likes Dirt
Rode from Walmer Street to Banksia today and it's dry with still a few puddles here and there. Bruces definitely needs the slasher through again before summer as that waist high grass gives absolutely no sight lines whatsoever!
Also coming back up to bike path near Burke Rd I saw a juvenile tiger snake coming out onto the trail and went around it, called out to my riding bud who straight up ran him over as he's never encountered one before and didn't even realise till it was too late.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
This post almost qualifies as a bump

Hans to Banksia and its mostly dry but very overgrown. There is the odd puddle in the Somme (which look to be drying fast), a puddle in the dip before the back switchbacks of hans, and some damp ruts at the end of the prologue loop of Hans and just downstream of Bonds rd.

There is tiger snake living just next to the log rollover which is towards the downstream end of the somme.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
what shall we call it AC?
We shall call him Brandon in honour of his namesake’s win at rampage (and he can probably do a quick backflip if he gets pissed off).

Further downstream near the sports ovals, have you seen what looks like some ST being cut into the grass right next to the bike path?

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We shall call him Brandon in honour of his namesake’s win at rampage (and he can probably do a quick backflip if he gets pissed off).

Further downstream near the sports ovals, have you seen what looks like some ST being cut into the grass right next to the bike path?
Looks like a roundup job

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt

Is that near the new concreted MYT section. I might have to have a look. That section is crying out for an alternative to concrete path

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big AC

Likes Dirt
If the ‘trail’ was created by roundup then it was a deliberate dissemination of weed killer. I didn’t see the full extent of the ‘trail’; however, what I did see diverted into the undergrowth at one point where there is a smallish ditch, it then re-joined an existing short cut to the bike path.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
did around 40ks last night on the extended off road commute home. from monument climb all the way to bonds. tracks just about in A1 condition with some new challenging log rolls and some 'is there a snake or log in the long grass sections' - not to mention the 'is there a bike coming the other way blind corners'. all good farkin fun and I haven't rode on trails since winter.

kanes.jpg

What da? move over for just in control cx rider.
vlcsnap-2016-11-03-10h54m55s623.jpg

noice
vlcsnap-2016-11-03-11h00m06s305.jpg

off road commuter.
vlcsnap-2016-11-03-10h58m57s060.jpg

yarra flats dip, he go left I go left.
vlcsnap-2016-11-03-11h07m56s118.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-11-03-11h08m58s134.jpg

Last edited:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the ‘trail’ was created by roundup then it was a deliberate dissemination of weed killer. I didn’t see the full extent of the ‘trail’; however, what I did see diverted into the undergrowth at one point where there is a smallish ditch, it then re-joined an existing short cut to the bike path.
There's two bits, one between the gate and the short cut you mention, and that bit that goes through the dip. Just appeared overnite which makes me suss as to roundup. Which is going to really annoy PV sadly...

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Mint conditions out there today. Dry and fast but not blown out yet.

There was a tree limb down in the Burke Rd Billabong, it’s now rollable. You could probably move the offending limb if you had some time, it’s not super heavy, it’s just long.

It appears that someone has been doing some work extending the end of the Wilsmere embankment ST back up the hill. Instead of heading into that section after the fast downhill right / left bend in the bike path you now turn off before the bend and go through a gap in the chain fence (someone has cut the chain so there is a gap between two of the posts). There are branches across the old entrance.

There is also now a very low tree branch near the top of the ST which links the boulie to the riverside ST just downstream of the freeway.

redbruce

Eats Squid
not ideal, not good
Based on past experience with a "round up" activity in Westerfolds, expect a Parks intervention.

If so, hopefully confined to area and not assumed to be symptomatic of MTB generally.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Based on past experience with a "round up" activity in Westerfolds, expect a Parks intervention.

If so, hopefully confined to area and not assumed to be symptomatic of MTB generally.
yes - hopefully confined to this section mate

Would the folks responsible please stop now. The trail stops abruptly and looks like it will be continued. Please do not continue this trail.

Thanks

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
did a beautiful ride out to Burgundy st last night from pipe bridge, trails are just about at their best.

plenty of long grass around so had to back off a bit and the tree in the paddock loop was too large for me to move but hacked away at it so if it aren't chopped almost a good log rollover.

there's a larger tree further up right across the track, no real workaround.

otherwise these warm nights are just right for riding the trails.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what period of the day are snakes most active?
I used to think early was good but saw a big brown at westerfolds Friday about 8am, and I saw a Tiger under the Burke rd bridge one night about 11. I think its more to do with temp, although Friday was about 10deg when I saw the brown.