Star Wars, The Last Jedi

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
saw it last night, quite enjoyed it, pretty tired and it was long... was funny, had a few holes in it, but overall like it. Still not as good as SW, Empire or Rogue One but pretty good.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've been wrong before, by the standards of others. I now eagerly await Dozer's declaration that we can load this thread with spoilers and celebrate/hate. See it soon as the internet is dark and full of spoilers.

peanut

Likes Dirt
Long time SW fan, saw it thursday to avoid spoilers. Has some very good bits visually, the soundtrack was good, the acting is generally good considering what script/storyline they have to work with.... the negatives aspects, which are well deserved, can be found on youtube,whirlpool & rotten tomatoes.
It is star wars afterall, so i'll watch it again, just not as often as the others.

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, so very 'meh' wasn't it.. Not surprisingly my kids (10 & 7) loved it. Way better than force awakens they reckon..

stirk

Burner
I don't get anyone being negative about what are essentially fun movies, they've done a good job lately compared to the terrible prequels. You'll not get a darkly awesome adult version of Star Wars we really want, Star Wars will always play to families and kids and finally now this last movie had some half decent humor thrown in with the action some good evil, a twist and only a tiny bit of cute stuff.

If I think about it what I'm getting from the last few movies is what I got from the originals and that's a good fun space movie with laser beams and spaceships. And if I'm going to be honest I've enjoyed the last 3 Star Wars more than Return of the Jedi (except the slave leia scenes of course) and farked if I'll ever watch the Caravan of Courage or Battle for Endor spin offs more than once.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Can’t accept one particularly massive hole in the plot. It’s just lazy.
Just one hey? I await the free and easy allowance of spoilers for this thread. Dare I say it...some of the prequels may have been better.

I don't get anyone being negative about what are essentially fun movies, they've done a good job lately compared to the terrible prequels. You'll not get a darkly awesome adult version of Star Wars we really want, Star Wars will always play to families and kids and finally now this last movie had some half decent humor thrown in with the action some good evil, a twist and only a tiny bit of cute stuff.
Well you see I don't want a dark and gruesome film. But what I do want is a coherent plot, character development, building relationships, the filling in of a bigger picture, and good scripting. Unfortunately this new film had none of that. Instead it meanders through 2.5 hours of what and who the fuck is this? And why should I care? Using constant distractions from a core story (not that such a thing was clearly developed anyway) that were corny and cheese and just stupid. Almost every scene felt like a stand alone set piece made up of actors doing monologues in the surrounds of other actors rather than working together.

Don't worry I can admit there was a few really well played parts that I quite enjoyed.

Fortunately it is still better than the hobbit films. Fuck they were some aweful shit.

John U

MTB Precision
There was more than one hole Poodle, but one really annoyed me.

I didn’t mind the Force Awakens and enjoyed Rogue One (apart from discrepancies with trailers), but this movie was strange. Quite a few ‘main characters ‘ with very little development. Almost like they were created to sell action figures and other shit.

I expected a lot more from this one. Force Awakens had to fit a lot more in but still felt a more complete movie.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ indeed. This film felt like watching a high lights film of unrelated action sequences. There was a lot of faces, some laser swords, some lasers, and not much else.

If only they managed to squeeze some mickey mouse ears in as an alien somewhere!

scblack

Leucocholic

If I think about it what I'm getting from the last few movies is what I got from the originals and that's a good fun space movie with laser beams and spaceships.
I agree here. People are expecting too much from a spaceships and lasers sci-fi film.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well here's the thing, I really liked the force awakens.. So does my wife (who hated all the other movies even the originals)..
Kids didn't like it..
It was a great reboot with the right amount of darkness and humour. The new heroes were likable different and I thought it was the right sort of movie to make to appeal to a new audience. It wasn't perfect but it was a lot of fun..
The last jedi is anything but fun.. The entire tone of the film was completely different. So slow... Slow action movies ain't fun. Clearly they wanted to replicate the empire strikes back feel but it didn't work..
The last jedi isn't rubbish, it's just meh. Like rogue one. Interesting enough, but nothing fantastic.
I went in expecting more of the same, just like all the star trek reboots.. Nothing serious, just entertainment.

Edit some bits were really great but equally there was some that were woeful..

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I liked it, really liked it actually. It still feels like Star Wars yet it.........................SPOILERS AHEAD.................

It buries the past and it sets up a totally new line of story telling. The Skywalkers as we know them are done and thats kind of awesome, I'd not ever expected a big ending for Luke but he'll be around in holo form no doubt. I'm also glad Snoke got torched pretty quickly, he hasn't come across as a bad arse too much and now the First Order can take a path of a youthful feel instead of these old codgers.
I do have one thing that bothers me immensely: The way Leia used the force to get back into the cruiser was fucking terribly done and should be cut from the movie, that scene was horribly done. I guess it serves a purpose though, it's Leia showing she's always known of the force etc etc and the only other reference we have to her knowing the force is in Rogue One when her adopting father is pulled aside and asked if his Jedi friend can help out, thats it.
All in all, I reckon we'll never get any more info on Rey's lineage, thats part of the point of this new direction and made even more evident by the little dude at the end using the force. I still can't help but feel there's still some sort of connection between Rey and Ren though.....................maybe she's a Kenobi and maybe Finn is a Windu? Those were my theories but meh, we may never know.

John U

MTB Precision
Spoiler alert
Here’s the gap I can’t tolerate, Rey and Ren, fighting in the big ship, light sabre explodes, next minute Rey in mellenium falcon flying in to save the day. Not good enough.

That cruiser launch to light speed though, awesome.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just one hey? I await the free and easy allowance of spoilers for this thread. Dare I say it...some of the prequels may have been better.

Well you see I don't want a dark and gruesome film. But what I do want is a coherent plot, character development, building relationships, the filling in of a bigger picture, and good scripting. Unfortunately this new film had none of that. Instead it meanders through 2.5 hours of what and who the fuck is this? And why should I care? Using constant distractions from a core story (not that such a thing was clearly developed anyway) that were corny and cheese and just stupid. Almost every scene felt like a stand alone set piece made up of actors doing monologues in the surrounds of other actors rather than working together.

Don't worry I can admit there was a few really well played parts that I quite enjoyed.

Fortunately it is still better than the hobbit films. Fuck they were some aweful shit.
Agree with everything.. When I could see the code breaker journey sub plot coming I nearly yelled out 'No stop'; it will take fking ages to do that and I need a piss..