Lighter Trail/AM-ish bikes for tall blokes: Reach and TT comparisons

big gags

Likes Bikes
Hey PB (obviously worked out who you are!!) - check out the Fikas bike in the 6th image on this link (as you can see, I'm actually in the photo checking it out!!).

http://modularbikes.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/wooden-bikes-at-melburn-custom-bicycle.html

I played footy with Luke up in Canberra in the early 2000s and he's about the same height as me (and so about 2 inches shorter than you). He made the 36er in the image for a big customer up in Canberra (may have been an ex Australian basketball if I recall) and I had a bit of a ride around the velodrome area on it and the linkage fork that he made was really plush!!! He said that it rode pretty amazing on trails, rolled over everything, and was really fast except for on the really tight stuff (obviously).

How's the weight loss going - you getting close to justifying a new purchase yet?? Make sure that you let me know if you ever decide to sell your Gellie Custom SS 29er as I know it's a good size for me too!!!

Cheers,

Gags

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Hilo,

Just saw the Turner Czar online - they have an XX size and the geometry looks pretty big:

https://www.turnerbikes.com/bikes/czar-v1-1/

Might be worth including in your considerations??
Owning a Turner will automatically make you a 1000% better rider and more attractive to the sex/species of your choosing. I'm told that they also reverse male pattern baldness.

On a more serious note. I'm 194cms and I ride xl Turners. If the carbon ones are anything like the alu ones they will also be fantastic riding bikes that will last you a verrrry long time.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

hilo

Likes Bikes
Hey PB (obviously worked out who you are!!) - check out the Fikas bike in the 6th image on this link (as you can see, I'm actually in the photo checking it out!!).

http://modularbikes.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/wooden-bikes-at-melburn-custom-bicycle.html

I played footy with Luke up in Canberra in the early 2000s and he's about the same height as me (and so about 2 inches shorter than you). He made the 36er in the image for a big customer up in Canberra (may have been an ex Australian basketball if I recall) and I had a bit of a ride around the velodrome area on it and the linkage fork that he made was really plush!!! He said that it rode pretty amazing on trails, rolled over everything, and was really fast except for on the really tight stuff (obviously).

How's the weight loss going - you getting close to justifying a new purchase yet?? Make sure that you let me know if you ever decide to sell your Gellie Custom SS 29er as I know it's a good size for me too!!!

Cheers,

Gags

Hey Gags—yep it’s me. Pretty clear with my avatar now lol.

Weight loss is moving along. Riding very regularly now, which is helping, and have cut out booze. It will take a few months yet, though!

That 36” wheeled bike looks like it’s my size!

The Gellie—not getting rid of that. Rides great, and as my fitness gets better, am riding it more and more. Did You Yangs on it the other week (not the black diamond stuff though).

Oddjob

Z

Zaf

Pfft. When humans and Treks are long gone and the cockroach men rule the earth. They will dig up SC Hecklers and Turner Burners and ride them 1000% better than you.
I can't hear you over the sound of being on something relevant!!:p

hilo

Likes Bikes
6'5" and just bought SC Hightower in XXL. First bike that I've ridden that feels like I fit properly. Not cheap but an awesome ride.
Yeah for me it's a toss up between SC (probably Tall Boy but maybe Hightower in a 29" set up) and Guerrilla Gravity. Depends on how I am am doing financially :)

Are you running the Hightower as a 29er or 27.5+?

Z

Zaf

Philosophical question. Is a bike with a noisy pressfit bb still noisy if its in pieces because its alloy pivot bolt cracked?
I shouldn't have let it get to me, but I feel the need to say that the Slash runs silently and the only BB I've ever had creaking from was a PF30 shell on the Stumpy that was resolved by Praxis kitting it. So in my experience at least, it will always be silent.

Yeah for me it's a toss up between SC (probably Tall Boy but maybe Hightower in a 29" set up) and Guerrilla Gravity. Depends on how I am am doing financially :)

Trail Pistol, arm yourself correctly.

Big JD

Wheel size expert

Hi Hilo
I see that you are local. I have an XXL Santa Cruz Highball and Tallboy LT. Why dont you PM me and swing by for a ride- you can ride both bikes back to back. The only way to really know is not by the numbers but by feel. I live in Fairfield.
Has a tall bloke- it has been a struggle for 30 years with much trail and error. Happy to help out a fellow talstar.

Oddjob

I shouldn't have let it get to me, but I feel the need to say that the Slash runs silently and the only BB I've ever had creaking from was a PF30 shell on the Stumpy that was resolved by Praxis kitting it. So in my experience at least, it will always be silent.
I almost feel like Hannibal Lector. "Well, Clarice - have the lambs stopped screaming?"

Ah Specialized, another brand the Cockroach men will never have to endure.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

hilo

Likes Bikes
Hi Hilo
I see that you are local. I have an XXL Santa Cruz Highball and Tallboy LT. Why dont you PM me and swing by for a ride- you can ride both bikes back to back. The only way to really know is not by the numbers but by feel. I live in Fairfield.
Has a tall bloke- it has been a struggle for 30 years with much trail and error. Happy to help out a fellow talstar.
Thanks man. I’ll send you a message to arrange.

hilo

Likes Bikes
Just to throw another option at you.....

Norco take their sizing & geometry very seriously... they claim to make each size frame grow or shrink to the appropiate body size with more detail than other brands.

If I was looking for a new bike right now the 29er Sight would be very high on my list for reasons I just mentioned (because I,m 6'3" with particularly long arms)

For you, I think the Optic 29er XL might be good? They offer "reach and stack plus" options too...(?)

....and because they are not direct-to-punter, you might be able to do test ride to see how it fits..?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Bit of an update—and Norco figures into this (thanks Born-Again).

I shopped around a bit, was going to go for the GG Trail Pistol, but I’ve been riding a lot and enjoying it so much (and the weather). Ended up quitting my job to start up part-time consulting to give me a bit more freedom for riding and spending time with my wife and daughter. Work is going well, and after selling some guitars I didn’t use anymore I decided to see if I could get something sooner rather than later to get as much good weather riding time in.

After a bit of research and price comparisons, I decided it might be worth trying out the Norco Optic C1. Sizing is on the larger side of XL (though not quite Trail Pistol or Santa Cruz sizing, reach isn’t too bad). It’s pretty blinged up, which had some appeal, as I’ve never owned nor ridden a carbon bike. Wheels are DT carbons as well, and rated for over my weight (which I was surprised by). Anyway, I picked up one for a good price, one of the last XLs left in stock at the suppliers. I did a test ride yesterday, was all good (as far as you can tell on pavement), and after cutting the bars down to 760mm and putting on a 70mm stem (stock for all sizes is 50mm—all measuring up pointed to me need a bit more, and the ride bore out that I needed just a small tweak in the cockpit), I am ready to go. First proper ride is going to be in Forrest today—I am stoked.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Nice one mate
Gotta love the new bike feeling.

How does it ride on the trails?
(I don't expect an answer for weeks...no time for web forums when there's a new bike in the garage!)

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk