So I scratched my Pike..... Options?

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 3cm long scratch on the stauntion of my 120mm pike. I bought the fork off crc for $650. It only has about 20hrs of riding on it.

A new csu is going to set me back about $600. I am not mechanically capable, so this includes fitting, cutting etc.

Obviously the repair is one option but for $300 more I get a complete new pike from the Germans.

I could ride it until it explodes?

I could replace it with a trace or yari cheaper?

I could switch out to a fox 34?

If I get a new pike I'm guessing the 2014 model won't be good for spares, with the new one. So would people buy it with the scratch or is it scrap?

What have or would others do in this situation?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Rather than throw away a new fork, just keep on riding it. The only added thing I would do is smooth out the edges of the scratch with a fine wet and dry sand paper. It will just mean you will need to service the lowers a bit more often. If you're really pedantic about it, you might want to fill the scratch up with some clear paint of some sort and then smoothen it out a little. It really sucks but it happens

Scotty675

Cable thief
I would keep riding on it for sure with nothing to loose if they want $600 to repair. I’m not sure what wheel size you running but jenson USA still have some good deals running for the price of your repair.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Good advice above.

It wont "Explode" The outside surface of the stauntions is to keep the crud out and the oil (10ml in this case) in and it does not seal the air spring or damper.

If it deep, say through the black coating you may want to try to fill it.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I'm with flow-rider and disco-frank if it's deep or has a burr clean it up and fill it. What you use is up to you I would think some epoxy of some description. I had to repair a scratch ony old fox 32s and I used one of my wife's nail files, good control and fine on one side and super fine on the other, worked a treat.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
All well and good to treat the scratch, but it requires the lowers to come off, and clean up any filings before reassembly. Scratch probably goes under the wiper seal when fork is at full extension too. Murphy is a bastard

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
Agree with all the above, try and repair it first.

I had something very similar on my Pike and was feeling pretty devastated at the time. Bought some JB Weld with the intention of trying to fill it. However once I sanded it back with fine paper it totally disappeared. The black anodising makes everything look a lot worse.
Gave it a polish for extra smooth and you’d never know it had ever been there.
Did the same for a scratch on my Reverb.

Worst case is you can’t get it all out and your fork seals might not last quite as long

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
2000 wet and dry, lots of soapy water and a little careful elbow grease to smooth it out. Then get a black permanent marker to cover the scratches. That would be my initial plan of attack. And keep riding. If it turns out it needs further work then I'd weigh up my options at that point.....and go coil ;-)

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it shits you to look at, sell it. As others have ssid: make sure the edges are smooth! If you service your lowers regularly I doubt it will ever create an issue.

Flip666

Likes Dirt
I had a decent scratch on some pikes I bought, I lightly wet and dryed and then used a 2 part epoxy (sunfix) which is a metal mend for patching engine blocks etc. Sanded back to flat and cannot feel it at all now with your finger nail.
It's been like this for maybe 2 years... Still spot on

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hey

Likes Bikes
I’d take to it with a razor blade to take off any high spots. Fill the low spots with nail polish, and cut back with a razor blade again. Might hit it with some fine 2000 Grit sandpaper after that, but not enough to cut through the fast black. Polish with a bit of toothpaste and good to go. Service the lowers a bit more often may be needed.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I had a decent scratch on some pikes I bought, I lightly wet and dryed and then used a 2 part epoxy (sunfix) which is a metal mend for patching engine blocks etc. Sanded back to flat and cannot feel it at all now with your finger nail.
It's been like this for maybe 2 years... Still spot on

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
Got a pic you can show us Flip?

Wondering if this stuff might be suitable too: http://www.selleys.com.au/fillers-putty/epoxy/knead-it-steel/