Maydena Bike Park

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
What was the preferred method of getting there for the punters that went to the opening weekend. Ferry across from Melbs and drive down or fly into Hobart and hire a car?

I've been to Derby last year and did the fly in/out & car hire. That was a great way of getting to Derby.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Anyone that has been to Maydena have the scoop on finding food (lunch/dinner) around town? A quick google doesn't show much around other than the Mountain Cafe. Is it a case of BYO food & drinks?

Delazy

Got a new bike!
Anyone that has been to Maydena have the scoop on finding food (lunch/dinner) around town? A quick google doesn't show much around other than the Mountain Cafe. Is it a case of BYO food & drinks?
They have everything on site...alchohol, sports drink, water, soft drink and coffee...prices are also relatively reasonable I thought...

Food wise they have a range of snacks/meals depending on time of day...the chicken roll I had on opening day was abit light on chicken given price ($10) but the $20 wood fired pizzas coming out of the kitchen looked alright...

Worst case the takeaway further up the road had some decent takeaway kind of food on the go and relatively nice people running it...hit them up for a bag of chips and pile of dim sims!

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Rode Maydena today. Holy sweet Gandhi’s sweaty ball sac, it’s another level for Tassie. Pure gravity mayhem. Be interesting to see how it copes with winter, some tracks are already pretty cut up which in many cases adds to the fun. Five runs down and I am toast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Yep, just back from a few days there - the place is next level. Some of the gnrarliest, steepest trails I have ever ridden and also surely some of the longest DH runs in Aus. Nautures Nectar while it was wet was one of the scariest rides I have ever done.... lots of 'Oh sh!t' moments and 'how the hell did I manage to get down that!!' And that is just a 'black' run - didnt get a chance for the double black or pro line trails, i hate to imagine how scary those are. The jump trails there are aslo so well built, managed to really improve my jumping over a couple days. Was hitting the biggest gaps of my riding career by the end. Next time, maybe even the 'Maydena Hits' line...

Agreed, I think winter it may be unrideable (at least towards the top) as it was pretty wet and muddy there recetly.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’ve got a couple of days booked on the weekend.
Stoked is an understatement!

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I’ve got a couple of days booked on the weekend.
Stoked is an understatement!
Same. Bit of rain Sunday morning ... Anyone know how Maydena goes in terms of drainage and drying up?

I'm not too fussed with a bit of mud but may need to reasses the rear tyre I'll be taking hah.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
ive ridden maydena on 3 occasions now..only once was it totally dry..

it gets pretty sloppy on both ridges..i was previously running a 2.3 DHR / 2.3 Aggressor prior to changing to a 2.5WT shorty and 2.3 HR2.. the DHR didnt really like it too much while the Aggressor just picked up and held the mud like nothing ive seen before :/

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Ah gotcha, I've currently got MM SG up front and Rock Razor SG on the rear contemplating putting the DHR2 on the rear but its only EXO casing.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
Ah gotcha, I've currently got MM SG up front and Rock Razor SG on the rear contemplating putting the DHR2 on the rear but its only EXO casing.
I wouldn't be too concerned about it being exo casing unless you plan to go bouncing off rocks on the rough double black stuff...I haven't had any issues with exo maxxis yet

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
The top section last weekend there was pretty wet, particularly Tea Tree, although the top area isn't particularly steep so not much of a drama, just means you get completely covered in shite! They are actively working to cap this section though so hopefully things will improve. Lower down would drain pretty well if only because of the gradient, although I've had mates who commented on how slick the berms get when wet. The loam on the more hand cut tracks does clog tyres though. I was running a Minion DHF 2.3 which handled it pretty well, but the 2.3 Aggressor rear as noted by @Delazy clogged up. Something more open like a Forecaster or a DHR2 would be the go for wet conditions.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
^^^ the berms can get incredibly slippery...I have ended up on my ass sliding down them on a couple of occasions...even my DHR2 on the front didn't clearly mud too efficiently that said as already mentioned parts can be really really clay like...hence my decision to go a shorty and high roller 2...

Jpez

Down on the left!
Does anyone know what tires the hire bikes are running?
I’m heading there on the weekend and rain expected Sunday. Been riding nothing but bone dry dust all summer so should make for an interesting experience!

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Great long weekend there. Did Saturday to Tuesday. Legs and hands are still feeling it. Wishing I was back there.

Very easy and straightforward setup. Line up for a 12 seater van, head to the top in about 20 mins and ride down.
You can get 4 runs in easily per day. More if you skip lunch and how many vans they have running.
The shuttle wait ranged from zero to 20 minutes. I found I waited longer on the Tuesday where the park was very quiet and they didn't have many shuttle drivers running vs the busy weekend.
First two days were sunny and very dry, last two had rain from the top to the start of the 3rd section.
As everyone has said, the trails are awesome. Great variety of flow and technical trails. More catered for intermediate riders as the unavoidable blues can get pretty rocky and steep for a beginner.
Gave all the trails up to half of the double blacks a go. Some quite steep and tight but a blast to ride down. Nothing like I have ridden before locally. Sussed out some of the pro trails, saw some of the features ... yeah nah maybe next year hah.
Some of the steeper blacks and double blacks are pretty f*@cked if it's raining. Pure slick mud. Still ridable with speed, just need tyres that grip and clear mud well. MMs & DHR2 is what I'd recommend.
In terms of travel, you'd want 160mm at a minimum if you plan on tackling most of the trails. I took my Specialized Enduro.

King brown, Natures Nectar, Funky Cold Maydena and the Local were my favourite trails.
The Local -> Maydena Hits (minus the last jump HA) -> South Crescent were really good for improving jumping skills. Very well groomed and a big variety of speeds and angles of jumps.

Hired a Sender on the last day. Felt a bit easier but I didn't quite get the suspension dialled in so it wasn't a wow difference.
I noticed that they didn't reset their suspension settings after each hire (eg wind everything to the middle after each hire), so you'll be using the previous rider's settings. Just something to keep an eye on if you bring someone who isn't very savvy in that department.
Tyres wise they run DHR2 3C DH on front and rear.
Torques won't be in till another month or two.
Not sure about the Strive tyres.
There is an optional crash insurance of $30.

The food they serve is really good. Get the pizzas and baguettes. Good variety of beers and cider on tap.
Staff are super friendly and helpful.

If you're going for 3+ consecutive days, please note there is discounted pricing on their site. What isn't mentioned is that the discount isn't automatically applied and there is a unique coupon code for each number of days you're staying that you need.
eg for 5 days its '5dayscon', 3 days its '3dayscon' etc, if I remember correctly.

Couple key points:
- Bring a full face helmet, goggles and pads.
- Pack a riding jacket. The top when rainy and windy can feel below 5.
- Make sure your brakes are working 100%. Not being able to slow down confidently is something you don't want to worry about. Bring spare pads too just incase.
- Bring chain lube as the bike wash at the bottom has cleaning spray which is a degreaser (not that you'll be doing much pedalling)
- Chuck some grippy tyres on
- Arrive a bit early to get your passes for the day, coffee and get in the queue.
- You can leave water and snacks in a bag at base if you don't feel like taking a camelbak.
- No showers there but there is a bathroom with a changeroom/foot sink to wash your legs.
- Get your groceries in Hobart just after you land.
- Budget hire has 3 seater vans or 4 door utes which are reasonably priced. Roof bike racks are also an option for other cars. Make sure you check the deals/coupon page for free extra days or upgrades.
- My bike + check in was 30kg on the way in and 35kg on the way out (wet gear)
- Have a blast!

I cannot recommend this place enough. Definitely will be back there.

29244222_10155186660947115_7307905799244742656_o.jpg

29177016_10155186659867115_2782516535766286336_o.jpg

link1896

Mr Greenfield
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-18/jump-in-ambulance-calls-as-maydena-bike-track-opens/9560496

Coming up next in the news, bears shit in the woods...

Not quite sure what the point of this article was. We all know crashing is just a matter of when not if.

I notice it’s his wife having a complain and he’s keeping quiet. Poor bugger.
More people riding more often, of course there going to be more accidents.

Those of us going solo back country for gravity, when we smash our brains out, don't see us go crying to the media and land managers about how we as the rider fucked up in the prevailing conditions.

Rider wears all the risk. Stick to a bike path if you can't is my personal position.