Chin Guard - where do you carry it?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've got a Bell Super 2R. It makes a reasonable trail helmet with the chinbar off, but when the chinbar is on, it mucks up the chinstrap & buckle position, IMO.
I was going to get a Bell super DH, but there have apparently been problems reported with the magnetic clip/buckle.
Next helmet will be a Giro Switchblade. The latches that lock the chinbar on look stronger, and the chinstrap looks stronger and more comfortable.
I just went from the Super 2R to the Super DH and the DH is a lot more comfortable with more adjustments to help get the fit right. (Dial, depth adjustment and comes with 2 sets of cheek pads at different thickness.)

The magnetic clip is good and I haven't had any issues with it at all apart from just getting used to it. It hasn't come undone by itself and I don't think it would if it's put on properly in the first place.

I find it's more robust than the 2R, but more comfortable. With the chin guard on it's still very open like the 2R and well ventilated. The chin bar is noticeably stronger in the DH.

The spherical mips is interesting and took about 10 minutes of trail time to get used to. Initially it seems a little overly floppy and that's off putting. But I think a lot of that feeling was down to the helmet adjustment as well, because as soon as I increased the depth, the helmet was instantly more comfortable and that feeling stopped. That depth adjustment is just something that's not there in the 2R.

The only thing that I'm not really fond of, which is minor, is that the visor doesn't seem to come down as low as the 2R.

Overall I'm really happy with it and would definately recommend it as an upgrade to the 2R.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I just went from the Super 2R to the Super DH and the DH is a lot more comfortable with more adjustments to help get the fit right. (Dial, depth adjustment and comes with 2 sets of cheek pads at different thickness.)

The magnetic clip is good and I haven't had any issues with it at all apart from just getting used to it. It hasn't come undone by itself and I don't think it would if it's put on properly in the first place.

I find it's more robust than the 2R, but more comfortable. With the chin guard on it's still very open like the 2R and well ventilated. The chin bar is noticeably stronger in the DH.

The spherical mips is interesting and took about 10 minutes of trail time to get used to. Initially it seems a little overly floppy and that's off putting. But I think a lot of that feeling was down to the helmet adjustment as well, because as soon as I increased the depth, the helmet was instantly more comfortable and that feeling stopped. That depth adjustment is just something that's not there in the 2R.

The only thing that I'm not really fond of, which is minor, is that the visor doesn't seem to come down as low as the 2R.

Overall I'm really happy with it and would definately recommend it as an upgrade to the 2R.
Just 'coz I'm curious.....who / where did you buy the Super DH from ? Was it 1 million dollars because it's the newest / latest / greatest thing....or did you get a good deal ?

wkkie

Just 'coz I'm curious.....who / where did you buy the Super DH from ? Was it 1 million dollars because it's the newest / latest / greatest thing....or did you get a good deal ?
I got a good deal online. It ended up being about $270. I ended up getting it from Worldwide Cyclery. Usually pretty steep with shipping, but they had a good deal on at the time.

sozler

Cannon Fodder
Personally I just decide wether I’ll need it or not, either leave it home or put it on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So here's the bleeding obvious question when do you need a fullface/chin bar helmet or open face? I have rode cressy's a few times, I don't hit the big jumps and happy with the open face.. At the same time smashing down that fire road descent out the back of smiths gully I went otb.. cracked helmet, face plant with black eye, abrasions and concussion..
Seems to me that any trail that goes steepish down at a decent clip warrants a full face? Even angry xc trails..
Rode behind a group that all had pads and full face on at plenty gorge. Same trails had guys with 2002 gt hardtails going down them in full lyra with a road lid..
I have no idea when a full face is needed or not..

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
So here's the bleeding obvious question when do you need a fullface/chin bar helmet or open face? I have rode cressy's a few times, I don't hit the big jumps and happy with the open face.. At the same time smashing down that fire road descent out the back of smiths gully I went otb.. cracked helmet, face plant with black eye, abrasions and concussion..
Seems to me that any trail that goes steepish down at a decent clip warrants a full face? Even angry xc trails..
Rode behind a group that all had pads and full face on at plenty gorge. Same trails had guys with 2002 gt hardtails going down them in full lyra with a road lid..
For me racing/practice or shuttles. I also only wear knee armour at select places. Bit silly though today with openface and no armour we starting sessioning a short rough rocky section which took one of the guys out. Really I guess getting whooped can happen at any time but some places the probability of a big off is higher so run it then.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Sounds like a business opportunity.

Either the helmet manufacturers or an enterprising someone, should make a frame mounted clip that will hold the chin piece in the least possible dangerous way.

teK--

Eats Squid
Sounds like a business opportunity.

Either the helmet manufacturers or an enterprising someone, should make a frame mounted clip that will hold the chin piece in the least possible dangerous way.
I just patented the Enduro Chin Holder Strap. $99.95
images (13).jpeg

rstim

Likes Dirt
I've got a Fox Proframe and while it's not convertible on long climbs I take the cheek pads out. Makes a massive difference to airflow on the climbs then just clip then back in before descending. Has been a good helmet and I definately feel safer hitting the rough stuff in Derby.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Yes, but it is very hot to wear as an open face, compared to a regular lid. That said, I’d buy one over my super 2, for what I’d be using it for.

wkkie

You can also add the Bell Super DH to the Switchblade as a compliant lid.
Very true. I haven't noticed a difference in the ventilation between the Super DH and the Super 2R, either with or without the chin bar.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Very true. I haven't noticed a difference in the ventilation between the Super DH and the Super 2R, either with or without the chin bar.
I'd be all over the Super DH, but at circa $400 for a lid I don't actually need yet... its a stretch too far!
Met Bryn Atkinson in Derby in December and he was nice enough to let me try on the prototype he has been using. It was super comfy and he reckons he's had zero issues with the magnetic chin strap fastener.
I'll pull the trigger on one when I'm up for a new helmet..... so later this year. They look awesome and a lot more suitable to the Aussie heat than the switchblade.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I think you're asking a question that only you can answer.
Mtn biking is one of the last activities left where you are largely in total control of your own safety. This should be cherished.

(I realised some competition events have minimum requirements, but free riding is exactly that...free.)

You do your own risk assessments & wear what you feel is appropriate. Likewise, you choose jump line vs B line & flat out descent vs careful line choice...

For me, funny thing, I WAS about to buy a convertible full-face so I could have the best of both worlds....
But it's important to be honest with myself - I know that chin bar would stay in ute wayyy too often because, 'fuck it' right?
...and I crash semi-regularly.
So how fuggen stupid would I feel if I knocked my teeth out 'coz I left the bar off? I think that would be the ultimate 'Confessions from the F'wits' post?

So it will soon be a Proframe or Parachute for me...all the time. I'll suffer the small amount of extra heat, weight etc 'coz I don't trust myself with the convertible style.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I sling mine over the chest strap on my camelback for climbs, seems to keep it mostly out of the way for climbing and it's easy to put there without taking the bag off to attach it to the back.

As to it's usefulness, I've found it's paid off for me. I'm no DH rider, but like to put some speed on for trail riding. I opted to go for chin-bar when I had a (stupid) stack near the bottom of a run after my brain switched off. Face first into the ground at low speeds and I'm in the hospital for stitches under my eye.

Fast forward to retirement of the next helmet (Super 2R) and it's 40km/h down a flow trail when I hook a toe on a rock protruding from the side of the trail and stop on the spot. In that sort of situation, the helmet performed admirably. I distinctly heard my head impact with the ground, and the marks on the helmet after showed it. I'm without doubt that the chinbar kept my face clean in that crash, so it's better than not being there. My head was about the only thing not hurting after that crash.