Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very jealous steve-o, I'll be doing the same as soon as I have the space

Mirin' set up.

Stared powerlifting seriously a bit under a year ago. Numbers are up to 200kg squat, 120 bench and 230 dead @ 89kg.
Those are some impressive numbers there, well done!

I took a bit of a break following a couple of injuries back to back over the soccer season but am getting back into now. But first I need some advice.../
I've always had a hard time deadlifting. I have disproportionately long legs which just make it feel awkward as soon as it starts to get heavy as I think my legs are overemphasised in the lift. has anybody else here faced similar problems or come across any particularly good resources?
Currently trying to find some professional coaching to help me get it sorted but always keen to hear others experiences

my02

Likes Dirt
If you could post up a couple of vids that might help (front and side views).

FWIW I'm 6'4" so have pretty long levers on my deadlift.

I've also been nursing a back injury (slowly improving) and have found that I have to make a few differences to shorter guys in the DL.

I need to really push my knees out at the bottom to stop the head of my femur interfering with my acetabulum which otherwise rounds my lower back.

My hips also stay pretty high. My spine gets to around 15-20 degree from parallel to the floor. I notice that shorter guys get a greater angle.

I also found that working on my KB swing technique was a great way to reinforce a good hip hinge which translated well to my deadlift.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Don't know if anyone still checks this thread? I started lifting weights end of last year to build a bit of strength for boxing (and cycling).

At the moment I'm lifting in running shoes, but I'm guessing this might not so be good as I start getting some decent weight on the bar for deads and squats? Should I get some lifting shoes?

And belts - are they also worth it? Seems another contentious issue.

I'm leaning towards the shoes, but just wanted some more opinions on the matter before shelling out.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Lifting shoes, really depends how much weight your lifting, as running shoes tend to be 'squishy' which makes them unpleasantly wobbly during maximial lifts. They also have a raised heel which can help get a bit more depth for taller folks when squatting. They dont wear out, so a decent pair will last years and years. I don't use them myself, using old runners that have no spring left in them, mostly becuase I am cheap and like to lift in shoes I would normally wear.

Belts, complex issue, I don't use one and won't, but several of my geriatric lifters (60+) with a history of hernia's, I insist they wear one. All the belt does is oppose the intra-abdominal pressure when you lift heavy. IE. before a decently loaded compound lift you brace your entire midsection to hold perfect form, part of this is by increasing pressure against the diaphragm, which is safe and excellent technique. However, if you have abdominal weakness, such as a hernia forming, this pressure will tear through. A belt will prevent this. HOWEVER, using a belt all the time, means your abdominal's will not adapt and become stronger, because the belt takes over their role. Another common approach, is only using the belt for 1-2RM maximal training, and otherwise avoid using one.

I see a lot of people using them as a crux, or to fit in with the belt crowd, not nesseccarily understanding what they actually do.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
My running shoes are also old, and in need of replacement. But was thinking of having a break from running for a while, hence thought it might be better to get some lifting shoes instead for now. I'm only deadlifting 120 (3RM) - 140 kg (1RM) at the moment (I'm not sure where that sits, I'm around 92 kg though, so it doesn't seem much), so might stick with old runners for a while?

Thanks for the info on belts, I wasn't quite sure of their role. I might also aim to train without and build good form (luckily I train with coaches around) and then only go for belts on the bigger 1 RM lifts down the track.

Cheers!

clockworked

Like an orange
proper weightlifting shoes allowed me to improve my squat form immensely. even with light weights I couldn't get good depth, but the heal raise is like greasing all the joints; what was impossible is now easy. They definitely don't make you any stronger though...

I don't personally use them for deads as the heal lift rocks me forward more than I like

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I asked the coach about it, and recommendation was that vans or chucks etc. would be fine for now.

I'm starting a 10 week program next week, see if I can get some first targets knocked off.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Finished that 10 week program last week. Some improvements! dead is now @ 160 (+20), squat @ 135 (+15) and bench @ 85 (+10).

Now back to boxing and bikes, with occasional weights (now I kinda know how to do them).

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Quit boxing and joined a powerlifting gym back in Jan. Hit a 505 total this week with Squat: 190, Bench: 110 and Dead: 205. Getting pretty into this as a sport now.

Getting balance between weights and rides is the struggle. MTB has been neglected as a consequence, hopefully once daylight savings kicks in I can manage more than 1 ride per week.

clockworked

Like an orange
Quit boxing and joined a powerlifting gym back in Jan. Hit a 505 total this week with Squat: 190, Bench: 110 and Dead: 205. Getting pretty into this as a sport now.

Getting balance between weights and rides is the struggle. MTB has been neglected as a consequence, hopefully once daylight savings kicks in I can manage more than 1 ride per week.
Been there!
The better you get at lifting the worse you'll get at cardio. Try and prove me wrong

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
well you'll be right when it comes to standing in the attack position for hours on the downhills...
I wish I could do hours of downhills! Thats a lot of laps.

Been there!
The better you get at lifting the worse you'll get at cardio. Try and prove me wrong
The cult of crossfit says otherwise! But I agree, just want a little bit of bike fitness back though.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Competition got cancelled, the week before it was meant to happen, but understandable.

Retreated into the shed now. Borrowed a barbell and a few plates from gym so at least I can maintain a little for the next X months.

Ordered a squat stand, pretty much everyone in Aus has the same idea so its on back order - but I guess they could be shutdown at some point so it might be a lonnnng wait.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I've got a couple of kettlebells and some gymnastics rings, both of those things kick my arse. If we go into lockdown I might come out fitter than I went in.