Dumonde Tech oil for i9 Hubs (Where to get?)

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So when I swapped my freehub on my i9 hubs from a Shimano type to a Sram type, I just used normal grease on the pawls since that's pretty much what I've always done with my Hope stuff. But I've managed to generate a bit of drag and have since decided to look around and it seems they use an oil instead of grease.

Either my google-fu is weak or it seems the only way to get this oil is from a US distributor or i9 directly. Cyclinic does the Dumonde Grease that will probably work just fine (They say as much on their site) but i9 says that the oil is the preferred method.

Any ideas or things you guys on here running i9 hubs have done? Cheers

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Summit will sort you out, whenever I've dropped any of mine in for a service/true they come back sweet (not sure if they use Dumonde though).

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The dumonde grease from cyclinic is the right stuff, you can also get it from bike24. The oil is better for cold climates and the grease is better for warmer climates. There is a thread on mtbr discussing it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I read somewhere that people where using Mobil 1 oil in them. I asked i9 about it, but they would not confirm that it was a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wow, that thin huh. Makes you wonder what the Dumonde grease looks like then..

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I cracked my hub open when I got it and it had the lightest coating of some super thin oil. I almost reckon 3in1 oil would do the trick.
I reckon a light motor oil like Mobil 1 would also be pretty perfect.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I cracked my hub open when I got it and it had the lightest coating of some super thin oil. I almost reckon 3in1 oil would do the trick.
I reckon a light motor oil like Mobil 1 would also be pretty perfect.

And a damn sight cheaper. Dumonde is $30 for 1 oz

Minlak

custom titis
I think the i9 is almost identical to the project 321 and I used 80weight gear oil in it for 12 mths with no ill effects :) use only a tiny amount though.

Flow-Rider

Burner
If you can use grease in there, I wouldn't be using Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is very thin oil and it's not an extreme pressure oil, you will be better off using automotive gear or diff oil in there.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm, maybe I could've used gear oil. I've got a ton of it lying around at work lol. I've got some dumonde grease coming so that's already done.

Can definitely feel the drag using normal grease. If you spin it up on the stand and let go of the cranks they start spinning up the cranks pretty quickly.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is what Industry 9 said to me when I enquired about the Mobil 1 a while ago (Copy Paste)

There are a few companies like Phil Wood, Tenacious Oil or Bio Lube, or Pedros Syn Lube. Anything labeled like that will work. Grease will be too heavy and they do not recommend motor oil due to how thick that can be. Lighter the better in that area!