DH Focus SAM Raw

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Some of you might have seen the build taking place over in the 'What did you do...' thread. I finally finished putting it together last night, so here's the complete build spec.

Frame - Focus SAM in raw alloy
Rear shock - Fox Float X Evol
Front shock/fork - Fox 36 Factory rc2
Handlebars - Spank Spike Vibrocore cut to 780mm
Stem - Thomson 70mm
Headset - Cane Creek 110
Grips - ODI Rogue
Saddle - Selle SMP Hybrid
Seatpost - Brand X ascend internal
Front brake - Saint m810 with Goodridge lines and floating 203mm rotor
Rear brake - Saint m810 with Goodridge lines and floating 203mm rotor
Cranks - Raceface Aefect.
Chainguide - cSixx carbon 150gm
Chain - KMC x10
Pedals - Time ATAC Z
Front derailleur -
Rear derailleur - XT m781 with Oneup radcage
Front shifter -
Rear shifter - XTR m980
Cassette - XT m771 with Oneup 42t expander
Front hub - Hope Pro2 evo
Rear hub - Hope Pro2 evo
Front rim - Stans Flow Ex
Rear rim - Stans Flow Ex
Spokes - Dt
Nipples - Dt
Tyres - Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 front, Geax Saguaro 2.2 rear
Tubes -
Total weight - ??? A lot less than my Rocky Mountain Switch with coil suspension.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

I think I've been looking at Nicolai's too long, this thing looks really short now.
Still think those rim decals need murdering.

Where do you put the waterbottle?

Oddjob

I think I've been looking at Nicolai's too long, this thing looks really short now.
Still think those rim decals need murdering.

Where do you put the waterbottle?
I knew you would be the one asking the awkward questions.

No bottle mounts. I use a camelbak anyway but will be getting a Back Country Research Super 8 Top Tube strap for tubes, tools etc. https://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/back-country-research-super-8-top-tube-mount

It just looks small because of lack of reference. I'm 193cms and only running a 70mm stem because I want to shift my weight forward. It's a pretty long bike. The Pole will be stupidly long, especially in 29er guise.

Decals and tyre branding tell me where the valves are.

I went for a quick ride this morning on the way to work. It reminds me a lot of my old Avanti D8. Similar head angle, brakes and suspension curves. Climb switch (and custom tuning from Simon) on float x is really effective for climbing. Eats curbs with float in open.

Oddjob

Looks very tidy.

What offset are the forks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Factory Series 36 FLOAT 27.5 160 FIT RC2
2015, 36, K, FLOAT, 27.5in, F-S, 160, RC2, FIT, Blk, Rainbow Logo, 15mm, 1.5 T, 44mm Rake, AM

Last edited:

Oddjob

Copied from the 'What did you do...' thread.

Took the SAM out for its first ride tonight at Manly Dam. The shakedown went off without a hitch. Only had to stop once to slow the rebound on the shock.

The SAM has all the classic faux bar/four bar characteristics. Suspension performance is highly dependant on the shock. It pedaled well with the Float X on firm and ate up the chunder with it open. I tried using the intermediate setting but it's really an unhappy compromise. This need to keep twiddling the shock is a bit awkward when the Fox36 was happy to be set with 20 clicks of lsc and 4 clicks of hsc and then forgotten about. I might send off the shock to Avalanche at some stage to get a better blowoff circuit between the lsc and hsc.

For those with sharp eyesight, they will notice I didn't use all the travel on the shock or the fork. I could soften hsc a bit, but I think when I take the bike out on Sunday for a training course I will push the bike harder and need the extra support.

The geometry screams mini dh bike, especially given that I'm running 20% sag up front and 30% at the rear. The bb is lower than I'm used to and I kept striking the pedals in spots I wasn't expecting. I even bottomed out the bashguard a few times on rollovers and corners.

The 2.3 Hans Dampf front and 2.2 Saguaro rear tyre combo was excellent. The Hans was a bit draggy but had grip everywhere. The Saguaro is a classic dry condition tyre that rolls well and breaks away predictably.

The brakes had a bit more free stroke than I like, but in a way its safer that way. The brakes have oodles of power when they bite, and I had a few 'oh shit' moments where I grabbed a handful of brake and the free stroke saved me.

All in all, very happy with the result.

Oddjob

Thanks for all the compliments.

Quick update. I weighed the bike and she is 14.9kgs. Not bad for an enduro sled in XL. I could lose 200gms just by changing pedals but given the number of pedal strikes I'm getting I need a tough pedal. I could also lose another 300gms from the wheels but would need to go I9s with carbon rims $$$. Not too many other places to lose weight on the bike without compromising descending ability.

I also did something predictably stupid. Did a training course with AMBC which was great. But while practising a step up over a brick retaining wall I crunched the carbon bashguard and took a chunk out of it :( Will take pictures and post in the fuckwits thread.

Oddjob

Nothing $200 wont fix...
Bah, I've got a $60 Ebay cheapie on the way. I had a feeling that my crappy riding would not mix well with the carbon.

In its defence though, bottom outs have been fine elsewhere. Just not hard hits onto the edge of bricks.

Oddjob

Ok so quick update. The guy behind Linkage Designs has a Focus SAM and his review is here http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2014/02/review-focus-sam-2014.html

I've got a Float X on mine which I think has less damping in the open position than his Monarch Plus. In fact I generally leave the shock in the intermediate position most of the time now as the shock has loosened up. The open position is just too wallowy.