Can America be fixed?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fast food places know how to get people in the door, ice creams, milkshakes, frappe and what ever else you name it.
Its deeper than just offering tasty shit. There's a few schools of thought. Like intergenerational nutrition education (someone recently provided me an anecdote about English dental hygiene being significantly improvedby educating pregnant women, which involved some free dental care so you know this isn't going to happen here any time soon. Fucking commies!). But there is comparisons being made to alcohol or narcotic addiction and food as a base for obesity. I know how much I love my butter!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Another family destroyed by a male licensed gun owner with licensed guns.

A faint pattern amidst the larger set of gun crime.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
we know you like shooting things zaf.

At the end of the day, I’d rather somebody come at me with a knife than a gun. Guns being harder to get a hold of means somebody whos inclined to be a cunt has a harder time of being a cunt with a gun, so has to use a knife. Cunts are always gonna be cunts. I’d much rather that cunt have to be a cunt up close, not cunt it up 50m away.

A few years ago a dude tried to mug me in the street, asked me if he could bludge a smoke and when I asked “sorry what was that mate?” He leaned in and hit me up for my wallet.
I glanced down and the prick had a knife held at waist height. I played dumb, leaned in asking what he said again and pushed the lady friend away from him. Started backing away with a “mate, this is a main street”. It didn’t take much for me to get out of his strike zone, but if he had a gun, I would’ve been abit different. I’m 6”4 and pretty solid, while old mate was about 5”not alot. Him having to come at me would’ve taken some balls on his part, but him pulling a trigger, from the safety of 5 feet away is a fair whack easier. He baulked once his initial momentum was lost.

Fuck I’m glad he didn’t have a gun, and I’m stoked neither me or the lady friend got stabbed.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, completely anecdotal and barely worth a pinch of shit but there have been a bunch of mass knife attacks recently in different parts of the world and the deaths are non-existant or very low compared to a similar style mass shooting attack. The bottom line is that a gun can kill at a distance at a rapid rate but a knife cannot. The risk factor is far lower with knives.

However, this is a little off the point that I was making - the family massacres that we've been seeing in Australia have all been by men who are licensed shooters and using licensed weapons - or they have taken licensed weapons and used them.

Zaf, not sure what you're pointing out with the graphs. Those trends are interesting though as they tend to have very similar trajectories. I wonder what other trend lines it might correlate with, such as employment, the economy, etc.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
In the two most recent local examples, a man with legally purchased guns has shot multiple family members. In the most recent case, it seems that more effective gun controls would have denied the guy his guns, as his applications 'raised red flags'.

If they'd been denied access to guns, would these blokes have grabbed a knife and done it instead? I'm pretty sure not; because, as Ultra Lord says, it's easier for the victim to defend themselves, and also because of how much harder and messier it's going to be to carry out multiple knife homicides.

Of course there are factors seperate to access associated with violent crime. But if the reasonable non-psycho sporting shooter really just wants to enjoy the hobby in a controlled environment like the range, then keep the thing stored there for when it's time to play.

Leaving them around the house enables the brain-snap spree, or opportunistic theft.