Votes: 16 100.0%
  • Clips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Say what?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

void

Likes Bikes
Seems like a bunch of fuckwits are making rules hence the start of this thread.
Yes there was a rule change this year by BMXA, novice riders are not permitted to wear pedals with a mechanical aid.

don't disagree with the rule change, watching kids fall over in staging and on the start gate demonstrates that they are not ready, yet their parents give into the peer pressure.

This is also a worthwhile read:
http://bmxaustralia.com.au/why-flat-pedals-will-improve-your-riding/

Last edited:

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I've read similar articles regarding MTB technique development too, in particular when learning how to bunny hop. With clip in pedals you still need to compress the suspension to get that spring up but with flat pedals you have to get the timing right... not as much with clips though you won't get as good a clearance.

moorey

call me Mia
Kids really don’t learn good jumping and hopping technique with clips if they’ve never ridden flats. I see it all the time in the kids coaching sessions I run. They can ride fast on groomed trails, but suffer as soon as anything more technical pops up.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
What the? Since when did bmx use clipless pedals? Are kids seriously wearingspds on bmx? That fully defies what I understand bmx to be.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
What the? Since when did bmx use clipless pedals? Are kids seriously wearingspds on bmx? That fully defies what I understand bmx to be.

It’s even rarer to see flat pedals at a race meet in bmx than it is the world enduro series.

Nobody runs flats, except for funsies.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
It’s even rarer to see flat pedals at a race meet in bmx than it is the world enduro series.

Nobody runs flats, except for funsies.
Never did BMX but my guess is since it became an Olympic sport, shit got serious...probably a little before I suppose to get the kind of push it needed to get it there.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Kids really don’t learn good jumping and hopping technique with clips if they’ve never ridden flats. I see it all the time in the kids coaching sessions I run. They can ride fast on groomed trails, but suffer as soon as anything more technical pops up.
I'm with him.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never did BMX but my guess is since it became an Olympic sport, shit got serious...probably a little before I suppose to get the kind of push it needed to get it there.
BMXers have been racing in spds since the original red DX pedals came out.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Then I'm all for the parents reaping what they sow.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Race in clips, train on flats is how the saying goes isn't it hehe. We were pretty full on with the BMX racing for 3-4 yrs and at first I was really hesitant about putting my kids in clips but I have come to the realization that they need to train on both. Clips is a completely different kind of riding and being able to ride both clips and flats will make them even better riders. It's up to you as dad to make sure they spend the right amount of time on each pedal. I know guys that would run flats one week, clips the other. Others will do a % flats days vs clips. I use to keep them on flats as much as possible but leading in to a big event would run them on clips the week leading up to it. Really comes down to how serious your kid wants to be competitive.

void

Likes Bikes
no need to worry about this now, UCI and BMXA have banned clipless pedals (cleat interlocking systems) for riders under 13.