Craftworks ENR

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Put down on a frame minus shock.
Will be building it more for descent with 170 36rc2 and CCDBA and 1.5 degree slacker headset. And custom black stickers for black look.
Any feedback on how it runs with the slacker headset? Read a couple of the early mag reviews which indicate it might be a bit steep for my liking.

Hi guys!
We're still planning on updating the FRX, it'll be aimed at the 'trail' segment, so there's not too much overlap with the ENR.
Hopefully will have something in the works for later in 2018.

Cheers,
Hugh.
Have you still got large frames in stock? Any options to purchase the frame with different shocks - e.g. CCDBA or Fox Float X2?

Last edited:

Craftworks

Craftworks
G'day @smitho, sorry for the slow response.
Yes we've still got a few large frames in stock.
There are definitely options to spec the frame with different shocks; we don't keep the DB Air or Fox X2 in stock, but can get hold of them for you.
Hit us up at contact [at] craftworkscycles dot com and I can work out some pricing for you.
Cheers,
Hugh.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Not quite out of stock, although that would be a nice problem to have!
We've got one 'GX' build kit left, and a handful of Large frames, and more Medium frames.
It certainly has been a success so far, although the 'story' is not over yet. Considering that we developed and launched the ENR with virtually zero marketing budget, it has been taken up promptly, and very well received.
We'll be continuing with this design in 2018, with some geo/sizing refinements.

Cheers,
Hugh
Have the geo and sizing refinements happened or are they still coming? Interested but am keen on a little longer and slacker than the current large.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode one as well. It's an awesome bike but the large was way to small so the bike budget is still intact.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I rode one as well. It's an awesome bike but the large was way to small so the bike budget is still intact.
That's pretty much the only reason I don't own another Craftworks too. Hopefully one day they'll recognise the larger boned of us! :D

jenk0s

Likes Dirt
That's pretty much the only reason I don't own another Craftworks too. Hopefully one day they'll recognise the larger boned of us! :D
I'm in the same boat (6'1"), they did a reach adjust headset for me which should stretch it out to something more familiar

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I'm in the same boat (6'1"), they did a reach adjust headset for me which should stretch it out to something more familiar
Reach adjust headset?? Haven't heard of that before... How much extra cockpit length is that buying you?

jenk0s

Likes Dirt
Reach adjust headset?? Haven't heard of that before... How much extra cockpit length is that buying you?
5mm, that and a 50mm stem brings it pretty much in line with the latest enduro bikes with a 40mm stem.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did the Craftworks Demo day at the You Yangs today and got to try a couple of different rides both with different specs.

Have been off the bike for a few months so was not able to directly compare back to back with my previous rides and fitness/skills were down. Last couple of bikes have been Specialized Enduros (2012 26in and 2016 27.5in) which I think provide a good baseline (read generic) enduro to compare to.

First bike I rode was Hugh's, which was size large and specced with Eagle GX, SRAM Guides, Cane Creek DB Air CS, 170mm Cane Creek Helms, and 1.5 degree angleset, but was running 29er forks and 29er front wheel. Took it for a hammer down Boulder, then Cressys. First up was the fire road climb. Didn't bother with the climb switch on the shock, the bike just motored uphill. Seated there was no perceptible movement in the suspension and buckets of grip. Pointed downhill it took a little while to adapt to the 29/27.5 combo, and it probably wasn't my favourite - steering flip flopped a little. It felt a little short in the top tube with an approx 50mm stem, but had fairly narrow bars with quite a lot of sweep.

There's no discernible drag, noise, or frame contact from the more complex drivetrain.

Suspension is very playful, nice ramp up and easy to pop off every feature. Best I can say about it is that its really unnoticeable - it just does its thing and that's a damn good thing. There's plenty of support in corners,and it feels like quite a firm platform. It doesn't wallow and is easy to get up to speed. On bigger hits there's a nice progressive ramp up deeper in the travel. The setup on the bikes I rode definitely responded better to a hard charging riding style. The suspension was not particularly supple, but I think this was down to setup, as the fork also had quite a firm tune. There's a square edged hit on a slight uphill section of boulder, which the bike just ate up. I found that on Cressy's I was comfortably clearing the gaps with 1-2 pedal strokes less - it just feels fast and makes you want to sprint every section. Wiht the 29er front and the rearward axle path, this thing absolutely destroyed rock gardens.

My Strava times on Cressys were in the ballpark of my regular times even including a couple of supremely shit line choices, and general decline in fitness and skills having been off the bike.

Then had a go on Jordan's bike. Size large, SRAM XO1 drive train, Cane Creek DB Air IL, Formula Cura brakes, and Formula forks (can't remember if they were 35s or Selvas). Straight away I felt perfectly comfortable on the bike, there was no need to adapt riding style or adjust setup - it just felt right. It's still not a long cockpit, but it puts you squarely in the middle of the bike and results in a very balanced feeling ride. Again approx 50mm stem and relatively narrow bars, so a wider set might make it feel a bit longer. I was a bit unsure on the previous one with the 29er front, but fell in love with it when I rode the second one. The 2 degree angleset feels absolutely spot on

This bike had obviously been ridden hard - there were a few creaks from the headset and bottom bracket - but despite the hard life there was zero noise or play from the linkage. Even when getting rowdy I never got the sense there was any flex or play in the rear - it's a very stiff frame.

With the more comfortable setup this bike absolutely charged. It's a damn fun bike to ride, which makes you want to boost every side hit. I took it down Travs and Cressys. It just feels fast. It pops nicely off every lip you can find, and is super stable in the air. It feels planted through the corners, nimble in the tech and stable once the speed rises. Managed to badly case one gap and the rearward axle path noticeably ate it up.

Cheers to Hugh and Jordan too - great blokes to deal with. Now someone buy my Enduro frame so I can get one of these ...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Came across the guys out at Youies today, semi-by-chance. Knew they were going to be there, but hadn't booked anything with them. They were still very friendly and approachable, and we actually ended up riding a few trails with them as it was getting quieter when we rocked up mid-afternoon.

I only did a "carpark ride" around, but the rearward action of the suspension travel feels awesome through the ruts and washouts, I just doesn't really gete the speed knocked out of it. I would've taken one for a proper ride , but declined as I'm in the same boat as wkkie below:
Still a good 30mm shorter than I'd like as a minimum....
By chance I echoed that to them, that I'd love to see an XL with around 480 reach (maybe a few times, putting the word out for the lanky ones! ;)). They said they'd had quite a bit of interest in an XL sizing, so hopefully something comes of that in the future. Felt way lighter than I expected, and really well balanced. Watched a couple of others climbing on them and they just don't bob at all (unless the need to obviously). Very impressive linkage design. I reckon it'd make an amazing bike for places like Falls/Bright, where it'd carry brilliant speed, but be able to soak up the random babyhead rocks that scatter the trails (or at least did last time I was up there...) and not lose speed doing so.