DT Swiss XM 1501 30mm ID

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Guys,

I've just (dismantled and) built up a new bike, a Kona Honzo CR Trail.

Pretty happy with the parts spec I have installed but the stock wheelset runs in at a hefty 2250g. Only about 650g heavier than the wheels I am running on my other bike! They are WTB i29 asym rims (580g each) on some generic hubs+spokes. The wheels are rock solid and ride nice and direct, as they should be at that weight.

Looking at the DT Swiss XM 1501 wheelset in the 30mm ID that are stated to come in at 1780g with the XM 481 rims (I believe) weighing 525g each. The rim weight difference isn't huge given the cost involved.

Seems around $1200 to $1400 landed which is a lofty price for alloy rims.

Am I right in understanding that the XM 1501 wheelset is basically DT240s + 24 hole XM481 rims + comp spokes ?

If so, I can buy all of that gear for about $850 it seems.

Anyone got any comments on the XM 1501 wheelset or suggest any alternatives around 1800 grams to look at ?

Cheers

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I have had several sets of xm1501's in 27.5, 29" and 29 with RS1 front hub spread across the current and previous generation.

I currently have a set of the 30mm internals in a 29" on my hardtail.

They are probably my favourite sensibly priced wheels.

The hubs are 240's. It says on them! I just checked one of mine.

They are excellent quality and the new ones come with both the XD and Shimano freehub body. They are also ready taped for tubeless. the previous generation you had to tape yourself, although it was supplied

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I have had several sets of xm1501's in 27.5, 29" and 29 with RS1 front hub spread across the current and previous generation.

I currently have a set of the 30mm internals in a 29" on my hardtail.

They are probably my favourite sensibly priced wheels.

The hubs are 240's. It says on them! I just checked one of mine.

They are excellent quality and the new ones come with both the XD and Shimano freehub body. They are also ready taped for tubeless. the previous generation you had to tape yourself, although it was supplied
I've got a set of the 23mm internal rim width spline1 wheels as a spare wheel set. They're great. Nice and light and quite good engagement. I'd have upgraded the star ratchet but I got a set of Industry 9 hubs instead.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
1800 grams is an easy number to hit. Hope Pro 4 or Dt 350 laced to 29er Dt ex471s with Dt Comps should give ~1850gms. Super comp spokes will drop that below 1800. Total cost should be around $850 with the wheel build.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Travis22

Likes Dirt
The EX 1501 spline 1 30mmID are the ex511 rim.

There are 3 verions available in the 1501 spline 1 wheelsets. XM, EX and another one i cannot remember. (XM is the lightest - ‘trail’ wheelset, EX is their ‘enduro’ wheelset and the other is a heavy duty wheelset designed for ebikes). And then a heap of different widths in each model.

They all use a different rim, the XM is about 100grams lighter then the EX’s iirc per wheel.

Ive just bought the EX1501 30mm internal wheelset, was about $1300-1350iirc from my local bike shop. They didnt come with both drivers, but i believe you can ask for whichever one you need and it will be delivered with that one. They all come with the 36tooth star ratchet and use the new 240s hubs.

Oh and they are only available in 28spoke count too for some reason.

I wanted to get a wheelset built up but at the end of the day i couldnt find anywhere online to buy all the bits and pay someone to built the equiv of these wheels for any less...

I was bent over a barrel tho as i needed boost front non boost rear so that killed a lot off a lot of potential Wheelsets from OS as they wouldnt split boost/non boost.

So far so good, very tough wheelset! The freewheel / rear hub sounds amazing. Had 25mm internal before these so some of it will be the increase to 30mm but again the wheelset feels so stiff and tougher then my old wheelset (stans arch mk3 + 350’s).

Travis.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
1800 grams is an easy number to hit. Hope Pro 4 or Dt 350 laced to 29er Dt ex471s with Dt Comps should give ~1850gms. Super comp spokes will drop that below 1800. Total cost should be around $850 with the wheel build.

Looking for something around 30 ID. Will build myself unless I fork out for a prebuilt.

Kinda DT hub fixated, having 5 DT hub wheelsets already. Damn boost.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The EX 1501 spline 1 30mmID are the ex511 rim.
I'd be fine with the XM version for this bike (hardtail).

Ive just bought the EX1501 30mm internal wheelset, was about $1300-1350iirc from my local bike shop. They didnt come with both drivers, but i believe you can ask for whichever one you need and it will be delivered with that one. They all come with the 36tooth star ratchet and use the new 240s hubs.
They advertise that the wheelsets come with both ?

QUOTE="Travis22, post: 3199611, member: 24485"]Oh and they are only available in 28spoke count too for some reason.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I am cool with 28H but would feel dumb actually building up a non 32H wheelset for some reason. I have as many 28H wheels than 32Hs and they have been just as reliable.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Looking for something around 30 ID. Will build myself unless I fork out for a prebuilt.

Kinda DT hub fixated, having 5 DT hub wheelsets already. Damn boost.
Ex511s have a 60gm penalty per rim. If you will build yourself, get 240 hubs to offset the weight and should still come to around $850 from ze germans.

teK--

Eats Squid
The ex511 are a great rim. I have bought 2 for my Hope 4 build.

Long story but I ended up with an extra ex511 if anyone in Melbourne is interested. Brand new still in wrap. Just PM me.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Running XM1501's here creaky, 29" boost 30ID, and the rim dimensions are identical to XM481's as you say. The new 2017+ Spline One are definitely 240s hubs (confirmed on the DT Swiss website), 28 spoke as they are straightpull - you can't machine the SP hub for a higher spoke count without making it weaker. If they look like this they are the earlier generation and may not be 240s hubs. A good review/overview can be found here too.

One bonus too, is that the rear comes standard with a 36T ratchet as well as both HG and XD drivers, and both front and rear each come with a centrelock to IS rotor adapter, tubeless valves and are already taped (well I got all that when I bought a pair from bike24 last year), so there's a couple of hundred bucks in extras right there which makes the overall price a bit more compelling. Travis, if you got them through your LBS and they didn't give you all those extras, I reckon they might be short changing you - unless the local distro (Apollo Bikes) is shafting everyone? I bought front and rear online separately to avoid the $1k threshold, but that no longer applies I guess.

Bit of detail in the attached - including spoke lengths - DT comp straightpulls, and usage recommendations. Even in 29" the XM's are super stiff under my solid (ok, fat) build and are the sweet spot for general trail riding. I'm not ready to commit to the expense of carbon rims and I don't see how you can beat the DT alloy wheels in terms of quality, price and performance... but each to their own. Make sure you pick up Torque Caps too if you need them, and spare spokes and nipples can be had from bike-components in packs of 5. My greatest fear is that if you taco a rim, you'd probably not be able to get a replacement rim with the funky waterslide XM decal to keep the bling the same at both ends, or at least it would be a lot dearer than an off the shelf XM481. Probably easier to buy a whole new Spline One wheel and sell the old hub in that case.

I like my XM1501's so much that I've recently bought some 27.5" 30ID EX511's to build up on 350 hubs for an upcoming hardtail build. I went for EX's this time because they might cop a bit more of a beating on a hardtail, and they might end up on something like a Spitfire or a Rune someday so I wanted them tough.

Attachments

Travis22

Likes Dirt
My local bike shop deff didnt remove the other freewheel driver, nor the centrelock adapters. They were rim taped and had the tubeless valves in the plastic packaging and paperwork which came with the wheels but that was it.

Friend of mine also bought the same wheelset a month before me (from one of the other lbs around here) and he didnt get the ‘extras’ either.

My wheels we’re recieved boxed up from the distributor which i opened at my lbs and as above the other bits werent there. Also fwiw, mine was also missing the 36tooth star ratchet (had an 18in there). That pissed me right off as i was heading away for the weekend and while i am located no more then 15minutes from the distributor i was assured the would get me the replacement ratchet kit the next day (friday) it didnt happen... took well into the next week to resolve, it turns out it went to the wrong store. They did give me a complete 36tooth service kit so i was at least happy with that (extra springs and grease tub).

Yeh, i have all the luck i know!

Travis.

Last edited:

Nambra

So it seems that bike24 were quite generous or Apollo is repacking wheelsets locally and keeping parts to re-sell.

If you look at that first document I attached, it says the rear comes with the Shimano driver fitted as standard, and for SRAM 11 speed it is "compatible with included accessory".

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Mine also had the centrelock adaptors. The advert on bike 24 stipulated everything they came with and it was all there which was nice!
Pretty sad if the locally supplied ones aren't getting the full package.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They do come from the Australian Distributor with both freehubs and CL adaptors - no shafting there. The XM1501 30mm Uses the Xm481 Rim, and the EX1501 30mm Uses the EX511 Rim.

The reason the 1501 Series is lighter than any custom build is the hub is actually a lot lighter than a normal 240s Straight pull it uses the 240 internals but a few lighter weight parts and a lighter hub shell. Also, they use 28h because DT Swiss have tested it as being equivelent to 32hole strength to weight.

Nambra

I stand corrected then... not sure why Travis didn't get all his bits.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Yeh something sus going on here.

As i said it wasnt just me.

A friend bought his wheelset a month before i bought mine, via a different LBS and his were delivered with only the one freehub and without the centrelock adapters.

Like i, he didnt know any different either, but i remember he commented specifically about having to buy new 6bolt rotors for the wheelset while his old rotors were fine and centrelock type.

(Both of us bought EX1501 spline 1 30mmID wheelsets). Ive still got my box and everything it came from Apollo with and these parts arent in there...

Just to be 100% sure again, ive just taken everything out of the box and the SRAM freehub and CL adapters are NOT in there.

Last edited:

Nambra

Perhaps contact Apollo for a please explain? You've got nothing to lose.

I didn't have a pleasing experience with them when I was chasing torque caps for my XM1501 front hub. All I wanted was to get confirmation of the correct DT Swiss part number (there was a change in hub type from 2016 to 2017 and I wasn't certain of the new part number - it's HWGXXX0009102S for the 2017+ version if you want to know). DT Swiss referred me to Apollo as the local distro who in turn told me I had to go to a LBS that handled DT Swiss and ask them what I needed. In the end I supported the LBS (not their fault I got the run around) and bought through them and had to wait about 5 weeks, because Apollo had to order them in, when I could have ordered online for about half the price and got them in 10 days.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, i see. in 2017 the 1501 Series came into Australia as 6 bolt hubs and only with one freehub body - in Early 2018 they made the change and were only available as centrelock, included the 6 bolt rotor and also included the second freehub body. They are the identical wheelset other than that spec change, but if you have a set that are 6 bolt - they cannot be converted to CL, you can only convert centrelock hubs to fit both types of rotor.

Its not like you got an old model, as they 6 bolt was more popular especially for the EX series. I know Apollo ordered plenty of 6 bolt EX1501 to have stock into 2018. Because they didn't come with the second freehub the retailers were able to opt for their choice of freehub.