Handle bar roll

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I was really looking for a more scientific approach. Fine, I'll use a spirit level
When I bought my last set of bars I went riding some familiar trails with old & new bars at the car, and an allen key in my pocket.
I did a few laps with new versus old....and then a few more laps with the new bars in different positions. Didn't take long to find the 'sweet spot'.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
When I bought my last set of bars I went riding some familiar trails with old & new bars at the car, and an allen key in my pocket.
I did a few laps with new versus old....and then a few more laps with the new bars in different positions. Didn't take long to find the 'sweet spot'.
You my man, are truly dedicated. I will take an allen key tonight though. But I think my wife will beat me, more, if I constantly stop to change out the bars. Especially as by the time we get home it's about 2c outside. Only -6c this morning. Balmy almost

creaky

XMAS Plumper
You mean that you actually spent your time testing and resolving a personal setup issue rather than talking about it on an internet forum ? Madness.

DMan

You mean that you actually spent your time testing and resolving a personal setup issue rather than talking about it on an internet forum ? Madness.
Where's the fun in that really...:confused: Waaaaitt, are you being sarcastic? I've never been good with spotting sarcasm...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I was really looking for a more scientific approach. Fine, I'll use a spirit level
Use a spririt level and a protractor for more scientificness. "Neutral" is where the up and backsweep angles match the bar manufacturer's specification when the bike is on level ground.

A straight bar will be dead flat when viewed from front on, no rise or droop from the stem, but will sweep back when seen from above.

Many riser bars are designed with a few degrees of upsweep after the bar straightens out from the central rise; neutral will match the upsweep to the bar's spec, rolling back will reduce the upsweep and increase the backsweep, while rolling forward will increase the upsweep and reduce the backsweep.

Orientation of the guide marks will vary by brand, but typically the zero mark will be dead centre through the axis of the bar top or front as applicable, with the bike on level ground.

Last edited:

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
You my man, are truly dedicated. I will take an allen key tonight though. But I think my wife will beat me, more, if I constantly stop to change out the bars. Especially as by the time we get home it's about 2c outside. Only -6c this morning. Balmy almost
-6 ?!
Geez, I thought it's been chilly at my place but that's fresh. Where are you riding?

DMan

Use a spririt level and a protractor for more scientificness. "Neutral" is where the up and backsweep angles match the bar manufacturer's specification when the bike is on level ground.

A straight bar will be dead flat when viewed from front on, no rise or droop from the stem, but will sweep back when seen from above.

Many riser bars are designed with a few degrees of upsweep after the bar straightens out from the central rise; neutral will match the upsweep to the bar's spec, rolling back will reduce the upsweep and increase the backsweep, while rolling forward will increase the upsweep and reduce the backsweep.

Otientation of the guide marks will vary by brand, but typically the zero mark will dead centre through the axis of the bar top or front as applicable, with the bike on level ground.
How does this look then?

Attachments

DMan

I have to say this setting it like the photos is waaaaay more forward than my normal position. This should be interesting and if it is now normal, could explain my back pain and numb fingers

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’ve never been able to work out what neutral is. Have wondered about it a bit when buying new bars though.
But I did find that I really gelled with Cromag bars and when I bought a bike with RF Bars which have slightly different numbers I really Couldnt get along with them and pissed them right off.
Stirks method is how I do it. It all about them feels.

DMan

I’ve never been able to work out what neutral is. Have wondered about it a bit when buying new bars though.
But I did find that I really gelled with Cromag bars and when I bought a bike with RF Bars which have slightly different numbers I really Couldnt get along with them and pissed them right off.
Stirks method is how I do it. It all about them feels.
True, but I'm chasing a starting point. I think I've found it but it's way different to what I've been used to. I didn't realise how far back I had my bars back until I set them up to what I think is neutral. Trying to break a bad habit now..