Thoughts on a good wheelset

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Cartridge bearings are pretty reasonable at taking purely radial loads, but pretty ordinary at taking lateral loads. So ther're fine if you don't corner much, or at all. Plus they're not actually that well sealed......

LPG

likes thicc birds
Cartridge bearings are pretty reasonable at taking purely radial loads, but pretty ordinary at taking lateral loads. So ther're fine if you don't corner much, or at all. Plus they're not actually that well sealed......
I started posting something more technical but deleted it as it was beyond what is needed. Basically the gist was that radial ball bearings are ok for bike hubs and on the plus size they are easy to get a hold of and when you replace them you replace all running surfaces with new. Having the races part of the hub shell and the cones really isn't ideal as they aren't replaceable. I'd rather be able to pop into a bearing shop and get a replacement complete bearing. I really doubt the races built in shimano hubs use material or tolerances that even compares with cheap cartridge bearings. They probably have to go overboard with the bearings to make them last. I'd rather go oversize on radial ball bearings to deal with the thrust load and be able to replace all of it when the time comes.

But if someone made a decent hub with angular contact ball bearings or taper roller bearings that was well sealed...

Sorry, I'll try and fade back now and do what I'm supposed to be doing.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah I dunno they always leak thru the valve stem whatever I try . Sometimes silicon works .
When they leak thru almost every spoke hole I presume that is cos the valve air tracks along the middle channel under the tape.
Maybe I dont use enough sealant or rotate them enough.
Otherwise Stans seem good.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Have a look at the Hope DH rims on Pro4 hubs.

Seal up well and good width (29mm internal), don't dint too easily. Good value as well. I've run them previously and I'm around your weight.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah I dunno they always leak thru the valve stem whatever I try . Sometimes silicon works .
When they leak thru almost every spoke hole I presume that is cos the valve air tracks along the middle channel under the tape.
Maybe I dont use enough sealant or rotate them enough.
Otherwise Stans seem good.
Totes sounds like user error to me, sorry @rowdyflat. A valve hole is a valve hole is a valve hole. Tried tightening?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Tried tightening with needle nose pliers to really squish the valve in there?
I don't like that technique and have always found I can get sufficient compression by pushing down on the valve with my left thumb down on the rubber end inside the rim as hard as I can whilst tightening with my right hand. At least that way you know you can get the valve out if you need to put a tube in whilst out of the workshop.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
+1 for Spank

If you want to buy already built off the shelf then you can't really go wrong with Hope for about $500-$600

moorey

call me Mia
I don't like that technique and have always found I can get sufficient compression by pushing down on the valve with my left thumb down on the rubber end inside the rim as hard as I can whilst tightening with my right hand. At least that way you know you can get the valve out if you need to put a tube in whilst out of the workshop.
I use pliers liberally...and always carry mini pliers in my riding kit anyway....
Wee ripper. Better than leaking valves.
4EBB96D7-F6C2-43D2-B9FE-FE5ADD8E8090.jpeg

Last edited:

damo666

Likes Dirt
So whilst on the subject, any recent thoughts on the Stans hubs?

Their complete wheelsets seems ridiculously light (1795g for Flows?), but I seem to recall lots of early horror stories about the Neo hubs.