Buxton and Lake Mountain Thread

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Assuming Buxton closed now--usually after Queen's birthday until September, yeah? (Luckily, went last week if this is so)
Yup, official word posted on the usual outlets today that the park is now closed for the winter. Re-opening date is scheduled for September 22nd, but that can be delayed if the weather is shit.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Buxton is a great place. Looking forward to getting back there late in the year!

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Buxton is opening this weekend! ... according to their FB page.

Worth a ride especially if you haven't been on it since Dirt Art did some work on it early this year

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Buxton is opening this weekend! ... according to their FB page.

Worth a ride especially if you haven't been on it since Dirt Art did some work on it early this year
Posts gone? Or has fb gone down the road of not showing posts in chronological order?

wkkie

I remember seeing a post about it recently. I think it was from someone form parks, and they said they were still on track for the September 22 opening.

But I can't find that post.... Looking forward to getting out there again though!

wkkie

Screenshot_20180919-155311_crop_720x615.jpg

Good to go! There will be a few heading up on Monday the 8th if there's any mid week riders interested.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hopefully heading out to Buxton for the first time early tomorrow morning.
Say G'day if you see my bright orange bike getting around!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I got out very early on Saturday morning. Trails are awesome, very flowing and minimal damage or braking bumps, so smooth.
Cathedral track was a little slick in places and watch out for the 'green' clay! Had a couple of moments lol. But likely now gone with the amount of traffic it had on the weekend.

The track down the valley of ferns 'spider valley' i think, was still a little damp but not too bad. Great track.

Last edited:

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
This Saturday's weather looks like it's going to be pretty damn good.

Thinking of hitting up Buxton and rounding up a few burners as per @Chriso_29er 's idea

Thoughts on setting off at 11 (get there 10.30ish to unpack, meet n greet, fap over bikes) then do a lap of what covers almost all the new sections Dirt Art worked on, then decide which trails to hit up again. Probably 3-4 hours all up.
You can see below in my pov red outline.

For those who haven't done Buxton, it's a very cruisy climb and descent. 3 small to large gap jumps to hit at your leisure but a lot of nice berms and some tabletops.

Tag anyone who you think would be interested in coming.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I did a single lap of #2 with my children on Thursday last week, the loop was smooth, clear and riding really well. Encountered a quite large tiger snake at the bottom of Spider Gully and (unrelated) no toilet paper in the loo so bring your own.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I did a single lap of #2 with my children on Thursday last week, the loop was smooth, clear and riding really well. Encountered a quite large tiger snake at the bottom of Spider Gully and (unrelated) no toilet paper in the loo so bring your own.
If you go past the turnoff to the road that leads to Buxton MTB Park, a few seconds later there is a public loo (next to a park or oval) which is very clean with ample toilet paper haha

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This Saturday's weather looks like it's going to be pretty damn good.

Thinking of hitting up Buxton and rounding up a few burners as per @Chriso_29er 's idea

Thoughts on setting off at 11 (get there 10.30ish to unpack, meet n greet, fap over bikes) then do a lap of what covers almost all the new sections Dirt Art worked on, then decide which trails to hit up again. Probably 3-4 hours all up.
You can see below in my pov red outline.
Good idea - I would be interested, but am working that day. Another time!

rsclio

Likes Dirt
I donated a roll on Friday

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unfortunately I'm full up with family commitments for around the next month. Only opportunity for me will be very early morning (I know not everyones cup a tea).
Might be able to give you a thumbs up on the hwy as I head back to town :(

wkkie

Headed out to Buxton yesterday and the trails are in really good nick.

All the berms were solid and smooth with the exception of the berms on the descent of Cathedral. They were a little blown out and covered in some leaf litter which made them a little slippery in parts.

There were a few trees down, but luckily nothing on any of the downhills. Lots of little face slappers though. Usually mid air or on the landing of jumps, which made things arkward at times...

My camera was playing up, and the only footage I got was going through fern gully on track 2, which was really nice.

Also had the necessary shot of Cathedral, just prior to the descent...