What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Binaural

Eats Squid
The reduced durability of a 54 tooth ratchet doesn't surprise me at all. I once killed a star ratchet hub by cracking off the tip of a tooth, which dropped into the gap between two other teeth, acting like a roller, and held the ratchet engagement faces apart. Result: over the bars, slowly, taking off in traffic. The larger the gap between teeth in that design, the less likely you are to suffer the same fate. Besides, 36t is good enough for trials, it would be fine for just riding around.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The reduced durability of a 54 tooth ratchet doesn't surprise me at all. I once killed a star ratchet hub by cracking off the tip of a tooth, which dropped into the gap between two other teeth, acting like a roller, and held the ratchet engagement faces apart. Result: over the bars, slowly, taking off in traffic. The larger the gap between teeth in that design, the less likely you are to suffer the same fate. Besides, 36t is good enough for trials, it would be fine for just riding around.
This is the only thing that has held me back from DT hubs and wheels. The 36t ratchet on a 350 hub is less than the 44t on the cheaper Hope Pro 4 (the Dt 350 comes with the 18t as standard, so need to factor in upgrade cost). The lighter and more expensive 240 lags waaaaay behind the similarly light and pricey I9 and P321 hubs, even with the 54t upgrade.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
This is the only thing that has held me back from DT hubs and wheels. The 36t ratchet on a 350 hub is less than the 44t on the cheaper Hope Pro 4 (the Dt 350 comes with the 18t as standard, so need to factor in upgrade cost). The lighter and more expensive 240 lags waaaaay behind the similarly light and pricey I9 and P321 hubs, even with the 54t upgrade.
Putting the difference between our bikes aside, is there a noticeable difference in engagement?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've ridden wheels at 18t engagement all the way up to 120. Can definitely feel the difference between those two. But once you get to 36 and above, I can barely tell other than the buzz. More poe usually means more drag anyway.

Got some tyres mounted. Really not pleased with the centerlock adapters. The Shimano adapters look like a better solution, albeit a touch heavier. Either that or centerlock rotors.

Oddjob

Putting the difference between our bikes aside, is there a noticeable difference in engagement?
Yep. I run Hope Pro2 (24t) Pro2 Evo (24&40t) and I9 & P321 (120t. 144t or 216t optional).

For most gravity stuff it doesn't make a difference. You're usually going to be going quick, in a slightly low gear with a high cadence so engagement tine will be quick anyway.

Where it makes a big difference is climbing and techy obstacles. Being able to ratchet and have instant drive can be the difference betweening cleaning a step up or crashing.

This is what makes the Pole, which has a P321 hub, a passable trail bike. It has loads of straightline traction so you can get on the power to accelerate quickly when it just wants to flop over due to the raked out front.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oddjob

I've ridden wheels at 18t engagement all the way up to 120. Can definitely feel the difference between those two. But once you get to 36 and above, I can barely tell other than the buzz. More poe usually means more drag anyway.
I can definitely feel the difference between 40t and 120t. I also reckon that the I9 torch freehub has less drag than the Hope freehub. This could be down to the fancy grease for the I9 freehub though.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can definitely feel the difference between 40t and 120t. I also reckon that the I9 torch freehub has less drag than the Hope freehub. This could be down to the fancy grease for the I9 freehub though.

I guess I more meant I don't think it makes a huge difference for riding over 40t. But, I also admit there's bugger all slow speed tech around here so milage will vary.

Oddjob

If you get out of your saddle and stop pulling your brakes, you might find technical climbs a little easier.
Says the man with no hills to speak of.

Ps has the chainguide arrived yet? I'm betting at some point you're going to cave and just get two 40t rings made up by Cycle underground.

Oddjob

They're no alps, but the MacDonnell Ranges still have the five tallest mountains in the NT amongst them. Is it always about size with you?
Mountains have feelings to you know, Adventure Time has so many lessons to teach.

Nice diversion. What's happening with the chainguide?

PS that second photo is at least 50kms out of town and you don't have a car, so I aint buying that you're climbing those all the time.
upload_2018-9-20_9-2-17.png