EMtb’s to feature in National championships

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also Ebike racing will be more entertaining to watch than normal human powered racing.
I think i saw someone on pinkbike say that they would like to see the DH guys race a track then the next race watch the ebike guys ride up it. Would be pretty entertaining.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So essentially what the uci are doing with emtbs is condoning motor doping because it will make for a better racing spectacle.. Just like they did back in the day with epo doping, turning a blind eye to it because race speeds were 10km/h faster and created more interest.
It makes zero fucking sense to have the cycling bodies represent electric motor biking. They are a disgrace for sanctioning it. I have nothing against ebike racing each other as long as it is organised by their own electronic motor cycling union.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So essentially what the uci are doing with emtbs is condoning motor doping because it will make for a better racing spectacle.. Just like they did back in the day with epo doping, turning a blind eye to it because race speeds were 10km/h faster and created more interest.
It makes zero fucking sense to have the cycling bodies represent electric motor biking. They are a disgrace for sanctioning it. I have nothing against ebike racing each other as long as it is organised by their own electronic motor cycling union.
When you say the uci is condoning "motor doping" are you worried about how they will monitor the bikes to make sure it is equal and they aren't chipped/cheating?
I dont really get the idea behind e-mtb races (at the moment anyway) but think it makes total sense for them to try and govern it because it's so closely related and if they don't now then if/when it gets bigger it will be harder for them to catch up.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What I am concerned about is a cycling union promoting a motor sport.. And how shit the uci is, they are just chasing viewers and more competitors. Faster the bikes go the more people watch and that’s what they care about the most..

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
Just picked this thread up. I don't race but i do use both types of bikes from time to time. Combining EMTBs with normal bikes seems straight out odd. They have some similarities but its not the same challenge and therefore should not be part of the same race. I can see why industry commercial desires are embracing this but a combined race surely cannot be the way forward. A separate class for eMTB will no doubt grow in popularity and eventually it will just be a faster version of of non motorised bikes. So the best guys will be very fit and just going faster (maybe not a lot with 25km limit) and further. It probably will allow much less fit to participate on a different basis but that could have problems. Sort of like what happened when they started using oxygen to climb everest. Now there are complete rookies getting in the way of pro climbers at 28k feet where there is no margin for error.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All of the serious enduro moto riders i know took up mountain bike riding to get fit enough to do multi day enduro moto events...
Hardest races I ever did were the Vic Enduro series, especially the 3hr Cross Country events, offroad motorcycle racing is extremely physical, I went back to road racing as I wasn't fit enough.
E-bike racing would be just as physical as any normal mtb racing, just faster. I'm happy to be inclusive of all riders and all bikes. It's a sport and hobby and there are too many elistist fuckwits for my liking.
If it means more people riding, more entries and money for MTB clubs, bring it on.
The only problem I have, years of motorsport racing experience I've seen it, is where there is mechanical assistance/motors there is oportunity to cheat. I can't see clubs having resources to police e-bikes legalities.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
It's a sport and hobby and there are too many elistist fuckwits for my liking.
I'm not in anyway saying EVERYONE that owns one is an elitist fuckwit, but until the prices come down there's going to be a higher percentage of people with a mentality of 'I paid for this, get out of my way'. Much like the Colnago/Pinnarello set on the road bike side.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not in anyway saying EVERYONE that owns one is an elitist fuckwit, but until the prices come down there's going to be a higher percentage of people with a mentality of 'I paid for this, get out of my way'. Much like the Colnago/Pinnarello set on the road bike side.
Yep. I haven't had any issues with any bad attitudes on E-bikes anywhere I ride. Mostly just old blokes that are stoked to be out riding. All been super courteous and respectful. Had issues with elitist XC lycra fuckwits who think that because they are Cadel wannabes and hold a selection of Koms that they deserve right of way above everyone. Had one yell abuse at my son when he was 12yrs old, not needed. We are all just enjoying ourselves, do it without impacting others enjoyment the best you can and we can all get along, all bikes, all riders. It's not that fucking hard. Same with racing, if it doesn't affect your race or your result, its not worth the worry.