Improving brake performance - Rotor size?

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I recently picked up an entry-level Norco Fluid HT.

Overall, I can't really fault it as for what I need currently, it ticks all the boxes.

However, the most apparent shortcoming of the bike is the brakes.

From the factory, this trusty steed arrives with Tektro HD-M275 brakes, 180 rotor on the front and 160 on the back.

Initially, these were basically decorative and performance was appalling. After some effort getting them bedded, they are better, but still do not inspire confidence.

Aside from switching out the brakes themselves, which I want to try an avoid in the near future, I was thinking about upgrading the rotors to 203 front and 180 rear.

But I've never personally experienced the difference upgrading the size of the rotor would make on performance.

Let me know your thoughts.

PS, the current use of the bike is to tow my daughter in her little trailer to various local playgrounds. However, I would want something that when the planets align and I have a moment to myself, I can pop out to Lysterfield.

At the moment, the brakes are prohibitive of this as I feel putting out my arms as using them as air-brakes could be more effective when riding in anger.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
If you have a set lying around then try it. You have nothing to lose. Otherwise I'd upgrade the brakeset. For the price of 2 new rotors you'd get damn near a better brakeset off CRC or wiggle. Look out for sales. Brakesets are constantly on specials.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Stock Tektro brake pads are awful. See if you can get a decent set of sintered pads first.
k
aggree'd , i got tektro pads on my torrent HT, swapped to nukeproof- 3 times better, i find the brakes now actually pretty good, stop me fine on steep desc or easy blk trail

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Chuck the Tektro brakes. Even after a bleed and pad change mine were substandard.
I just have Shimano Deore hydros now and they are waaaay better than the Tektro brakes that came on my Norco.