Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
No good deed goes unpunished... Couldn’t go riding so, pulled out the new stereo/amp loom in the Alfa to properly wrap in fabric tape and route it/ tie it down better now that the design is settled.

All much neater and permanent now - but an hour was spent dealing with a molex pin on the amp plug that snapped off... Fiddly and annoying.

Also swapped in these

https://www.parts-express.com/peerl...00-04-3-4-fabric-dome-tweeter-4-ohm--264-1122

Super nice.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Looks like this, I actually remember thinking it could be a good candidate when I saw your original post - https://www.amazon.com/A6506-Engine-Integra-Replacement-EM8010/dp/B06ZY4SPZC

Most of the driving I do recently seems to be on shuttle roads and tracks to campsites that a CRV really shouldn't be on.. Lifting wheels and such. Thinking that may have contributed to the speed which the mounts are dying.
Fill the voids in a new mount but use two pack urethane. Barnes are in Richmomd and Brunswick wherever they are. Something like a 70 or 80 Shore hardness. Nothing harder.You still run the risk of doing damage elsewhere if you keep driving it like Colin Mcrae (I know he passed me on a transport stage and smashed all my lights, it was fantastic, pity he is no longer with the living).

Flow-Rider

Burner
Kelpro was making full polyurethane engine mounts years ago and I fitted a few to cars, most customers came back complaining how rough the car was and some mounts even ripped in half. It might be ok for a race car but can be a bit too rigid on a daily street car.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
keep driving it like Colin Mcrae (I know he passed me on a transport stage and smashed all my lights, it was fantastic, pity he is no longer with the living).
I was lucky enough to see him on the pea gravel in WA many years ago. Casually waving to the crowd as he launched over a crest sideways, rotating it mid air and landing sideways the other way perfectly set up for the next corner. Bloody smart arse...

Got sprayed with gravel by Makkinen too. Damn those things sounded mental - growling and whooshing/whistling turbos, with their impending arrival announced with the anti lag banging through the trees. So good.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Have you measured your response?
I have before - using room eq wizard and a calibrated microphone. At the moment I’m just dicking around by ear.

I reckon I’ll still be home crook tomorrow, so I’ll run a pink noise signal through and see how wrong I got it :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Dropped the car off for the cage today. Power steering leak has appeared. Anyway given we have missed the season now debating pulling the gearbox and diff out and fitting a Mazda 3 MPS 6 speed and lsd. Not too bad a job. It needs traction...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That’s better. Ran a response test and generated an EQ file. Knocked out all the nasty peaky bits, smooth happiness ensues :)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
DSP tuning has been a good sick day exercise... lots of time to read up on how to drive the software suites! A bit more tuning with a low shelf filter put over the whole thing to warm it up and fiddling with relative sub levels has created something genuinely miraculous considering they’re 5 inch drivers mounted to plastic door cards!!

I can’t imagine how good the Alfa will be with it’s super nice 6.5 Silver Flutes mdf mounted to metal with lots of deadening...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
DSP tuning has been a good sick day exercise... lots of time to read up on how to drive the software suites! A bit more tuning with a low shelf filter put over the whole thing to warm it up and fiddling with relative sub levels has created something genuinely miraculous considering they’re 5 inch drivers mounted to plastic door cards!!

I can’t imagine how good the Alfa will be with it’s super nice 6.5 Silver Flutes mdf mounted to metal with lots of deadening...
Lipstick on a pig.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Lipstick on a pig.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Absolutely. Cars are a shitty envIronment to attempt anything decent audio wise... Especially with what Renault gave me to work with.

Its bloody good lipstick though!!!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
and he tried to sneak in some el cheapo ALDI beer into the shot too
Tightarse!...I thought the whole DINK thing was so you could afford luxuries like that

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There is a guy on an F1 website I frequent who is supporting Renault on the basis it got him into driving. Every time his parents car broke down he would steer it off the road while his parents pushed. He had many hours experience before he was able to get a licence.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
25 years, 15 Renaults and only stranded once - and that was my fault not properly plugging a throttle position sensor in.

Even the time the R10 exploded a diff and emptied the trans fluid out through the new hole in the bell-housing it still drove home!

The cliches are a bit cliche. They’re not the best built, but not as bad as your typical GM or Ford product though!

And believe it or not I quite like that Aldi beer...

Last edited: