Derby in Tassi

Binaural

Eats Squid
Yep the campground is good, with the added bonus of a swim in the river at the end of a day on the trails. Be worth speaking to the Dorset hotel as well as the new owners are letting people camp there and they have bike storage facilities.
I've sent them an email!

Binaural

Eats Squid
Come to Maydena in January. I have a whole house.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
The negotiations to get the family to Tasmania in the first place were of a delicacy normally reserved for nuclear disarmment, going to have to pass on going back a few weeks later sadly. We should catch up for a ride though soon!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The negotiations to get the family to Tasmania in the first place were of a delicacy normally reserved for nuclear disarmment, going to have to pass on going back a few weeks later sadly. We should catch up for a ride though soon!
Cool sounds good. I usually do the Dam early Wed and Fri before work. Can go further afield on Sat afternoons with some notice.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

binner

Hath shat hymself
The 2 camp areas are pretty sweet, the one down towards The Dorset was full when we were there but the one up a bit had spots, looks like new dunnies, bbq area is being built there too... don't forget if you want to get out of Derby there is free camping at the footy ground in Winnaleah ;-)
The camp site right on bend near trail head only had 2 vans while we were there....

ohh and if you need to wash clothes The Dorset hires out laundry for like 3 bucks a wash I think...

Attachments

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The 2 camp areas are pretty sweet, the one down towards The Dorset was full when we were there but the one up a bit had spots, looks like new dunnies, bbq area is being built there too... don't forget if you want to get out of Derby there is free camping at the footy ground in Winnaleah ;-)
The camp site right on bend near trail head only had 2 vans while we were there....
Cheers for the info on the camping spots !

So let me get this right, there is the campsite in the town, on the river.... then there is another near the trailhead ?

We have been looking at alternatives to the town campsite as we are expecting a quite a few people there at the the beginning of Jan.

Could I ask you to do a screenshot map of Derby or a Google maps linked drop pin of where the other camp spots are ?

Thanks @binner

rstim

Likes Dirt
I think the best spot to camp is down below the bike wash station right on the river there is a big grass area there that runs from the new bridge almost back to the pub. It is usually unoccupied only downside is it's not as close to the amenities, definitely worth a look if you want to avoid the crowds.

So let me get this right, there is the campsite in the town, on the river.... then there is another near the trailhead ?

We have been looking at alternatives to the town campsite as we are expecting a quite a few people there at the the beginning of Jan.

Could I ask you to do a screenshot map of Derby or a Google maps linked drop pin of where the other camp spots are ?

Thanks @binner
Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

Cheers @rstim , not worried about being close but semi close is good, we stayed at Branxholm last time and it was fine... luckily Miss Shuttle Bunny only has 1 glass of wine, if its before 5pm, after that its a lemonade.

Not worried about crowds, walking distance is good, being in the town area is more important.

Thanks for the heads-up, will send you a PM with mobile number when we are confirmed on the way.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS

Thanks @binner
Here you go

Derby.JPG

Derby Park is the main camping area, with sites all the way along to River Side Roost. Trail head is just below 'Main Street'. Above 'Main Street' there is a council works depot, and people also use the grassed area to the right to camp on. The nearest dunny/ shower block to there is just below 'bed' in the St Pauls Bed and Breakfast text.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Yep the campground is good, with the added bonus of a swim in the river at the end of a day on the trails. Be worth speaking to the Dorset hotel as well as the new owners are letting people camp there and they have bike storage facilities.
This turned out to be great advice - was able to book directly with them. Looks really nice too, hope their bar is ready for me after a day's riding!

binner

Hath shat hymself
This turned out to be great advice - was able to book directly with them. Looks really nice too, hope their bar is ready for me after a day's riding!
the owners are awesome man, and the food is great, they poached chef from winny pub where we stay.... bar staff are cool. you can rock in after a hard days ride still in your gear and they don't mind, the chairs near main door are the best for late arvo relax n beer in hand. I think kitchen opens at 5pm or they do snax all day.
The pizza joint twas a bit weird when we went in for a coldie, chef came out with his steel glove on and started trying to serve beers and work till, then some bird appeared from kitchen and looked at us kinda weird and was like "ohh, do you want to drink" like she was in shock that 5 guys walked in for a cold one, we didnt go back there......

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
The forecast suggests rain for the week but I think Monday is the best day for me to try it. After the drama of closed freeways, detours, biblical flooding waiting for the boat, and a bumpy boat trip last night, a little riding in the rain will be a snack!

Is anyone riding up there now?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
The pizza joint twas a bit weird when we went in for a coldie, chef came out with his steel glove on and started trying to serve beers and work till, then some bird appeared from kitchen and looked at us kinda weird and was like "ohh, do you want to drink" like she was in shock that 5 guys walked in for a cold one, we didnt go back there......
Pizza joint (The Hub) has new owners I believe. The original couple had a breakup so it all went to custard, which was a shame they were good value. Hopefully the newbies get it sorted.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Derby was freaking awesome. Like a warm version of a ski town, everyone cruising around on MTBs and heading in and out of the mountains. Stayed at the pub and they were awesome, daggy decor but great food and cider. Beer garden was very chill after a ride when you're still covered in dirt and sweat. The thing that surprised me was how many kids were cruising around - the easy trails around the town are quite accessible for beginners, and looked like lots of people were bringing their families to camp and ride.

I think my favourite by far was Blue Tier, except I ate too much gourmet pie at the Weldborough hotel and my stomach behaved like an inertial stabiliser down Atlas.

ozzybmx

We arrive Sat'dy lunchtime, my boys are stoked about it... currently slumped on the sofa (41°C in rAdelaide) watching youtube vids of trails off Trailforks.

Not looking forward to the queue for the ferry tomorrow night, got a 13.5m length car and van with oversize height caravan... was a 2.5h wait the last time, going to be awesome in Melbourne's predicted 42°C tomorrow.... last on, last off as usual... but smiling as we have 6 days in Derby ahead from Saturday... then a further 2/3 before the boat home.

ozzybmx

I think my favourite by far was Blue Tier, except I ate too much gourmet pie at the Weldborough hotel and my stomach behaved like an inertial stabiliser down Atlas.
Dont eat, just drink 3-4 beers at the Weldborough then backpack 3-4 more takeouts.... then you will act like a pro MTBer down Atlas. Stomach issues sorted !

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Dont eat, just drink 3-4 beers at the Weldborough then backpack 3-4 more takeouts.... then you will act like a pro MTBer down Atlas. Stomach issues sorted !
hahaha yeah that would be good to see... there's a bit of climbing in the early stages of Atlas, I reckon there'd a a few rainbow yawns if people did this.

binner

Hath shat hymself
..mates are in Maydena, got pulled off mountain this morning due to bushfires.....they even made the local news ......
hope they get to ride tomorrow

im back down to Derby on Monday, need to hit Roxanne and clear all of air ya garn ;);););)

Last edited:

ttnguyen133

Likes Bikes
Hey fellas, thinking of heading to Derby with a few mates. The thing is they would have 100mm xc hardtails 29er available for them (Polygon Siskiu 7). They do at least have larger trail tyres and we do make it through the black runs in Youies and Lysty just fine. Are the trails doable/enjoyable on such rigs or is it worth hiring out a FS? We would only be thinking of doing the regular blue trails like blue tier, atlas, return to sender kinda stuff.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Hey fellas, thinking of heading to Derby with a few mates. The thing is they would have 100mm xc hardtails 29er available for them (Polygon Siskiu 7). They do at least have larger trail tyres and we do make it through the black runs in Youies and Lysty just fine. Are the trails doable/enjoyable on such rigs or is it worth hiring out a FS? We would only be thinking of doing the regular blue trails like blue tier, atlas, return to sender kinda stuff.
The trails are definitely doable but how long they would be enjoyable on those bikes would be dependent on how fast they want to go. If they are balls to the wall they are going to be pretty tired quite quickly but if just cruising with bursts of speed they’ll be fine.

But, if they have the $$ go full suspension.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Hardtail will be fine IMO if that is what they usually ride. They will be more comfortable on their own bikes and most of the trails are smooth and well maintained.