I think I want a new Bike... again...

Minlak

custom titis
I currently have a 2016 Transition Smuggler (29er) that I was happy enough with. I then bought a Norco Torrent hardtail. The hardtail hardly ever has pedal strikes and I have noticed that if I have been riding the hardatil for a while I get tonnes of pedal strikes on the Smuggler again. Other things I love is the 2.8 (can go 3.0) wide tyres that still have tonnes of clearance around the frame and chainstays. Something the Smuggler lacks is tyre clearance. If i run through any sticky form of mud it quickly starts to wedge up between the tyre and the frame.
On the Smuggler I hardly ever get flat tyres or sidewall tears but have gone through 2 tyres already on the Torrent and just fucked a third today. now obviously I am writing this with a bit of a hatred on both bikes but whilst loving them too.
Currently I am not in a position to just get a new bike however I started thinking on the way home from the trails. If I sell the Smuggler and buy a frame that has threaded bottom bracket / 140 mm travel front and boost spacing wheels I could take everything off the Torrent and put it on the new frame. then eventually just rebuild up the Torrent with new stuff.
The discussion I need is really around boost / plus sized wheels dual suspension and pedal strikes. Is the nature of dual suspension going to mean more pedal strikes or will boost wheels and more travel give me a higher bb and more clearance?

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
oooh I dunno but this slippery slope you're headed down looks interesting...
Sounds like you're gunna pull apart your favourite bike though, why not keep the Torrent intact and build the Smuggler replacement as the bike slush fund allows. A 29er that can take 27.5+ tyres would have some good versatility, start it off borrowing the Torrent wheelset and add a 29" wheel set when you can oops got two bikes again how'bout that. Pedal strikes is something you have to adapt your riding to suit the frame unless you can find more BB height in a new frame.

LPG

likes thicc birds
What tyres are you running on the Torrent? I'd be inclined to keep the torrent in tact as the plus hardtails haven't really improved/changed but the smuggler is a style of bike that is pretty competitive and is progressive. What tyres are you running on the torrent? I've stuck with Bontrager Chupacabras on my Trek Stache which are much more resilient and long lasting than they have any right to be at <900g for 29"x3" Tyres. Not cheap though but they last.
If the issue with the smuggler is just the BB height/pedal strikes you are worried about can you get shorter cranks, thinner pedals, sort the rear suspension to have more of a pedalling platform etc? A different frame with geometry you like better is always an option that is basically a new bike if you are happy with your other components.

Minlak

custom titis
I actually started doing some research and estimated BB height of my 2016 smuggler is 335 mm. Estimated BB height of the 2019 Scout is 335 mm. It is just weird I get more pedal strikes on the Smuggler than I get on the Torrent on the same trails. It is probably just a me thing. I seem to recall from new the Smuggler had more strikes and I just got better at not hitting as I was riding it all the time. I mean it cant be that bead it got me through the Port to port ok last year.

Minlak

custom titis
What tyres are you running on the Torrent? I'd be inclined to keep the torrent in tact as the plus hardtails haven't really improved/changed but the smuggler is a style of bike that is pretty competitive and is progressive. What tyres are you running on the torrent? I've stuck with Bontrager Chupacabras on my Trek Stache which are much more resilient and long lasting than they have any right to be at <900g for 29"x3" Tyres. Not cheap though but they last.
If the issue with the smuggler is just the BB height/pedal strikes you are worried about can you get shorter cranks, thinner pedals, sort the rear suspension to have more of a pedalling platform etc? A different frame with geometry you like better is always an option that is basically a new bike if you are happy with your other components.
I am running Maxxis Forekaster 2.8 on the Torrent and the same tyres in 2.35 of the Smuggler. I am 100% going faster recently than I ever have in the past. it is probably just that.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
335 drop unsagged? A duallie will always have more dynamic sag than a HT.

Pedals strikes can be alleviated with shorter cranks.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I get fewer pedal strikes on my dually after getting the shock tuned for my weight.

They popped a spacer in and it’s made a definite difference.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
How do you find the shock performance / tune on the smuggler ? Could be blowing through initial / mid stroke resulting in pedal strikes. Possible a different shock or custom tune (speak with cyclinic or nsd) would help a lot.

Minlak

custom titis
How do you find the shock performance / tune on the smuggler ? Could be blowing through initial / mid stroke resulting in pedal strikes. Possible a different shock or custom tune (speak with cyclinic or nsd) would help a lot.
I have been toying with a new shock thinking one of the DVO Topaz or something similar with piggy back on there. The shocks have done a few k's now and tech on it is older now.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I have been toying with a new shock thinking one of the DVO Topaz or something similar with piggy back on there. The shocks have done a few k's now and tech on it is older now.
How many bands do you have in there? tranny's love abit more sag than most, so it might be blowing through the travel. I banged another band into my monarch and that helped a fair bit. They are a low frame though, in the name of better cornering.
a piggy back shock isn't really neccessary on the shorter travel rigs.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
This thread is like me every drive home after a ride - how can I mix and match and start a new project having the best of both bikes rolled into one

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Where did you get this done?
I used Cyclinic; they give you a prepaid postage label so all you do is drop it off at your post office and they take care of the rest.

I think NSD and Suspension Centre do the same.

The spacer has resulted in the bike sitting higher in its travel more of the time.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hear you on the pedal strikes. My Remedy is at 335mm BB height and if the shock pressure drops a little I get pedal strikes everywhere.

Frame versatility is very appealing if you want to run several different settings. Standard answer on here I know, but Banshee Prime covers all the bases for me. I've run mine at 29" as well as 27.5+ (2.6" actually) and it's superb in both configurations.. keep looking to see what suits.

Minlak

custom titis
How many bands do you have in there? tranny's love abit more sag than most, so it might be blowing through the travel. I banged another band into my monarch and that helped a fair bit. They are a low frame though, in the name of better cornering.
a piggy back shock isn't really neccessary on the shorter travel rigs.
I have to double check this again I think I have 2 now I had 3 before I dropped all the weight. I don't seem to be bottoming out but I certainly could be in the lower half of the travel a lot more than I should be. I like the way it rides I have just lost a lot of confidence in it due to the last crash (pedal strike). I also know fucking tyres is part of the deal in MTB'ing but I went so long with out this happening and I really feel confident on the Forekaster's but $100 a tyre is getting tedious.

You are all right I should just get an E-Bike......

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
I can relate to this a bit. I have built up a banshee prime about 6 months ago and find I’m smashing my pedals heaps. The low bb that is so nice and stable has a definite downside. I know I could help stop this by putting the rear end in the high position or adding travel to the fork but I just love the way everything else works so I’m super reluctant. I am trying to focus on better timing and technique for a while before changing the bike around.

I have just rebuilt my old 429 (robbed it for the banshee build) which is far more old fashioned in its geometry. Riding it again yesterday showed the higher bb removed any chance of belting my pedals.

The old girl still climbs so well but my banshee is a lot more fun on the way down. I’m happy comprising to have that extra stability but I can totally understand your issue. Keen to see how you get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk