24Hr racing advice

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought that was part of 24hr racing?
Oh and if it's going to be hot, make sure you do take on more than just water for hydration. Hyponatremia is a real thing that happens during big running races and people have died at places like the Boston marathon for taking on just water no electrolytes/sodium.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Oh and if it's going to be hot, make sure you do take on more than just water for hydration. Hyponatremia is a real thing that happens during big running races and people have died at places like the Boston marathon for taking on just water no electrolytes/sodium.
That's sorted. We're both big fans of Infinite and my wife has her own custom blend of it. I actually can't ride without electrolytes as I'll cramp out on just water.

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Better to go over the top with water (without getting silly) as the consequence is doing a piss. The consequences of under hydrating are worse than that.

Don’t you just piss in your shorts and keep going in a 24hr race? ;)
I used to pick a section of the track for my 'piss whilst riding' time. I had stretch 2xu shorts that made the job easy. I even trained and dialed my junk scooping technique. Probably more challenging for the ladies however.

DMan

On a different tangent I now have a question about the 1st 4 hrs? The event we are going to offers a 4hr or 24hr format. So I opted to do a 4 hr race as I/we figured the 1st 4 hrs of the 24hr shouldn't be too bad for her to manage. Both events start at 12pm. After all the comments I'm starting to see that I probably shouldn't have entered so I could focus on her first 4 hrs. What's your view on that people? If we set up food and drink (Bar there being a mechanical or some other disaster that she can't fix without my help) should she be ok in the 1st 4 hrs or should I look at pulling out of my event and concentrating on hers? Take into account that this 24 (She has done a couple of 12hrs) is her first so we are really treating it as a intro, to see 1. whether she even likes long format events, 2. test of her own endurance, and 3. our preparation. Not as a race against others. But I don't want to screw her event up if me riding my event has the potential to.

John U

MTB Precision
The first 4 hours is probably a good opportunity for you to realise what you forgot to bring and other mistakes.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I reckon you can organise enough for her to 'self service' for four hours. Bigger issue is how are you going to stay conscious and lucid for another 20 hours after doing a 4 hour race?

DMan

DMan

I reckon you can organise enough for her to 'self service' for four hours. Bigger issue is how are you going to stay conscious and lucid for another 20 hours after doing a 4 hour race?
That's a good question. I'll be too scared to fall asleep..

DMan

Amateurs around here :p, set an alarm clock and have micro naps between the laps and if you're worried you can't wake up set 2 clocks.
Worse case I'll do that. Laps should be about 45-55 minutes. I'm a very light sleeper and the area will be quite hectic along pit straight I reckon. Otherwise it's no-doze

Flow-Rider

Burner
Worse case I'll do that. Laps should be about 45-55 minutes. I'm a very light sleeper and the area will be quite hectic along pit straight I reckon. Otherwise it's no-doze
Your wife will get a bit slower as the night goes on, even if you lie down and have a good rest so that you don't fumble around when she needs your help.

Make sure you have some cleaning stuff in case if it rains a lot and you need to clean all that gunk off her tyres and chain in between every lap. Already seen a muddy tyre photo of out there and we've had more rain since. Even if you don't think you'll need it, it will be there if you get a big random down pour of rain.

Last edited:

DMan

You wife will get a bit slower as the night goes on, even if you lie down and have a good rest so that you don't fumble around when she needs your help.

Make sure you have some cleaning stuff in case if it rains a lot and you need to clean all that gunk off her tyres and chain in between every lap. Already seen a muddy tyre photo of out there and we've had more rain since. Even if you don't think you'll need it, it will be there if you get a big random down pour of rain.

View attachment 351749
Yes definitely. Thought of that. They had about 190mm over the weekend a couple of weeks ago. I don't think all the tracks are even open again yet.
I reckon I'll be able to grab some kip here and there over the race like you say.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Here's the feeding sheet that I said I'd dig out..

I'll be using this at the local 24hr in Adelaide later in April

DISCLAIMER
This is what works for me and my specific physiology/riding and has been worked out over 5 years of 24 Solo racing.

I don't want old mate quoting a wiki page and telling me that my advice is wrong

:eek:

Attachments

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love the 22hrs in section, "Anything! Just keep me alive"

Starting to warm to the idea of working towards a 24hr race one day. Sounds like a hell of a challenge! 6hr's has been my biggest since starting racing last year.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Starting to warm to the idea of working towards a 24hr race one day. Sounds like a hell of a challenge! 6hr's has been my biggest since starting racing last year.
It's like we're twins......

I'm starting with the local 3hr in September and going longer and further afield from there. I'll be reading this thread over and over between now and then.

DMan

DISCLAIMER
This is what works for me and my specific physiology/riding and has been worked out over 5 years of 24 Solo racing.

I don't want old mate quoting a wiki page and telling me that my advice is wrong

Very cool mate! Emma and I enjoyed reading your food list. She likes the idea of a beer at the end!

DMan

HA! Strangely I have no desire to do more than a 6 hour event. I know I'm just not motivated enough to do longer then that. But I'll pit crew ;)

DMan

DISCLAIMER

Ackland, what's your view on how many, if she likes her 1st, 24hrs you should do per year? Especially factoring in that she's a fulltime teacher and training takes up a lot of time...