Maxxis DHF or DHR2

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
Any thoughts on these for a Banshee Prime front tyre to replace a HR2. 25ID rims with an aggressor 2.3 rear.

I know DHR2 is commonly a rear tyre but heaps of folks seem to run it up front.

Thinking 2.3 exo so they will still work for local Canberra trails after my late season thredbo dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Defs stick with the DHF. Tried all on the front, the cornering grip on the DHF rocks. You can prolly easily go 2.5. They’re cheap on The Bicycle Entrepreneur.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
^ What @moorey said - I wouldn't run a 2.3 on anything wider than a 25mm ID rim - you really want the Wide Trail variant for wider rims. I'm about to replace a 29 x 2.3 EXO with a 2.5WT on a 30mm ID rim as it's a bit too squared off.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Depends on the ground and terrain. Dhf/Aggressor combo for rocky and sandy trails, HR2/Dhf for loose over hard pack, Shorty/HR2 for mud and loam.

Another option is the Vittoria Goma. Very similar tread to the Dhf but chunkier side knobs. Also much more advanced rubber than Maxxis.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yes it's fine. I've got a 2.8 dhf on a ex511 30mm id and a 2.5 aggressor on a ex471 with a 25mm id.

Yeah but at what pressure, OJ? I run my 2.3 DHF on a 24mm rim @ 20psi.

And less & it gets squirmy.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Less than 20psi? Jesus. At what point does tread pattern not even matter any more when the contact patch is essentially a partially deflated flat tire?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Might try under 30’s with these new tyres of mine.......... agressor rears a DD casing which should help me as I plow into the sydney rocks. See how that goes.

Have a look at the Assegai OP, it could be a perfect tyre for aussie trails....... maybe. If such a thing exists.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Cripes. I cant run less than 27psi on the rear without either tearing tires to bits or denting rims. I am a sedentary 78kg middle aged man though.
I've been running LB carbon rims (built by me) with these pressures for years. Admittedly, my trails are not littered with nasty rocks, but I do ride some locations that are hard on equipment. I think I must just ride slowly or something...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Going to wider rims on the rear doesn't seem to help any as it punctures the sides of the tyre where the tread is thin and if you smash or jump through rock gardens you'll sooner or later blow a tyre or rim. I run 27~30psi on the rear @ 80kg and I can still pinch flat a tubeless.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

I'm a galaxy away from that. The 2.8 I run at 25psi and the 2.5 at 28psi. This is to stop the bead rolling of the wheel more than anything else.