Hubs

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have stock wheels on my bike (Sunringle ATAC Duroc 30) and am wondering if it would make a big difference if I went with a faster engaging hub.

I am not sure about a few things:
What is the best bang for buck - get someone to lace a new hub to an existing rim, get a full new rear wheel, get a full new wheelset?
How much $ am I looking at?
What level of engagement is good and then beyond that meaningless?
Any recommendations?

Cheers
MAS

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I honestly wouldn't bother if your hubs are working fine. High poe hubs are good for climbing but they also create pedal kickback problems with bikes that have lots of anti-squat.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I wouldn’t bother @mas2, doubt you’ll notice a tangible benefit. Best saving up for a new wheelset at some stage if you’ve got the need to upgrade.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay. Never had good wheels so just assumed they would be worth it. Guess I wont bother with it then unless consensus changes....

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going to depend on your budget and what you're currently running in terms of rims. A lighter and faster engaging wheelset will transform your ride. But faster engaging hubs on the same rims won't feel like much of an upgrade. You can generally get a pretty nice wheelset around the 600-800 mark using hope hubs and Stans rims.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Been quite happy with Novatec hubs and Spank rims put together by someone who knows what they are doing. Not better PoE than stock though.

First point of call for you. Get a wheel builder to de-tension and then re-tension your current wheels. Then see what you think...

John U

MTB Precision
How well do they spin? I reckon less resistance for a spinning hub would be much more benefit than high poe.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Going to depend on your budget and what you're currently running in terms of rims. A lighter and faster engaging wheelset will transform your ride. But faster engaging hubs on the same rims won't feel like much of an upgrade. You can generally get a pretty nice wheelset around the 600-800 mark using hope hubs and Stans rims.
Stretch it to 900ish and you can do hope pro4, sapim lasers, brass DT nips, and Chinese carbon rims. Build price ontop of this. Have duckmiester build for you, he’s a wheel guru.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How well do they spin? I reckon less resistance for a spinning hub would be much more benefit than high poe.
They do spin well.
I should have mentioned that I did have issues with the pawls in the hub seizing when I first got them but they have been fine since.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I've been researching this wheelset as I am looking at buying a bike with them...the Sun Ringle SRC hubs on the Durocs are supposed to have 36 points of engagement (10 degrees). This is exactly the same as a DT350/240 with the 36 tooth ratchet and not too far behind a hope pro 4 (44 points of engagement).

I personally like a higher engagement hub on the MTB but if your wheelset has the SRC hub (as I suspect it does) you will need to get something like an I9 with 3 degrees or so to make it worth it. I do feel like its diminishing returns beyond hope pro 4 levels...18 points to 40 odd is noticeable but 40 odd to 100+ isn't a big deal IMO.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been researching this wheelset as I am looking at buying a bike with them...the Sun Ringle SRC hubs on the Durocs are supposed to have 36 points of engagement (10 degrees). This is exactly the same as a DT350/240 with the 36 tooth ratchet and not too far behind a hope pro 4 (44 points of engagement).

I personally like a higher engagement hub on the MTB but if your wheelset has the SRC hub (as I suspect it does) you will need to get something like an I9 with 3 degrees or so to make it worth it. I do feel like its diminishing returns beyond hope pro 4 levels...18 points to 40 odd is noticeable but 40 odd to 100+ isn't a big deal IMO.
Excellent info, thanks for that.