Why do some duelies cost more than motorbikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I used to ride with this bloke who bought a custom made titanium roadie for $10,000 - about 4-5 years ago. I was shocked when I heard the price tag as I used to spend at most $1000 on a roadie - back then i didn't know what mtb is. When I asked how can u justify such a huge amount just for a roadie, he said easy. My wife is having a nice holiday to see her family back in South America, I don't want to come along, so I said that means I can spend the money on a new roadie. I was given a budget of $10,000 so I'll spend it all.

The point is, as others have pointed out, there are many (in various financial capacity) who are willing to spend big money on bikes - road or mtb. This drives up the price under the mentality we can charge whatever we want as there will be people willing to pay for it and influence others to do so.
Oh don't forget as well, we need to inflate the price to pay for marketing in whichever forms ;)

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I used to ride with this bloke who bought a custom made titanium roadie for $10,000 - about 4-5 years ago. I was shocked when I heard the price tag as I used to spend at most $1000 on a roadie - back then i didn't know what mtb is. When I asked how can u justify such a huge amount just for a roadie, he said easy. My wife is having a nice holiday to see her family back in South America, I don't want to come along, so I said that means I can spend the money on a new roadie. I was given a budget of $10,000 so I'll spend it all.

The point is, as others have pointed out, there are many (in various financial capacity) who are willing to spend big money on bikes - road or mtb. This drives up the price under the mentality we can charge whatever we want as there will be people willing to pay for it and influence others to do so.
Oh don't forget as well, we need to inflate the price to pay for marketing in whichever forms ;)
The reality is if you can afford it then it doesn't matter. You can't put a price on happiness........ unless you're me and then the budget on my happiness is less than 3k :(

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My best mate is riding a $16k Pinarello. For a few noodles of carbon, some rubber, and a few sticks of metal.
Haha, when you look at a 20k+ Cipollini and think, that's beautiful but it hasn't even got any suspension.
And roadies only went thru axle recently after 100yrs of QR 135mm, still on same sized wheels too.
And we feel shafted :oops:

Last edited:

Coopz

Likes Dirt
God my Avanti road bike (sold it last year) cost $750 new and I rode it all the time without a issue usually keeping up with the 'can't buy a good road bike for under 5k' club rides.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
therer are 2 questions here, will your $13k boutique bike make you any faster than on a comparable $5k Giant? is being a fancy pants on a fancy bike important to you?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
therer are 2 questions here, will your $13k boutique bike make you any faster than on a comparable $5k Giant? is being a fancy pants on a fancy bike important to you?
Probably not, if we were that good then we wouldn't be futzing around on an interweb forum and would be getting paid to ride bling.

My Daccordi roadie with full Campag came under $2k courtesy of some lucky buying. I have no want for anything else.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Probably not but then we would all be living in the same houses, driving the same Holdens, dressing in company issued work wear and shaving our heads as its more cost effective to shave it all off than cut a little bit off and put some jizz in it.

Some people like fancy pants, I like a bit of fancy stuff on my pants... nothing wrong with being a little different than others even know you may still be slower.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I was worried my fancy bike was going to show me up :oops:

Aforementioned Best Mate is slow as a wet week uphill, yet loves his Pinny more than anything else.

If your boutique bike gets your arse out there, then it's money well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.