The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Ethics isn’t personal.
And before that confuses anyone... I’ve had experience with human ethics in a work context. In that case, there’s professional ethics and they sometimes don’t match up with personal ethics. How could they in all cases? Grey areas that I don’t know how to reconcile.

moorey

call me Mia
Absolutely NOT.

I see from a few responses people do not know what ethics is. They confuse ethics with morals. Or value judgments.

Very different concepts.
There are numerous different types/branches of ethics. Are you sure you aren’t confusing them?

scblack

Leucocholic
There are numerous different types/branches of ethics. Are you sure you aren’t confusing them?
Fair question. I see ethics as the highest standards of behaviour. Especially in professional settings.

I see the grey area here, is if people confuse legal behaviour with ethical. In the world of self-reporting for taxation, sure you can claim a max deduction because you stated it. The accountant will to accept that at face value because you said it. The accountant can claim ethical behaviour, but the client cannot.

ScottyT has done exactly this, took the max deduction even when he knew it was not true. Legal and probably acceptable actions, but not strictly ethical.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I had a discussion with a fellow ceo once about personal ethics. He was making a point that he sacked an employee who was supposed to dump some out of date paint but instead took that paint home. Supposedly sacked because he didnt do what he was supposed to or theoretically stole from the dump or something. It was lost on me. Yet that ceo was happy to take pens, paper, pads etc home for his and his family use. His daughter was at uni and used reams of paper! He would borrow company vehicles for personal use etc even though that use was not part of his employment deal. He saw one as a breach of employment contract and the other as ok and his right as ceo. I also worked with another ceo who would take company plant when it wasnt being utilised and subcontract that as his own person company equipment to others. You know 140 t cranes and site buildings and trucks! He was investigated and got away with it. Dying during the investigation affected the outcome somewhat. FWIIW I buy my own copy paper and other staionery etc and always have.

While there are degrees or interpretations of what is ok and what is fraud at the end of the day I suspect everyone at some point has gained something that they werent entitled to whether it be a bit of kit from the office or a dodgy deduction on the tax return. I didnt think we were talking about petty theft.

Anyone know what it was that was being discussed?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Seems India just followed suite, populism and threats of war over policy and progression.

And they have nukes. Another slide back backwards for the world.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Dorry if this has already been posted, i cant keep up.

This is quite misleading though as it does not accurately represent the whole nation. It only represents the segment of population that use the ABC website. Given Aunty's reputation for being left, I'd assume that there is a pretty large element of the conservative side of Australia that wouldn't have participated in the poll.

It's only a snapshot of people who access the internet and who navigate to the ABC website and have the time to take the Vote Compass poll (and those who take it seriously, unlike the way I did)

scblack

Leucocholic
This is quite misleading though as it does not accurately represent the whole nation. It only represents the segment of population that use the ABC website. Given Aunty's reputation for being left, I'd assume that there is a pretty large element of the conservative side of Australia that wouldn't have participated in the poll.

It's only a snapshot of people who access the internet and who navigate to the ABC website and have the time to take the Vote Compass poll (and those who take it seriously, unlike the way I did)
Agreed.

And this is why pollsters get things so wrong. Their poll is only represetative of those who took the poll. If a pollster calls me I instantly hang up, so my view is unrepresented.

As you say, the ABC is not a representation of all people, just those who could be arsed doing that test.