What have I done? Advice needed for fork decision

DeBloot

Feeling old
With my dear partner away i decided to have a long beer and bongs afternoon o_O

From previous experience I know I shouldn't go near computers after these kind of sessions
But I did - and the result is I am now the owner of an Ibis Mojo HD4 frame

Emerging from the haze I realise the frame has boost spacing making all the expensive bits on my current bike obsolete :-(
I'm always on a budget so looking to keep things sensible (while trying to do justice to the bike)
I am your average hack nearer to 60 than 50 but have been know to find myself bashing down a rock garden relying on the bike more than skill

So forks are my first decision

Do I go the cheap fleabay fox 36 for around $800 https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-FOX-P...3468150?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#rwid

Or the much nicer and more expensive @ $1550 https://www.pushys.com.au/fox-36-ka...5-taper-44mm-rake-fork-2020-black-orange.html

Am I likely to notice $750 worth of extra performance given that I am not the most sensitive rider and not overly fussed by the look of either fork?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I quite like the look of the black forks. They would look very boss on trail. However I am a sucker for special k and features on a bike, even though I hardly use them to their potential. If you have the coins...

Have you looked at any offerings from other suspension manufacturers?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Can't just run the current work with the current non-boost front wheel?
Boost adapter for the rear.
Test the cranks for chainline.

Ultimately, I feel that more beers and bongs will be necessary to decide this matter.....

DeBloot

Feeling old
lol.
problem is my current bike has 26'' wheels (but does have a 650b fork non boost)
I was going to borrow a wheeelset, but seems a lot of faffing and dishing may be necessary
So figure may as well get a new wheelset which I was always going to need anyway in the step up to 650b
And I was considering the frankenbike boost rear with non boost front and a borrowed wheel

But I have to take the plunge sometime, so deciding between these 2 forks to go with the X2 rear

DeBloot

Feeling old
I quite like the look of the black forks. They would look very boss on trail. However I am a sucker for special k and features on a bike, even though I hardly use them to their potential. If you have the coins...

Have you looked at any offerings from other suspension manufacturers?
No, to be honest. i get so confused deciding between the same brand.
As the rear is the fox x2 i thought this would go great with a fox 36
But I'm wondering if those oem fleabay ones are legit or if they are a bit crappo

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No, to be honest. i get so confused deciding between the same brand.
As the rear is the fox x2 i thought this would go great with a fox 36
But I'm wondering if those oem fleabay ones are legit or if they are a bit crappo
Based solely on the personal description you have provided, I'd get the cheaper fork. I could be wrong but...I've ran lower end (you know - less bells and whistles) fox 36 forks a few times over the years and they have always given me enough. Set the air spring correct, dial rebound, hit send...and they work. They take big hits and keep on giving. In recent years I've been lucky enough to use the higher end stuff and have enjoyed having extra dials to play with simply because they were there and also the k...it looks good. With the cash saved on buying the cheaper forks you can probably get them shimmed and tuned a little and still have change.

What colour is the frame?

DeBloot

Feeling old
Frame is black so a good match - though it does have a bit of orange so the exier ones would look awesome
But that's good advice I reckon I'll take
I don't need the best - just good and solid and can take a bit of elder abuse ;)
Cheers

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just bought 2 of these at HiBike for ~$410au each.

After a long battle making 1 bike both a play bike and race day ready for each of my boys, I decided to get them another bike each.
Will be running a $7 boost conversion kit from eBay on these to use their existing wheels.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Frame is black so a good match - though it does have a bit of orange so the exier ones would look awesome
But that's good advice I reckon I'll take
I don't need the best - just good and solid and can take a bit of elder abuse ;)
Cheers
...custom orange decals!

And a few training sessions for sending it.

And the shim tune up.

And a couple of shuttle days.

And you should still have some change.

safreek

Ultimately, I feel that more beers and bongs will be necessary to decide this matter.....
If you just suck many cones and forget the beers you will think more clearly,
I feel that you should buy the cheaper fox 36 fork, buy a couple more ounces of good weed with the left over money.
That extra weed will make your rides much more fun, heaps of more stupid shit to do when stoned, just don't drug drive or all your fun will be ripped away from you in no time.
Whatever you choose should be fun but my way is the best way

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Just curious, shipping from HiBike to Aus? I thought they didn't do that for bigger stuff like forks?
I've purchased frame from them before. I think the last time I did, the cart automatically came up with some stupid figure, then I sent them an email and they changed it back to, I think it's 22 Euros, for the order.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd got the cheaper one.
If you look on the facebook mtb groups there are often new bike take off forks you could find a lot cheaper than new.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
WWZD? (Wutwudzafdo)

Roundhouse kick a toddler, go shoot something, THEN go splurge on neither of those forks and buy some formula’s or mrp’s or something.

Why stop at fox?

Last edited:

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Shit yeah Andy!!! Nice work matey :D The HD4 is awesome, and you'll love it :D

So, give you need a new wheelset, go boost, it will be around for a while. You know me mate, I held out for soooooo long, but only 2 bikes aren't bost anymore - my old 26" DH Bike, and Mel's HT trekker... It's here to stay.

And I reckon as much as you'll love the factory, have you got the dedication to dial it in? The performance is a good fork, and you can split the difference by getting a tune on it :)

Mate, I need to get up there and ride the hill again. Been too long!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just curious, shipping from HiBike to Aus? I thought they didn't do that for bigger stuff like forks?
I've purchased frame from them before. I think the last time I did, the cart automatically came up with some stupid figure, then I sent them an email and they changed it back to, I think it's 22 Euros, for the order.
These were 22 euros as wkkie says, I cant remember which one but one of the Germans, either BikeComponents or BikeDiscount add a large item levvy and it jumps to ~40 euros.

My issue with Fox from about 2014 is you can get a set with creaky stanchions, I have 2 sets of Factory forks that I bought secondhand and there's no warranty. They will replace the uppers on first owner forks.
The creak gives me the shits... I've done the wicking loctite a few times but it still comes back.

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
With my dear partner away i decided to have a long beer and bongs afternoon o_O

From previous experience I know I shouldn't go near computers after these kind of sessions
But I did - and the result is I am now the owner of an Ibis Mojo HD4 frame

Emerging from the haze I realise the frame has boost spacing making all the expensive bits on my current bike obsolete :-(
I'm always on a budget so looking to keep things sensible (while trying to do justice to the bike)
I am your average hack nearer to 60 than 50 but have been know to find myself bashing down a rock garden relying on the bike more than skill

So forks are my first decision

Do I go the cheap fleabay fox 36 for around $800 https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-FOX-P...3468150?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#rwid

Or the much nicer and more expensive @ $1550 https://www.pushys.com.au/fox-36-ka...5-taper-44mm-rake-fork-2020-black-orange.html

Am I likely to notice $750 worth of extra performance given that I am not the most sensitive rider and not overly fussed by the look of either fork?
If your interested I have a set of 6 month old boost Sr Suntour Auron forks which would cost you half of their fox counterparts. Great forks match it with the big guns and will save you a heap of money to spend on a better wheel set. Pm me if you want to discuss.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I was going to borrow a wheeelset, but seems a lot of faffing and dishing may be necessary
So figure may as well get a new wheelset which I was always going to need anyway in the step up to 650b
you may as well just have a couple more bongs and order some Zipp 3Zero Moto wheels, I hear they are supposed to be ok.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In the short time I've had an X-Fusion Trace 36 (140-170mm) on my Fuel EX, I've really liked it. Swapped out a 130mm Fox Float 34 Perfomance.
The Trace was about $1150