Shock travel

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a shock with 52.5mm stroke.
I have found a DPX2 with a 55mm stroke.
Can I reduce the stroke easy enough with a spacer?
Or put an offset bushing in?
Or dont bother?

What you think?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
From my limited understanding - Probably, but it depends on the exact internal parts of the shock as to whether or not it will accept it. As a start - try putting the 4-digit shock ID into the Fox website, copy the info it lists and ask someone like Cyclinic if it can be done.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
2 variables as Moorey says are eye to eye and shock stroke .[ Stroke x leverage ratio gives roughly wheel travel.]
Both can be increased depending on the frame .
If its just the stroke 2.5 mm is nothing . You can test it by deflating the shock and see if it hits anything .
If you are a real worrier easy to unscrew aircan , deflate it first and put 2 hose to tap washers in = just put in a cut so they encircle the shaft.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2 variables as Moorey says are eye to eye and shock stroke .[ Stroke x leverage ratio gives roughly wheel travel.]
Both can be increased depending on the frame .
If its just the stroke 2.5 mm is nothing . You can test it by deflating the shock and see if it hits anything .
If you are a real worrier easy to unscrew aircan , deflate it first and put 2 hose to tap washers in = just put in a cut so they encircle the shaft.
Yep just stroke. Thanks for that.

moorey

call me Mia
If nothing is close to fouling with current shock fully compressed, go for it. You’ll just have 5-7mm extra travel. Winning.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Is eye to eye same?
Derp. ^^^This^^^

I went an extra 5mm w my Santa Cruz , back tyre hit front derailleur cable stop, buzzing on full compression , took off derailleur , chopped stop off w angle grinder = problem solved.
Just to note how case-by-case it is - I test-fit a 200x57mm (instead of stock 200x51mm) on my 5010, but the linkages contacted the frame about 1mm before full shock travel. I'd read on VitalMTB about people long shocking them with that sizing and having no dramas, but it definitely wasn't going to work on mine. Luckily in a rare moment of clarity I checked this before I rode it, so no harm done. Probably an extra 3mm shock travel would've been the max doable on that frame, and even that would be worrying close to locking out the links IMO.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Just for info, you can put a travel reducer in a 55mm DPX2 to reduce to 52.5 (or 50mm). It's the same shock woth either a 2.5mm or 5mm travel reducer.
Different story if it's an imperial shock, but metric are easy.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Easy imperial to metric 1 inch to 25.4 mm.As above I just put in hard plastic washers seems fine for the last 1-2 yrs .
Yeah, same. Plastic washers from Bunnings, about $4 a pack, measured out to the reduction I need.

I had some issues with the ones I just cut and put over though, they warped and came off the shaft after a while. What I do now is get the soldering iron out and carefully melt it together a little, seems to be working so far...

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk