Home brew 104bcd spider

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mmmkaaaay, I’ve been a bit stumped by this problem. Wanting to take the height of the granny ring stubs down a few mm, I improvised this Lee case trimming tool but finger power isn’t going to get the job done. The crank axle is in the way of using a drill so I need to work out a way to extend it

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Mmmkaaaay, I’ve been a bit stumped by this problem. Wanting to take the height of the granny ring stubs down a few mm, I improvised this Lee case trimming tool but finger power isn’t going to get the job done. The crank axle is in the way of using a drill so I need to work out a way to extend itView attachment 355003View attachment 355004
Do you have a random bit of steel bar you can bore one end for an interference fit, and machine the other to drop in a drill chuck?

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you have a random bit of steel bar you can bore one end for an interference fit, and machine the other to drop in a drill chuck?
I don't have the means to machine anything so I'll have to find something that will work

How many mm? Couldn't you just take the bulk off with a grinder flap wheel and finish with a file?
Too crude, need to keep them even to mount the spider on

latheboy

Likes Dirt
What dia is that? Can you get away with one of those mini chucks that fit into the 1/4" hex drives and an extension?

Without looking at the links, I like this idea.. Its rough but will get the job done. Grind a square onto the cutting tool you have and bamm, straight into the extension..
You should measure and scribe the post to the dimension you want to remove so you have a guide. That will be angry when cutting.. Also, you might destroy the thread so be prepared to put in a helicoil if you do stripe them

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Trefolex is meant to be used cold, when it is heated it gives off noxious fumes. Very few machine shops use it now. My former place of employ banned it. There are safer options.

T-Rex

Template denier
How about a piece of straight rod, connect it to the case trimmer by slipping a short piece of plastic hose over both and secure the connection with a couple of hose clamps? Other end of the rod goes into the drill chuck, and away you go.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How about a piece of straight rod, connect it to the case trimmer by slipping a short piece of plastic hose over both and secure the connection with a couple of hose clamps? Other end of the rod goes into the drill chuck, and away you go.
Yep something like this is going to get it done I think, the little stub on the bottom of the cutter is for depth control and won't damage the threads, the cast Al cuts very easily.