Derby in Tassi

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Assegai are pretty weighty... There's a fair bit of pedaling up and around at Derby, an exo DHF /DHR would be more than enough.

Reactions: SDA

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Heading to Derby in late November, and looking for tyre recommendations.

Currently running Bontrager SE5 2.6" / SE4 2.4"combo, and have a Maxxis DHF 2.5" Exo 3c / DHR 2 2.4" Exo+ combo in the shed.

Wondering if it's worth getting an Assegai over a Minion style front tyre?
I run a Minion DHF and an Aggressor and find that they are great for Derby. The majority of the Derby trails are a granite composition. Rides well when wet and the rocks are very grippy but very abrasive. Can be a little sketchy if it's been dry for a while but it would have to be the best type of soil to have on your trails. A good week at Derby will significantly wear you rear tyre.

herbman

Likes Dirt
Heading to Derby in late November, and looking for tyre recommendations.

Currently running Bontrager SE5 2.6" / SE4 2.4"combo, and have a Maxxis DHF 2.5" Exo 3c / DHR 2 2.4" Exo+ combo in the shed.

Wondering if it's worth getting an Assegai over a Minion style front tyre?
I run the dhf 2.5 dhr2 2.4 on my patrol and find them perfect for Derby. But in saying that the only time traction is a issue in derby is when the trail are blown out in the middle of a dry summer.
The assegai may be over kill and not as good on the rock slabs but if you are also heading to Maydena as well the assegai is the go to tire.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Derby is less hectic then Maydena and there is a lot more pedalling uphill then you would expect.

The Dhf/Aggressor combo would work well. A more aggressive setup like Assegai/Magic Mary/Wild Enduro would be too draggy.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

SDA

Likes Dirt
Derby is less hectic then Maydena and there is a lot more pedalling uphill then you would expect.

The Dhf/Aggressor combo would work well. A more aggressive setup like Assegai/Magic Mary/Wild Enduro would be too draggy.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Sounds like my current setup (Bontrager SE5 / SE4) will be fine. I used the same setup in Bright earlier this year with no issues.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
A trial starting on the October school holidays, no private shuttles on Cascade Dam road (Blackstump shuttles) for private operators between 10am-12pm and 2pm-3.30pm.

Resident's, kayakers, woodcutters, firemen and visitors to the Dam are still allowed. No MTBers.

ozzybmx

Derby is mayhem during school holidays anyway...
Yep, been there 2 Xmas hols now, its got massively busy in just 18 months to our second visit. So much so that we are not taking our caravan this next time.
Booked into accomodation for 16 days from the 28th Dec this year, split 8+8 with 3 days in Maydena.

In 10 Derby days last year, we did 2 x Blue Tiers, 4 x Atlas and 26 x Blackstumps, my missus shuttled us up for every one of them. We eat out every night and eat out for lunch.... I also donate a shit load of beer tokens at the Dorset and on several occasions each visit, the Branxholm and Weldborough, we buy bike gear and come home with about 6-8 tee shirts each time. Shop in Scottsdale, visit and eat in Bridport, St Helens, Binalong ect...

The only thing we don't do is use the 3-4 operators of the shuttle services.

This new revised time for private shuttle vehicles will mean a lot of people will have to juggle their riding schedules and destinations, I can only think that St Helens and Weldborough will benefit from this. Closing the road will send people elsewhere, riding the trails in the morning, the 10am final shuttle can take in BlackDragon or Krushkas, then down the Trout. Then piss of to Blue Tier for a run to Weldborough or St Helens.

There's 3 of us, the handiness of the misso shuttling is 100% easier, say the 26 Blackstump shuttles we paid $10 each, x 3 of us then x 26 shuttles, you are talking $800, we could have done easily more than half of those within the commoners times, I can definitely tell you that $300-$400 in shuttles will deprive the town of twice that in food and beer over the visit. We had 3 families last year with 13 of us in total.

Good for shuttle operator(s), bad for the town tea time beer and food... Hmmmmm how did that get up i wonder...

ozzybmx

If I thought it would make a difference, I would... might send it through to the council anyway.

At the end of the day, the trails are awesome and they are still there. It will just make people rethink their day, 10am drop off, Snig up, down one of the beautiful 3 choices, then pick another awesome choice from blackstump down to the river, up BlackDragon then Trouty... that should kill the dead time.

I really dont think its going to generate more shuttle $$$, just make people plan better or send them elsewhere on the down times. I would have thought with the impending November opening of the St Helens trail and the future of the St Helens trail network, they would have liked to keep the town busy.

The place is going off on the school holidays, people arrive with caravans, tents and bike racks ect... maybe they should just make more pull in points on the 'public road' if the shuttle drivers are getting pissed off, and keep the people based and riding in Derby.

ozzybmx

Watch this, there's no doubt that collectively everything the council and investors do in Derby makes the place so good. The only issue is the few they leave behind (the businesses who don't want the competition) and the many who don't benefit from the explosion (those locals who want to live there cheap without council rates through the roof for AirBnBs)

Just widen the road and stop making it so obvious everything is Vertigo run...

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Jeez, now I'm a bit nervous. I'm headed over on the boat for the last 2 weeks in January and planned our first stop to be Derby for 3-4 days... I wonder if I'll get a tent spot.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Jeez, now I'm a bit nervous. I'm headed over on the boat for the last 2 weeks in January and planned our first stop to be Derby for 3-4 days... I wonder if I'll get a tent spot.
I did 2 weeks in tassie around Easter, first few days was coming into the holiday weekend, I passed through Derby on good Friday and there was people camped anywhere and everywhere, therell be room to pitch a tent somewhere for sure.
Went back for 5 nights a week later and had my pick of the whole river, only 3 or 4 others camping and most importantly no queues or having to book a spot at the pub.