Do I need more dropper travel?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The perils of being off the bike crook - too much time researching upgrades :)

On a mid travel bike (trance) I’m starting to suspect a 150mm dropper might be worthwhile from the 125 I have now. Anyone gone for a longer dropper and thought it worth the spend?

Either that or I learn actual skills...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yes.

But for me the answer is always yes, I love the extra freedom of movement for rocks and drops. 150mm dropper won't feel much different just a bit more spacious - that is until you try a 125mm again!

moorey

call me Mia
Always comes down to a few things for me, as a shorter man.
ST length. Anything above 18.5” and 125mm is max lift I cab reach.
Frame insertion...I can’t slam the Tranny, or a few others due to bends in ST or pivot bolts...and some in past had interrupted ST, so a longer drop is also longer mast.

Whenever I can go longer, I try to.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
What frame size is the bike? What is your height / inseam?

I had 185mm Revive on previous bike.
It was so far down when dropped it felt like one of those trials bikes with no seat!
Wanted to keep it but new bike has different tube diameter.

My current rig has a 170mm. Also good. I haven't really noticed the "downgrade".
Might be shopping for a new one soon because it's not returning all the way. Currently with LBS for warranty inspection....:(

I think if you ride anything approaching "enduro" style trails with some steeps, then minimum dropper length s/b 150mm.
(just my opinion....not facts)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I love RB - you’re all such reliable enablers :)

I’m about 5 10 in the old money and it’s a medium frame MY18 Trance Advanced. It has limits for insertion due to the rocker pivot bolt, but will take more insertion than the 125 dropper has so I’ll be right getting a longer one in.

So. Budget friendly X-Fusion or Fox transfer...

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I love RB - you’re all such reliable enablers :)

I’m about 5 10 in the old money and it’s a medium frame MY18 Trance Advanced. It has limits for insertion due to the rocker pivot bolt, but will take more insertion than the 125 dropper has so I’ll be right getting a longer one in.

So. Budget friendly X-Fusion or Fox transfer...
X-Fusion is good VFM....but what's the appeal of the Fox Transfer?
OneUp's claim-to-fame is very short overall length....might be good for your medium frame?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Or OneUp? You'll get more length, it's one of, of not the shortest dropper for its travel length.

If you've got a stock Giant dropper, you'll be able to use the same lever as well.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I've had Transfer and X Fusion Manic...IMO save your $$$ and get the X Fusion. It's heavy but reliable and smooth as, especially with a wolftooth remote or specialized SRL.

PNW posts are well worth a look too, currently rocking the Rainier (not as silky as the X Fusion though).

Or Brand X off CRC for best value.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Brand-X posts are nice and smooth, but levers make the actuation feel a little coarse. Worth upgrading to a quality lever like a Wolftooth IMO.

BikeYoke Revive is the A+ standard in my eyes, just wish they'd do a 200mm+ model!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Nice one guys, the brains trust comes through again - cheers :)

I though Fox Fusion just because everyone seems to rave about it, but X-fusion Manic is $189 at cycling deal seems like the go.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you have it inserted all the way into the frame with the dropper collar against the seat tube collar?
If not then then I would totally give you permission as well to get a longer one as well.
For $189 from cycling deal that seems like a good price. I got the brand x for my bro and its been awesome and faultless.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Do you have it inserted all the way into the frame with the dropper collar against the seat tube collar?
If not then then I would totally give you permission as well to get a longer one as well.
For $189 from cycling deal that seems like a good price. I got the brand x for my bro and its been awesome and faultless.
Nope, a good couple of inches above the seat post clamp. Plenty of room :)

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nope, a good couple of inches above the seat post clamp. Plenty of room :)
Sweet. I would go more than 150 travel then but price starts going up. CRC have discount on at the moment and you get $20 off sale items and possibly another $20 with new email signup. Might be worth a look.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes

The short travel dropper is also an annoyance with my Trance, also riding a M.
Watching your movements with interest, as I hope to upgrade mine also and hopefully move the Giant one to my XC bike.