Recommend me a hardtail

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
For a mate who rides the Smithfield trails in Cairns. Had a Trek dually enduro, sold that and now is wanting back into MTBing but with less hassle. 160mm forked 29er hardtail.

Whats about? He's been recommended a Commencal of some sort so far. But I'm thinking of all the obscure brands doing steel frames as well... But really I have no clue about these sort of bikes...

Budget of 2-2.5K, with a hard upper limit of 3K. Thoughts? I'm also happy to build one up for him if there is a good and cheap frame.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
For that price a commencal hardtail is bloody hard to beat. Frame material does make a difference, but not enough to worry about it.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Why 160mm?

I never really understood the point of hardtails that run forks >140mm with a back end that can in no way keep up. Maybe that trend was just due to the 160mm compatible designs actually having decent head angles, which shorter travel models didn’t until recently.

Honzo
The Norco (forget model)

Haakon

Why 160mm?

I never really understood the point of hardtails that run forks >140mm with a back end that can in no way keep up. Maybe that trend was just due to the 160mm compatible designs actually having decent head angles, which shorter travel models didn’t until recently.

Honzo
The Norco (forget model)
Good question - dunno is the answer!! Like I said, new to this style of bike. With a 29er, 140mm does sound adequate...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have just been through this and there is bugger all difference in geo and spec for the mainstream. Spec was disappointing to be honest.

Go secondhand.

Have a look on arsebook or throw up a wtb and see. The XTC I bought was great value, might get something similar.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Nukeproof Scouts are worth looking at alongside the Meta HT too. Scout Comp comes with a dropper, the Meta at same pricepoint doesn't.

Would have to agree with above about >140mm being overkill too.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
For that price range, the likely candidates have been mentioned (Torrent, Honzo, Meta HT) etc.

Other option might be a Ragley frame from Chain reaction and built up - I've always thought they were pretty cool. Not sure if 29ers get close to 160mm though, but the 27.5 might

Haakon

For that price range, the likely candidates have been mentioned (Torrent, Honzo, Meta HT) etc.

Other option might be a Ragley frame from Chain reaction and built up - I've always thought they were pretty cool. Not sure if 29ers get close to 160mm though, but the 27.5 might
Ragley looks like a goer - the complete bike on CRC would be great but out of stock in large. So pondering a build...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Was going to suggest the Nukeproof Scout too - $600 for a frame from CRC leaves you plenty of room in the budget for the build. Blake from GMBN rode a 27.5 version with a 170mm Lyrik in the Megavalanche, so it must be a tough frame.

I have to give the Chameleon a plug too as I have one but I’ll admit it is a bit of an extravagance. It’s an absolute blast though, to the point that I’ve been riding it more than the dually lately.

JOSHY7

Likes Bikes
Was going to suggest the Nukeproof Scout too - $600 for a frame from CRC leaves you plenty of room in the budget for the build. Blake from GMBN rode a 27.5 version with a 170mm Lyrik in the Megavalanche, so it must be a tough frame.

I have to give the Chameleon a plug too as I have one but I’ll admit it is a bit of an extravagance. It’s an absolute blast though, to the point that I’ve been riding it more than the dually lately.
Also have a chameleon and agree loads of fun but not so cheap.
I probably would have gone the ragley or nuke proof if I hadn’t got sucked in by the boy George cover they did.

Haakon

Think I’ll go the Blue Pig because steel :)

Maybe some (Fox) Marzochis from ze Germans, sun ringle wheels and dropper from cycling deal, SLX 11 speed group group from eBay, Deore 4 pot brakes from eBay (fucking geoblcok..), he have a bar and saddle I have spare, and assorted other bits whatever is on sale

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Think I’ll go the Blue Pig because steel :)

Maybe some (Fox) Marzochis from ze Germans, sun ringle wheels and dropper from cycling deal, SLX 11 speed group group from eBay, Deore 4 pot brakes from eBay (fucking geoblcok..), he have a bar and saddle I have spare, and assorted other bits whatever is on sale
Is the blue pig a 29in frame?

Hools

Likes Dirt

Haakon

Yes indeed, they are preeety. Bit exxy though....