$4000 car. Rav4 or similar

safreek

Haven’t seen one of those little things for yonks, they didn’t sell many of the SWB - is there any space at all in the back? Assume a bike won’t go in.

They always looks unsteady on the road, how is the back forward pitch over speed humps? Top heavy and short wheelbase.

But it’s just a jacked and chopped Camry so it will be reliable. Won’t handle as well as a Camry though.
Only really room for a Burt, taking the rear useless seat out today, give him a bit more room, no hope of a complete bike. Didn't know that they are a Camry but that is cool.
I don't really drive like a clown any more, but I can't see it handling like the pos pajero, that was just a piece of shut that drained my pocket, was glad the old dude rammed me.
Got to say, suncorp came to the party with insurance in about 10 days, not bad, I had no insurance

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Eh? Just curious how it drives, I’m sure it’s probably fine but I doubt the dynamic limits are the same as it’s lower longer Camry twin...

They always looked a bit awkward to me, but I drive Renaults so what do I know...

Get all it’s fluids changed though unless there is written evidence of it being done. Even Camrys will die of neglect. That era will be a timing belt too I think, but they’re non interference so it won’t lunch the whole engine if it breaks.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Far from Hakkons negativity, a mate had a Toyota WRC engine and transmission in one of these, with lovely adjustable coilovers. Was the most insane rocket ship ever. Chassis dynamics are great.

You could drive it in the little desert for about 15 minutes before you had to let someone else drive, it was that punishing at warp speed.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My niece had one. Had over 100,000km on it when she bought it. Utterly reliable and cost her tyres, fuel and services in the150,000km she did.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Far from Hakkons negativity, a mate had a Toyota WRC engine and transmission in one of these, with lovely adjustable coilovers. Was the most insane rocket ship ever. Chassis dynamics are great.

You could drive it in the little desert for about 15 minutes before you had to let someone else drive, it was that punishing at warp speed.
That same engine in a Camry with coil overs and slicks on a track ;)

Not being negative, was just curious - they look funny :)

Shredden

Knows his goats
Looks great, I really like the 2 door crossovers. If it's got a 50mm hitch the older gripsport style crank holder bike racks are great - I know you have a taste for bombproof bikes and that rack is in the same vein. Just absolutely solid.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Looks great, I really like the 2 door crossovers. If it's got a 50mm hitch the older gripsport style crank holder bike racks are great - I know you have a taste for bombproof bikes and that rack is in the same vein. Just absolutely solid.
Yeah, but is it a single pivot rack?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Was chatting to someone at stromlo yesterday about bike racks, and they had of those one for a 1 1/4 (?) receivers with the adapter for the 2 inch it was in.

It meant the whole supporting beam was a relatively skinny bar and with two full size trail bikes on it there was a scary amount of movement/wobble in the whole thing... It I was needing that size I’d be looking into remaking that beam in some high strength steel and not relying on Chinese mild steel.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Was chatting to someone at stromlo yesterday about bike racks, and they had of those one for a 1 1/4 (?) receivers with the adapter for the 2 inch it was in.

It meant the whole supporting beam was a relatively skinny bar and with two full size trail bikes on it there was a scary amount of movement/wobble in the whole thing... It I was needing that size I’d be looking into remaking that beam in some high strength steel and not relying on Chinese mild steel.
I have one of these on the MPS. I got it from the US not that it is its place of origin. There is a bit more lateral play due to the pinch bolt retainer thing than what I have on the Suzuki receiver. I think the key lock would hold it a bit better.

The bike rack only receivers are rated to about 100kg or so only, so towing it verboten. I think they are known as as Class A rack in US speak.

Nothing has fell off yet :)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I have one of these on the MPS. I got it from the US not that it is its place of origin. There is a bit more lateral play due to the pinch bolt retainer thing than what I have on the Suzuki receiver. I think the key lock would hold it a bit better.

The bike rack only receivers are rated to about 100kg or so only, so towing it verboten. I think they are known as as Class A rack in US speak.

Nothing has fell off yet :)
I’ve seen a few on some Japanese cars that looked like dealer fit too, they’re a round.

The towbar I’m sure is fine, it’s the flexy cheaper racks that worry...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
High centre of gravity and SWB isnt a problem, just got to be careful how hard you throw the Scandinavian flick! ;)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I’ve seen a few on some Japanese cars that looked like dealer fit too, they’re a round.

The towbar I’m sure is fine, it’s the flexy cheaper racks that worry...
The factory ones can be hideously expensive. The Mazda OEM is about $900ish from memory. I'm sure the factory one is better.

Best to hit up a wrecking yard. I wanted a removal hidden hitch since it would look odd otherwise.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
The factory ones can be hideously expensive. The Mazda OEM is about $900ish from memory. I'm sure the factory one is better.

Best to hit up a wrecking yard. I wanted a removal hidden hitch since it would look odd otherwise.
I wanted a euro style swan neck one for the Renault, was waaaaaay cheaper to buy one on the German eBay and have it freight forwarded. But for common stuff absolutely hit up the wreckers. If you’re planning a self fit go to self serve wreckers and practice on the donor car :)

Flow-Rider

Burner
Eh? Just curious how it drives, I’m sure it’s probably fine but I doubt the dynamic limits are the same as it’s lower longer Camry twin...

They always looked a bit awkward to me, but I drive Renaults so what do I know...

Get all it’s fluids changed though unless there is written evidence of it being done. Even Camrys will die of neglect. That era will be a timing belt too I think, but they’re non interference so it won’t lunch the whole engine if it breaks.
If it hasn't had regular coolant changes, worst thing you can do is change it because the glycol will find all the corrosion and make the car's cooling system leak like a watering can but you already knew that right ?

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I've got a Nissan Xtrail (T31 model I think). It's pretty versatile. It fits families, dogs, bikes etc in it most days of the week. I'm very bias in my opinion, but I do think they are a great car. Heaps of room and storage.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If it hasn't had regular coolant changes, worst thing you can do is change it because the glycol will find all the corrosion and make the car's cooling system leak like a watering can but you already knew that right ?
Nope, that’s a new one... Doesnt sound like a thing to me, but happy to be educated - I’ll dust of my chemistry text books.