Mr Beefy (Cotic BFe)

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Due to some extra time on my hands, I started doing too much thinking and thoughts led to playing around with something of an AM hardtail. I've moved from alu to steel for hardtails before and it's a much nicer ride so this is where I aimed for. @Daniel Hale has kindly sold me a wicked frame to try this out on, a burly cotic bfe - now Mr Beefy

It's early stages yet, first step was to get the frame ready. I've chosen a finish that's going to be harder to achieve than its probably worth and will likely not last - clear coat over raw steel. I hear it's going to rust under the clear, I'm counting on it for effect, but not sure how the clear will go sticking long term with no primer. I'm keeping the cotic graphics too, will try to rough it up a bit and blend that to the steel. It works in my head at least...

Forks will be a cheap set of fox36 with a busted talas module and a dodgy steerer extension. They feel great though so should work till I decide if it's worth upgrading.

Brakes will be Magura mt5
Wheels are Stan's flow on pro2 Evo
Tyres are Minion ss rear and dhf front
Driveline is 1x 11 Shimano xt
Pedals are my blackspire sub420
Old ks lev 150 for the seat post
Still need to suss out a crankset...

Moar to come as I progress!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Due to some extra time on my hands, I started doing too much thinking and thoughts led to playing around with something of an AM hardtail. I've moved from alu to steel for hardtails before and it's a much nicer ride so this is where I aimed for. @Daniel Hale has kindly sold me a wicked frame to try this out on, a burly cotic bfe - now Mr Beefy

It's early stages yet, first step was to get the frame ready. I've chosen a finish that's going to be harder to achieve than its probably worth and will likely not last - clear coat over raw steel. I hear it's going to rust under the clear, I'm counting on it for effect, but not sure how the clear will go sticking long term with no primer. I'm keeping the cotic graphics too, will try to rough it up a bit and blend that to the steel. It works in my head at least...

Forks will be a cheap set of fox36 with a busted talas module and a dodgy steerer extension. They feel great though so should work till I decide if it's worth upgrading.

Brakes will be Magura mt5
Wheels are Stan's flow on pro2 Evo
Tyres are Minion ss rear and dhf front
Driveline is 1x 11 Shimano xt
Pedals are my blackspire sub420
Old ks lev 150 for the seat post
Still need to suss out a crankset...

Moar to come as I progress!

How about attaching a sacrificial anode to it, Plank?

Like they do with the big undersea pipelines. Just replace that as it corrodes, leaving Mr Beefy looking buff.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
How about attaching a sacrificial anode to it, Plank?

Like they do with the big undersea pipelines. Just replace that as it corrodes, leaving Mr Beefy looking buff.

This sounded interesting, I looked into it. Turns out this only works for submerged metals so unless I store it underwater it's probably not going to do much. In any case I want a little rust, at least I think I do, I might not when I see it.

Neat idea tho, made sense till stupid chemistry came along and ruined our fun.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Sounds like a type of pasta. Are you suggesting I stick macaroni all over my bike?

...because I'm not opposed to this idea

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
This sounded interesting, I looked into it. Turns out this only works for submerged metals so unless I store it underwater it's probably not going to do much. In any case I want a little rust, at least I think I do, I might not when I see it.

Neat idea tho, made sense till stupid chemistry came along and ruined our fun.

Doesn't have to be under water. The technology works with cars too, so long as you close the circuit between all the panels. Manufacturers know this, but where's the earn in that!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So finally got it stripped down to where I want it. I can safely say I won't be doing that again, will happily pay a sandblaster because that took HOURS with paint stripper.

Now to leave it out in the weather and see what Melbourne can do to get that rust happening

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
what you need is this stuff

but what it doesn't say on the can is "strips paint off bike frames like a Boss"
spray can FTW!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Thanks, I didn't mind the green but this raw steel look is way cool.

Last nights weather seems to have done its job. I think I like it better than plain raw

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Next trick is to get the forks safe to use. I bought them cheap because the steerer had a failed repair/extension done to it. It's actually not terrible but I think it didn't work due to the thickness difference between the steerer wall and the solid alloy extension they made.

The extension is actually pressed into the steerer about 20mm though and sits tight as a drum, I can't budge it. So my solution was to make an alloy wedge to seat in the taper and drill out the solid extension for an m8 bolt to go through and pull it all together.

In my head this works, I've done it and it feels solid, but I wouldn't mind hearing if anyone else thinks this is a recipe for disaster...

Hugsy

Likes Bikes
I was going to buy this exact frame from daniel 6 months ago but facebook messenger stuffed up and none of my messages got through to him. I really wanted a bfe but because of the failure i settled on a chromag stylus. Enjoy the bike i was going to buy.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I was going to buy this exact frame from daniel 6 months ago but facebook messenger stuffed up and none of my messages got through to him. I really wanted a bfe but because of the failure i settled on a chromag stylus. Enjoy the bike i was going to buy.
That’s not exactly settling though! Cromag’s are awesome.

slowmick

38-39"
Only thought would be "if"it was to let go the front wheel might make a sharp turn without the bars following. The bolt holds it all together but doesn't stop turning independently...

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Only thought would be "if"it was to let go the front wheel might make a sharp turn without the bars following. The bolt holds it all together but doesn't stop turning independently...
Thanks mate, hadn't really given that much thought. I reckon it should hold - between the pulling together, the press fit and the jagged edge left by the failed weld. I'll definitely give it a bit of a play and see if I can twist it when I've got bars and wheels happening.