Rack on a van door?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Don't forget the bouncing and shaking and the leveridge the bike rack would have. The ladder may take your weight, but is that only when the van is stationary?
What?!! How can I van surf if I'm climbing it stationary??

Oh shit, it's french. Parts will fall off by themselves, let alone with something else bolted on :)
Are you riding Tewantin that weekend?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Are you riding Tewantin that weekend?
Unless I can't shake this cold, or hell freezes over.

Will be heading up to Peregian (oldies place) Fri night and coming back on Sunday at some stage (to be determined by my superior).

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Don't forget the bouncing and shaking and the leveridge the bike rack would have. The ladder may take your weight, but is that only when the van is stationary?
Yeah, that too... Well, one way to find out. If you one day look in the mirror and see your bikes skidding along the road with a door attached to them you'll know the answer :)

Flow-Rider

Burner
I would guess if anything it will prematurely wear the hinges out early in life, the rear doors hinges would need to be designed strong enough to be able to take a decent impact up the bum.

DMan

I would guess if anything it will prematurely wear the hinges out early in life, the rear doors hinges would need to be designed strong enough to be able to take a decent impact up the bum.
Yep. Probably right. I know these are bigger vans but they mount on a single door so for the odd trip it should be ok. My worry is more to do with the load being centred over a much smaller area using the 4X4 buzzrack. Unlike the ones that use rails that spread the load wider

Attachments

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yep. Probably right. I know these are bigger vans but they mount on a single door so for the odd trip it should be ok. My worry is more to do with the load being centred over a much smaller area using the 4X4 buzzrack. Unlike the ones that use rails that spread the load wider
You have the option of welding or bolting larger foot plates on or using long steel flatbar brackets to your existing rack and then sandwich plate it through the door skin, you'll want to use some type of rubber in between the clamping because otherwise it distorts the doorskin on the outside and looks horrible, that's why they usually use those 'revit nuts' on the old hilux winged door mirrors that have a small protrusion of the nut on the outside of the doorskin then have a rubber seal between the door skin and mirror mount, besides the rubber seals the inside of the door from water getting in.

DMan

You have the option of welding or bolting larger foot plates on or using long steel flatbar brackets to your existing rack and then sandwich plate it through the door skin, you'll want to use some type of rubber in between the clamping because otherwise it distorts the doorskin on the outside and looks horrible, that's why they usually use those 'revit nuts' on the old hilux winged door mirrors that have a small protrusion of the nut on the outside of the doorskin then have a rubber seal between the door skin and mirror mount, besides the rubber water proofing the inside of the door.
That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of bolting a foot plate to it.