The Insurgency (Evil Insurgent LB)

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A great deal came up on MTBdirect recently and my wife wanted a trip to Bali so I made a deal with the devil and she authorised the purchase of a new Insurgent frame.

Swapped all the gear over from the Nomad and took her up to Eaton’s for her maiden voyage and man does she slay. She wants to fly, while also being an absolute sled. Happy days.

Frame - Evil Insurgent LB Large
Rear shock - Fox Float X2 Factory
Front shock/fork - Fox 36 170mm FIT4 with Luftkappe
Handlebars - Spank Spike Vibrocore
Stem - Joystick Binary 35mm
Headset - FSA
Grips - Ergon GE1
Saddle - Ergon SME3
Seatpost - OneUp 170mm
Front brake - Hope Tech E4 w/203mm Hope rotor
Rear brake - Hope Tech E4 w/180mm Hope rotor
Cranks - Raceface Aeffect with 30t
Chainguide Inbuilt guide + Funn Zippa Lite Bashie
Chain - SRAM
Pedals - Nukeproof Horizon Pro
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT M8000 11 speed
Front shifter - NIL
Rear shifter - Shimano XT M8000
Cassette - Sunrace 11-46t
Front hub - Industry 9 Torch
Rear hub - Industry 9 Torch w/boostinator
Front rim - Spank Oozy Trail 345
Rear rim - Spank Oozy Trail 345
Spokes - DT Swiss Competition
Nipples - Brass
Tyres - Assegai 2.5wt 3c Maxx Terra front and Dissector 2.4WT or Aggressor 2.5WT DD or DHR2 2.4WT rear.
Tubes - NIL
Total weight - TBA

Last edited:

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers guys!

Ordering some stealth decals for the Monarch as we speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What a great build @TheAzza Looks mint too.

How does it compare to the Nomad???
I actually expected I would either regret buying it because the Nomad was a nicer ride, or because they were very similar, but so far the Evil feels better in almost every way.
It feels lighter when climbing, but only taken it up the fire road at Eatons, so far.
It definitely feels longer, which it is, but it still feels right for me in Large and I am only 5’10ish.
It really wants to launch, I found myself overshooting a lot of jumps at the speed I was hitting them on the Nomad, so that will take some finessing and getting used to.
It is definitely more playful, but in the Xlow (have not ridden in low) it somehow feels like an absolute sled, plush, composed, more balanced and rails berms better.

I thought that I would miss the Topaz, but it seems a Monarch plus tuned for the bike it is on is a damned fine shock. Have no urge to replace that thing at all.......yet.

In summary: it fucking slays and I just wanna quit my job and ride it all day, every day.

SDA

Likes Dirt
How's the Assegai in Maxx Terra? Still a grip monster or a bit sketchy on harder surfaces due to the harder knobs?

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How's the Assegai in Maxx Terra? Still a grip monster or a bit sketchy on harder surfaces due to the harder knobs?
I never tried the Maxx Grip one, but it definitely has more all round grip than the DHF it replaced.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Updated the Diamond to a 36, just cause.
Also took some more pics of it, seeing as it tried to kill me at Bright the other weekend and I still cannot ride, or walk very well.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
100% would ride. And you have to watch Bright. Great fun, but if you get it wrong... ouch

How long are you likely to be resting up for?

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Updated the Diamond to a 36, just cause.
Also took some more pics of it, seeing as it tried to kill me at Bright the other weekend and I still cannot ride, or walk very well.

What happened at Bright? Dare I ask?

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What happened at Bright? Dare I ask?
Was sending a few of the A lines down Hero with @the drizzle and on the last run I just way over shot the second jump, and also nosed right over and basically landed on my face. Thanks to my Proframe, which is now fucked, I sustained no head injuries. Spent that evening in the Bright hospital and since coming back had a neck X-ray (not broken) and then my knee blew up on Saturday (a week later) and it looks like I might have some sort of bursa infection or torn PCL.
Having MRI tomorrow.

Highly rate the Proframe. You never know how good a helmet is until you have a crash like that and wonder how you would have fared in anything else. Bought a new one immediately, in Atomic Orange so emergency services can find me more easily. Haha.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
100% would ride. And you have to watch Bright. Great fun, but if you get it wrong... ouch

How long are you likely to be resting up for?
I keep saying I am going to ride tomorrow, but tomorrow has not yet arrived.
If it is just infection, it should only be another week or so, I think.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Was sending a few of the A lines down Hero with @the drizzle and on the last run I just way over shot the second jump, and also nosed right over and basically landed on my face. Thanks to my Proframe, which is now fucked, I sustained no head injuries. Spent that evening in the Bright hospital and since coming back had a neck X-ray (not broken) and then my knee blew up on Saturday (a week later) and it looks like I might have some sort of bursa infection or torn PCL.
Having MRI tomorrow.

Highly rate the Proframe. You never know how good a helmet is until you have a crash like that and wonder how you would have fared in anything else. Bought a new one immediately, in Atomic Orange so emergency services can find me more easily. Haha.

I shouldn’t have asked... I hate thinking about what might happen when I’m jumping.

hope you heal up soon and get back on that beautiful bike