Brake fluid life span

T-Rex

Template denier
Geez this Shimano oil sounds good it's a wonder every car and motorcycle manufacturer hasn't ditched DOT brake fluid and got onto it.
It's a safety issue. Water is heavier than oil and the two don't mix, whereas glycol and water do mix. If you ran oil in a car, and managed to splash water in the master cylinder, it would end up sitting in the lowest point in the system ie the calipers. So you would have a fluid with a 100 degree boiling point sitting in the part of the system that gets the hottest...... not good.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
It's a safety issue. Water is heavier than oil and the two don't mix, whereas glycol and water do mix. If you ran oil in a car, and managed to splash water in the master cylinder, it would end up sitting in the lowest point in the system ie the calipers. So you would have a fluid with a 100 degree boiling point sitting in the part of the system that gets the hottest...... not good.
not really an issue in a Citroen - the suspension, brakes and steering all run off the one big reservoir and main pressure pump circulating constantly through the whole system. Any contamination, water or otherwise, is picked up serious filters and never impacts the system itself.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Thanks @T-Rex have wondered about this myself.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
So the other day at harcourt my Guide RE's were acting a bit strange. Everything fine on the first two runs, but on my third run I had this strange thing were the break would come on too suddenly from a gentle pull (front only), but then was fine. Is the wandering bite point thing common on SRAM too? Thought it was a Shimano thing.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
So the other day at harcourt my Guide RE's were acting a bit strange. Everything fine on the first two runs, but on my third run I had this strange thing were the break would come on too suddenly from a gentle pull (front only), but then was fine. Is the wandering bite point thing common on SRAM too? Thought it was a Shimano thing.
Either over filled with fluid or a sticky piston.