Rocky Mountain Slayer

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Anyone in AUS had any luck sourcing a reasonably priced replacement derailleur hanger for a Slayer?

It's $35 on RM website but $35 shipping (presumably from Canada).

The one store i asked here quoted me $60 plus shipping.... so i guess by the time the distributor and the shop both decide to rip me off that's where we get to... ridiculous.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Anyone in AUS had any luck sourcing a reasonably priced replacement derailleur hanger for a Slayer?

The one store i asked here quoted me $60 plus shipping.... so i guess by the time the distributor and the shop both decide to rip me off that's where we get to... ridiculous.
Try north shore billet. Pushys and a few other shops stock them.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid

Hey mate PM sent.

teK--

Eats Squid
I'm just a bit late to the party having finally made a trip to Derby but with the bike this time. (Went last year but couldn't ride due an injury).

So far would have to say Kumma Gutza and Trouty are my favorite tracks. Followed close second by Return to Sender and Flickety Sticks.

Riding through the old mining tunnel with the super low height and pitch black was a hoot!

Had 2.5 days of riding (first half day was rained out), yet still didn't get to ride everything. Cannot wait to go back.

Here are some photos; enjoy :D

teK--

Eats Squid
Some great pics in there! What's the up/down on your super bike with those trails?
Cheers mate.

Bike ride like a champ all weekend on all the downs and ups. Saved my ass on some rocky steep sections, but still kept up with most of the group on the biggest climbing days.

It's a shame they made the new Slayer a bigger longer bike, which makes it less suitable as a one bike quiver.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Derby is definitely all time, and all the better on a slayer! Regret selling mine :(

safreek

Bits in blue have been replaced from stock:

Frame - 2019 Rocky Mountain Slayer - 165mm travel. Invisiframe protection.
Rear shock - Fox DHX2 Factory, 375Lb Super Alloy Racing spring
Front shock/fork - Fox 36 Performance Elite - 170mm travel, GRIP2 damper
Handlebars - Spank Spike 35 Vibrocore - Cut to 785mm
Stem - Truvativ Descendant 35 - 40mm length
Headset - Hope
Grips - Renthal Traction - Kevlar
Saddle - Specialized Henge Comp
Seatpost - Raceface Turbine R - 150mm (basically a Fox Transfer post). Wolftooth lever.
Front brake - Hope E4 - SRAM Centerline 200mm - Metallic pads
Rear brake - Hope E4 - SRAM Centerline 200mm - Metallic pads
Cranks - Truvativ Descendant 7K - Alloy, 170mm. Eagle NX (steel) 34T
Chainguide - Rocky Mountain Spirit Guide, OneUp bash guard.
Chain - SRAM Eagle GX
Pedals - DMR Vault
Rear derailleur - SRAM Eagle GX
Rear shifter - SRAM Eagle GX
Cassette - SRAM Eagle 10-50
Front hub - Hope Pro 4 boost
Rear hub - Hope Pro 4 boost
Front rim - DT Swiss EX511
Rear rim - DT Swiss EX511
Spokes - Sapim Race double butted 2.0/1.8
Nipples - Sapim Polyax brass + DT washers
Tyres - Minion Assegai 2.5 / Minion DHR 2.4. WT and 3C Max Terra
Tubes - Tubeless. Cushcore in rear.
Total weight - 15.1Kg

This is what it is meant to look like out of the box, but I wouldn't know as I replaced heaps of bits before it even touched dirt for the first time:

View attachment 348512

Being off the dirt for some 10 weeks with an injury gave me heaps of time to slowly build this beast up rather than the usual frantic unbox one day and getting it ready to ride the next day.

Also with not being able to ride gave me heaps of time to read and learn how to build wheels. Here I am building up my first set for my own bike, which makes sense that I should be the guinea pig of my novice workmanship. Thanks to Boom King and DuckMeister for the inspiration and tips:

View attachment 348515

Picture perfect:

View attachment 348516

Now I have a collection of bits ready to keep me busy for the following weeks:

View attachment 348517

Then came the long awaited day to unbox (ok I lied I did have a peek the day it got delivered):

View attachment 348514

The headset was seriously tight af to press in, even though I stuck the cups in the freezer overnight. Much stress, swearing and sweating at this point:

View attachment 348518

Some decals from Slik Graphics. Top quality printing and quality of vinyl. I found they were slightly oversized compared to the stock ones so be careful with placement to avoid overlaps:

View attachment 348519

Whoever designed this cable port thing is an arsehole as they made the slots too narrow to fit brake hoses through... Had to cut and replace the barbs off:

View attachment 348520

Couldn't get the XD cassette off as the monkeys at the factory did it up way too tight, and the chainwhip I had wasn't long enough to wrap around the 50T without slipping. Ended up going to a shop before I destroyed the lockring.

For future I made this new improved tool which I will name the Enduro Whip (trademark pending):

View attachment 348521

OK not really that long I ended up trimming it in the end but you can see how it works now:
View attachment 348522

[fast forward through all the boring shit like shortening cables, putting on decals, frame protection and other stuff]

And tada, it is now finished:

View attachment 355256

Some closer up pics:
View attachment 348523

View attachment 348524

View attachment 348525

View attachment 348526

View attachment 348527

View attachment 348529

View attachment 348532

View attachment 348530

View attachment 348531

Next update will be about observations and tweaks after having gone for a few rides. Cheers!
Nice bike

teK--

Eats Squid
Too wet to ride this weekend, so it's time to update.

1. Smashpot in. Very easy to assemble and install as long as you follow the instructions when setting preload, and ignore the advice on forums like the fuckwit I am.

TBH, off the top it is very similar to the Evol air spring. Where it shines is it is much more supportive in the mid stroke, and can dial in the end stroke progression just by turning a knob. That plus consistency all round whether cold, hot, whatever.

Started on the "medium" spring for my weight, and ended up changing to the "soft" spring because evidently I don't shred as hard as Jesse Melamed.

Don't notice the extra 460grams after the first couple of rides.

2. 2020 Slayer chainstay silencer. Out with the ghetto fan belt, and this part sticks right on with some slight trimming for the cable to go through. Does what it says on the box. I hear it fits Altitudes as well.

3. Eagle derailleur clutch was getting pretty tired, and chain slapped louder than shagging a bucket. Read that Eagle and Shimano 12spd stuff is all cross compatible, so changed out the shfiter and derialleur for XT.

Loving having double upshift again, and the clutch is miles better than the Eagle even when it was new. The shifter now sits tucked up under the lever now instead of hanging down low in harms way. It has a nice rubber grip pad. The lever clicks are less defined as on Eagle, so it takes a bit of finesse to avoid accidentailly double shifting. Shifts smooth af with Eagle cassette and chain.

Waiting for the rain to stop so we can get out and ride!

Attachments

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
1. Smashpot in. Very easy to assemble and install as long as you follow the instructions when setting preload, and ignore the advice on forums like the fuckwit I am.

TBH, off the top it is very similar to the Evol air spring. Where it shines is it is much more supportive in the mid stroke, and can dial in the end stroke progression just by turning a knob. That plus consistency all round whether cold, hot, whatever.

Started on the "medium" spring for my weight, and ended up changing to the "soft" spring because evidently I don't shred as hard as Jesse Melamed.

Don't notice the extra 460grams after the first couple of rides.
Good to hear it's a worthy upgrade. I'm almost pulling the trigger on one.

How much do you weigh out of curiosity, and which weight spring did you go for initially, then which did you settle on?

And what travel did you set it to?

teK--

Eats Squid
Good to hear it's a worthy upgrade. I'm almost pulling the trigger on one.

How much do you weigh out of curiosity, and which weight spring did you go for initially, then which did you settle on?

And what travel did you set it to?
66kg out of shower, 70kg ready to ride. 170mm travel.

The Vorsprung chart assumes naked weight. They already take into account 2-3kg for clothing, shoes, pads and helmet.

For a "medium" I am halfway between 35lb and 40lb on the chart.

Started on a 40Lb spring which gave about same sag as air, but found it slightly too firm even with the bottom out control all the way open.

Swapped it for a 35Lb which is "soft" on the chart. It is perfect and means I can run anywhere from 0 to 5 clicks of bottom out depending on what I'm riding. Opened up rebound a couple of clicks all other settings unchanged from air.

I am lead to believe you need to run slightly more sag with coil, since the midstroke is firmer.

Just do it and don't look back :D

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@teK-- the Slayer chain stay guard looks great. Where did you get it from? My Instinct is noisy AF and I've managed to get it mostly quiet with a shitload of slapper tape but would love something more factory in appearance.