Little Things You Hate

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I don’t think our biggest issues are related to what China will do to Antarctica in 2043

Straya. Priorities SNAFU.
A lot of it (most of it...) is climate research. Antarctica and big bits of it sliding off into the ocean is a big one to watch...

Haakon

Do we really need a weekly A319 flight for that?

Maybe they have a grandstand & sell tickets.
Yeah, there are 3 main bases served by that runway and a LOT of equipment needed - lots of personnel movements. The RAAF using their C-17 transport planes too. Plus the Aurora Australia icebreaker that takes the heavy stuff and fuel supplies - it does a bunch of supply trips each summer and along with the ocean research voyages (new CSIRO ship took over a lot of that a few years ago though).

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
When it's winter they don't fly in.

I doubt I can be convinced weekly flights are vital. I would say they do weekly flights 'cause shit's convenient, dawg.

Haakon

When it's winter they don't fly in.

I doubt I can be convinced weekly flights are vital. I would say they do weekly flights 'cause shit's convenient, dawg.
It all gets done in a 3 month window, the rest of the year its extreme emergency evacuations only.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Prove it.

1 flight/week = cost vs CO2 vs science'n'shit
1 flight/fortnight = cost vs CO2 vs science'n'shit
1 flight/month = cost vs CO2 vs science'n'shit

Last edited:

Haakon

Mawson station has wind turbines, but not super reliable - the conditions are rather extreme and when something goes wrong over winter no one is going to be climbing up to fix them. They’re working on renewable energy (solar for summer, wind for winter) though if only to save money - the cost of shipping a LOT of diesel in each season for heating and power is pretty significant. The airlink is the least of the emissions... But ultimately reliability wins over costs and emissions - the heating fails down there you die.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The only people I personally know who've been to 'tarctica stayed through winter & got there by boat.

They are not part of the Bali nine.

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Lots of effort and money will be going into the Antarctic in coming years/decades - its an increasingly tricky geopolitical arena... Believe it or not, Australia is in to protect it, and to do that we need a strong presence there.
You know there’s a few Australians that were born in Antarctica?

That’s means it’s practically ours...