Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
So what have you guys personally done to combat 'climate change'?
I wonder how many of you now refuse to fly; drive electric cars; spent thousands on solar systems......
Remember when the greens / labor said last years election was about the climate? And guess what, people saw through all this crap.
So what you guys are basically saying is that if we were paying a carbon Tax, it would solve everything!
I dont give a toss my view here is un-popular - its my view - i can think for myself, dont need any lefty journalists (The Guradian, ABC) telling me how to think.
I think you’ve amply demonstrated that your ability to think for yourself is somewhat limited...

D01

Likes Dirt
I was surprised at the number of firies that came through my place blaming the greens for this. One validated it saying the EPA has shut down a lot of hazard reduction because the poor city folk don't like the smoke it causes.

moorey

call me Mia
I was surprised at the number of firies that came through my place blaming the greens for this. One validated it saying the EPA has shut down a lot of hazard reduction because the poor city folk don't like the smoke it causes.
The stupid is mind boggling.
Green haven’t had, and can’t have any control of reduction burns. They’re even being blamed for intentionally lighting many of the fires.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So when we hear the majority of fires are lit by firebugs. blame it on climate change.
A common argument. I typically attribute this to two things:
  1. Repeated, long term funding cuts to the mental health sector - meaning people with these types of tendencies are no longer noticed or given counseling until at best after the deed is committed (as I understand it is an act/crime that typically escalates over time, so is normally preceeded by smaller acts).
  2. The sensationalizing of the "risk" by the media. It is no longer sufficient to just report that it's a Total Fire Ban day - it's always "Most extreme fire danger day since (insert arbitrary date)". This tends to bring out the worst of the offenders from point #1, but the media doesn't care because it makes them briefly relevant again.
Lack of backburning thanks to stupid green policies, lets just blame climate change.
Reduced backburning was due to unfavorable conditions as I understand it. The "inadquate fuel reduction" is crap too. Dead trees and foliage have a role in our bush beyond providing potential firewood for humans, it is vital habitat for many endangered species (various lizards, birds, marsupials, insects)

Remember, even if Australia goes back to the stone age, with ZERO carbon emmisions, there would be NO effect to the temperature.
What's your source on this? Any scientific material to back this up?

I wonder how many of you now refuse to fly; drive electric cars; spent thousands on solar systems......
I don't fly (by choice, I have the means to if I desired). I don't drive an electric car, but this is more because the current internal combustion driven car I have (a small hatchback) is still perfectly serviceable, and is doing a lot less environmental damage than producing a new car would. I also deliberately bought an existing house, as close to my work as possible. This limits my emissions by simply not being on the road for long. I would ride to work except I don't feel safe sharing the road with the numerous semi-trailers that route through the 80kph arterial roads that route through my area (nor do I think it's fair on the truck drivers trying to do their job in the middle of a transport hub having to try and dodge cyclists where dedicated lanes don't exist).

What car do you drive? How frequently do you travel by plane and for what reasons?

Remember when the greens / labor said last years election was about the climate? And guess what, people saw through all this crap.
People mostly bought into the franking credits fear tactics. The Morrison government was also the first to fully embrace the power of social media during their campaigning, using it to make the campaign emotional for people rather than based on fact or policy.

It's a sad indictment of the Howard-era (and later) education cuts that people are stupid enough to not be able to analyse these messages and see them for what they are.

So what you guys are basically saying is that if we were paying a carbon Tax, it would solve everything!
I dont give a toss my view here is un-popular - its my view - i can think for myself, dont need any lefty journalists (The Guradian, ABC) telling me how to think.
I'm fine with people having unpopular views, but only if they can give sound reasons rather than resorting to name-calling.

Unfortunately, I also don't think your views are unpopular, just self-serving. I'll put this question to you - what negatives are there to reducing or energy use, resource consumption and emissions? Do you want to live on a dirtier, more costly, more polluted planet? Regardless of political views - surely no-one wants that?

Last edited:

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In Victoria at least the CFA volunteer brigade has a damaging and unproductive culture problem of hating the paid DWELP fire fighters.

It’s the DWELP guys that do the controlled burns and the volunteers (which do sadly have a fair share of herald sun reading 2GB listeners...) thinks they’re doing it wrong. It’s a problem.
So not all firies speak for all of them, there are some subtleties to be aware of...
We did some workshops with EMV personnel that included CFA, SES, DWELP and others, and even in a benign training environment it was very apparent that there's quite a few issues between the different services. Throw DHHS (which has it's own competiting, and often poorly defined objectives) over the top and it doesn't surprise me that there are a lot of friction points and finger pointing at times.
I'm always incredibly impressed but what some of those teams are able to achieve, especially with the lack of funding, resources and direction at times

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
On a different point, I'm concerned as to how much of the donations being made will actually reach affected victims and how. I read ( I think on their FB page) that the Red Cross have confirmed they take an amount greater to 20% of all donations for administrative costs so you'd have to think that amount would be conservative.
I'm surprised they haven't set up a seperate appeal and guarantee'd 100% of donations to victims, though considering they've been caught underpaying staff with (according to the guardian) $20m owing the pessimist in me thinks they'll be seeing this as a great opportunity to pay back some debts.
It's going to be a massive task, very soon, of administering tens of millions of dollars to thousands of displaced victims.
you are wise to be concerned. the newcastle earthquake fund that over many months eventually raised some $9m never gave all of it out - barely 50% was paid out. they looked after the fund like it was their own money and made it so hard to get at, that thousands of people wh really needed help never got any, and it took years to work through. i personally knew no one who got money out of it, yet i knew a number of people who lost everything (renters in the city).

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Yeah, whatever...
So when we hear the majority of fires are lit by firebugs. blame it on climate change.
Lack of backburning thanks to stupid green policies, lets just blame climate change.
Remember, even if Australia goes back to the stone age, with ZERO carbon emmisions, there would be NO effect to the temperature.
Fires lit by firebugs don't gain anywhere near this traction if we're not experiencing heat and dry conditions. Firebugs are fucked in the head, but climate has a big impact too.

Greens have no policy against fuel reduction burns, and no power to implement it even if they did. You're thinking of greenIES that physically go out there and stupidly stop it. Big difference, it'd be like blaming the liberal party for priests abusing kids.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I never understood the hate that CC hacktivists seem to want to share at every given opportunity.

The haters are no better than the deniers.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I never understood the hate that CC hacktivists seem to want to share at every given opportunity.

The haters are no better than the deniers.
So far most of the hate I'm seeing comes from the deniers. Rather than provide evidence based arguments they yell louder because that's how they believe you win Alan Jones is the poster boy for this. Who of the climate change leaders yells and abuses people on a constant basis?

FigBo0T

So far most of the hate I'm seeing comes from the deniers. Rather than provide evidence based arguments they yell louder because that's how they believe you win Alan Jones is the poster boy for this. Who of the climate change leaders yells and abuses people on a constant basis?
Your entire comment is dripping with animosity, and is typical of the mood here. You have targets, and people to blame.

To answer your question, I need to ask a question. Is Greta Thunberg a 'climate change leader'?

Haakon

To answer your question, I need to ask a question. Is Greta Thunberg a 'climate change leader'?
No, she isn’t. She is a campaigner. Besides, she got pissed off once. Can’t say I blame her...

Climate change leaders are those working on the science in my view.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
People mostly bought into the franking credits fear tactics. The Morrison government was also the first to fully embrace the power of social media during, using it to make the campaign emotional for people rather than based on fact or policy.

It's a sad indictment of the post-Howard-era education cuts that people are stupid enough to not be able to analyse these messages and see them for what they are.

Labor suffered from 2 things - making themselves a big target, and the arrogance of expectation of winning (believing the polls)

i understand they havent won the SM war, but at the same time, the polls kept predicting an easy labor win right up to the last day, but the prof who did the online number crunching put the libs ahead for months before. its the danger of operating inside echo chambers - anyone familiar with whirlpool for instance will know how much of a left wing echo chamber it is - they had zero expectation of losing in May - i imagine it was similar inside the party.

And in context of what we are talking about, the ALP has turned away from climate change - so again they mistake a failure to engage to policy. make yourself a small target, get a relateable leader (they still havent got the right one) - its almost universal, people dont like change, so dont say you are going to change everything - that drives fear.

for climate change, the time to strike is right now. the mood is right

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
No, she isn’t. She is a campaigner. Besides, she got pissed off once. Can’t say I blame her...

I'd actually say she is a leader. She's done a fuckload more in terms of inspiring and succinctly outlining the task ahead than those voted in, in any case. And she pisses off boomers, which generally means she's on the right track.

Climate change scientists aren't generally leaders - typically scientists are smart people who have very poor ability in delivering their messages, hence part of the reason for the massive fuck up and politicising of science we have on our hands.

Haakon

I'd actually say she is a leader. She's done a fuckload more in terms of inspiring and succinctly outlining the task ahead than those voted in, in any case. And she pisses off boomers, which generally means she's on the right track.

Climate change scientists aren't generally leaders - typically scientists are smart people who have very poor ability in delivering their messages, hence part of the reason for the massive fuck up and politicising of science we have on our hands.
Yeah, matter of defining leader. Not sure what the questioner meant there.

I take your point and probably agree if looked at objectively - I’m betraying my own scientific tendencies looking to the actual scientists ;)

FigBo0T

A view we share.

Greta Thunberg is a puppet, and represents the 'problem' with CC activism. It's too easy for the deniers to disregard activism when it's giving the appearance of being a charade.

I like making broad statements to bring out the projectionists.

I've been on the CC train for at least a decade. It's why I finally got an internet machine. Science is not religion, and people need to understand that before they open their mouths.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Your entire comment is dripping with animosity, and is typical of the mood here. You have targets, and people to blame.

Any tone your reading intoy comment is put there by you not me. So often in these discussions no matter what either sides says the other reads the tone they want.

As to Gretta Thunberg (these is going to be plenty of tone here) I don't understand the hate, Alan Jones has been taken to court and fined for spending years making a family's life a nightmare because of lies yet he is a poster boy of the conservative thinkers. One young Woman stands up and says this is bullshit and the entire conservative world falls to pieces, harden up princesses you have been yelling at people for decades.

Last edited: