Fire Warnings

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Love it, great build

This is what I'm setting up, they will only be hepa but also have a regular purifier so the more the merrier right. Just waiting on the postie for the filters. Also nice that the link has some real world data so we won't argue over its effectiveness.

We’re at the stage where anything worth trying - fully expecting another big smoke cloud in next 24 hours and last night was so miserable. I think these DIY jobs will help a bit

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Help me here please...

Was there a significant back burn operation last year in the blue mountains of NSW called off due to the excessive smoke and subsequent drop in air quality?
Yes. Yes there was. Emergency Services Minister had quite the tanty in the Parks office so I heard.

Thing is NPWS has a contract with the State Government to burn a set area of park estate each and every year. The area set has no scientific basis from what I understand nor is it based on risk to life and habitation...it's just a number with a dollar figure. And they've struggled with satisfying the burn area for quite some time...due partially to NPWS spending most of the last 4 years in restructure mode. So many skilled and experienced people left that they are still struggling somewhat.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
We’re at the stage where anything worth trying - fully expecting another big smoke cloud in next 24 hours and last night was so miserable. I think these DIY jobs will help a bit
Yeah we have taped every window and door shut except the front door which I installed weather stripping on for winter. Its made a huge difference along with the purifier in the kids room while they sleep to try and keep it clean for them to sleep in.

silentbutdeadly

True. The Sydney one looks similar, and it's been dripping here, NW outskirts, for an hour after about an hour of storm, so I'm hoping
Lucky you...we've got nothing. And nothing is forecast for the foreseeable future. Except more hot weather.

Three years running, this place has barely exceeded 300mm. Median annual rain is 650 mm based on BoM records going back to the end of the 19th century. Up until 2018 there had never been consecutive years of 350mm or less...so a triple based on only 298mm is ridiculous.

All that said...the area around Mudgee looks far, far worse than this place.

silentbutdeadly

These are in stock in Sydney (Parramatta) for $429 inclusive plus delivery. They may also be available in Melbourne. There is a cheaper one that does ~400cfm but this does ~1000cfm. They are very good and will go down to 1 micron...

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Lucky you...we've got nothing. And nothing is forecast for the foreseeable future. Except more hot weather.

Three years running, this place has barely exceeded 300mm. Median annual rain is 650 mm based on BoM records going back to the end of the 19th century. Up until 2018 there had never been consecutive years of 350mm or less...so a triple based on only 298mm is ridiculous.

All that said...the area around Mudgee looks far, far worse than this place.
That's rough mate. I hope things turn around soon.

I see a lot of bush all over the state with work. Was at Windamere in October. It's a gut wrenching view.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Must be terrible smoke closer to the fire fronts. We are 400km from anything currently, but I can’t spend more than 10 minutes outside without choking, and visibility is 100m tops.

View attachment 358632

Reposted from a science teacher friend:

For Melbournites who dislike today's air (up to 281 PPM @2.5 micron). Sydney air got up to 2550 PPM in Rozelle, and is still over 1000 PPM in Oakdale.
Yes, our air is hazardous (>200 PPM). It can get worse. I imagine Canberra is worse too. Let’s do something about climate change hey!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Reposted from a science teacher friend:

For Melbournites who dislike today's air (up to 281 PPM @2.5 micron). Sydney air got up to 2550 PPM in Rozelle, and is still over 1000 PPM in Oakdale.
Yes, our air is hazardous (>200 PPM). It can get worse. I imagine Canberra is worse too. Let’s do something about climate change hey!
I think we nudged 4000 yesterday

D01

Likes Dirt
A funny thing happened when the southerly wind blew in on one of those hot days a couple of weeks ago. The fire was pretty much directly south of us 8 or 9 kms away. When the wind kicked in and caused the fire to kick off, the smoke from the fire billowed straight up and over the top of us. We had the clearest air for weeks even though the wind was coming from the direction of the fire.

_20200106_222403.JPG

Litenbror

Eats Squid
What's everyone using to keep up to date with the fires in the ACT? I've got fires near me NSW app but I've heard it's not updated for the ACT as regularly. Is there a Twitter feed or something that is more current?

D01

Likes Dirt
The Fires Near Me app became not very helpful for us in the last week or so. For example the fire at the Sussex Inlet intersection that was all over the national news didn't show up for a couple of days.

We used the satellite hot spot imaging from geoscience Australia. Then get wind predictions from several sources, and then you can roughly guess where it's headed or if it's burning near you.

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
What's everyone using to keep up to date with the fires in the ACT? I've got fires near me NSW app but I've heard it's not updated for the ACT as regularly. Is there a Twitter feed or something that is more current?
just https://esa.act.gov.au/ (which has NSW fires as well) and then jump on twitter and search for the incidents by name to see if any more info