When did this thread turn into a scooter discussion?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Certainly not enthusiasts. More like people who take the sport up and then ditch it only months later. I rekon most is spillover from the roadie crowd. The other is motorbike enthusiasts who are now crossing over to ebikes.
this, and people who think they are too cool to play golf.

used market is flooded, mtb is just past it’s sporting peak i reckon, in 3-5 things will settle down, less 10k bikes will b sold and they will spec 4-5k bikes with a decent groupset.

i read the other day manufacturers have to buy complete groupo’s from sram, they won’t let them mix/match gears,cranks.cassettes etc

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I will never (he says now) ride and e-bike as I belive bicycling should be purely pedal power, but I see the attraction of knocking out 2-3 times as many kilometres and in particularly doing multiple descents that would otherwise require a shuttle.

But the big question is where do these bikes, as a whole, sit on the hot/crazy scale?
Surely they're down the lower end, kinda like settling for what you can get rather than stretching for the best?

indica

Serial flasher
mtb is just past it’s sporting peak i reckon,
Again. This has happened before when millions of dollars were thrown at world cup riders and teams.
Bikes have always been expensive.
Magura Hydraulic rim brakes weren't cheap. Suspension wasn't cheap either.
Upgrading to Junior T's from Indy C. Bike didn't come with good stuff.
My Schwinn Homegrown 4 Banger was at least $5k and that was back in 1998 (my income then was likely to have been $20k).
Compare to that the GT Sanction I bought for $4.5k in 2015 and is a much more capable bike (four times the income).

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
This thread is about being jealous of people that ride expensive bikes and as such the following comment is off topic but

who am I to deny a person the pleasure of mountain biking and associated camaraderie because the only way they can access that is via ebike ?
It could be on-topic. I admit to some jealousy for bikes I can't afford, and ebikes are as expensive as they get.
I see where you're coming from, but I don't care. It's not like they're an option for the handicapped, when they're used to shuttle enduro runs, is it?
They aren't mountain bikes, they are motorised bikes. Motorbikes. Available from all good MTB manufacturers now.
Sigh ....

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I like this idea my wife is not called Tiffany but is close to the danger zone.
Anyone know what happened to mywifesirrational ? Maybe out of action ? Maybe she got him?
No shit, in my 20's I had a red head girlfriend named Tiffany!
It was 3 years of "fun".

stirk

Burner
Not sure if anyone had mentioned yet but the value of the dollar has seen prices fluctuate.

My 2014 bike I picked up for $2,600 and I think I got a small discount from RRP. At the time the dollar was almost on par with the US.
Same bike now has an RRP of $3,700 which is a big difference.

It could be on-topic. I admit to some jealousy for bikes I can't afford, and ebikes are as expensive as they get.
I see where you're coming from, but I don't care. It's not like they're an option for the handicapped, when they're used to shuttle enduro runs, is it?
They aren't mountain bikes, they are motorised bikes. Motorbikes. Available from all good MTB manufacturers now.
Sigh ....
I can't follow this, riding an ebike to the top of a dh run is worse than driving ?

moorey

call me Mia
Not sure if anyone had mentioned yet but the value of the dollar has seen prices fluctuate.

My 2014 bike I picked up for $2,600 and I think I got a small discount from RRP. At the time the dollar was almost on par with the US.
Same bike now has an RRP of $3,700 which is a big difference.
How can it be the same bike 5-6 years later?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Always...

Cheapies have always been cheapies and some were even ok. High end and specials were always lots of money.

stirk

Burner
How can it be the same bike 5-6 years later?
Jebus, when did your become a pedant.....
They are obviously not the same bike as you have a later model in your shed so will know this, but the bike is a similar spec entry of an evolution from same manufacturer and the price is a good comparison. That's what I should have said.

If I was going to write an essay about what I'm saying I'd bang on about perception over recent times when our dollar was high and how that might make it seem like bikes are really expensive 'all of a sudden'

OP did say since last five years and I was just drawing a comparison to recent dollar values but you know this already.

My TLDR reply is.....
It is not the same bike, we needed BOOST

Apparently.

moorey

call me Mia
TLDR. The 5yo bike isn’t the same bike. Comparable level, but a lot will have changed. It may be dearer, but I bet it has better parts.