The QUICK question thread.....

safreek

Wait till you get a few punctured tubes and do them all at once.
If you don't use the glue for a long time then it has just dried out right when you need it anyhow.
The glue has been in the tubes, they just never stick properly. That plastic shit, why, just why

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
You of all people should know this, but get the proper old school valcanising kits, costs the same as a new tube and you get about 8 patches.
i thought the vulcanising ones were banned, an asbestos like substance & toxicity when you burnt them :rolleyes:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Where about are you getting vulcanising kits these days
I just used to get these to throw into the basket whenever I needed to get above the free shipping threshold...at one point I had a tube with about 28 patches until it let go at the valve junction not one patch failed, it became a matter of principle in the end (I actually think I may still have that one in the garage-when it gets to that stage yes a new tube is probably cheaper).

Farkin shits me to tears when I pass some one on the road and I see them ride off after repairing a flat and just leaving the tube on the nature strip/gutter.

Try using the glue between the tube and the patch instead of sniffing it?
And wait about 4/5 mins for glue to go properly tacky before sticking the patch on...patients needed.

i thought the vulcanising ones were banned, an asbestos like substance & toxicity when you burnt them :rolleyes:
You use them to stop air leaking from tubes...you not supposed to smoke the stuff...

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Relevant to patching holes I just picked up a kit from the LBS so I could extract a bit more life from a tyre, Weldtite brand kit specifically marketed for repairing holes on the inside of tubeless tyres I was surprised to find super glue inside in place of the usual rubber cement... 0.5/10 would not recommend.

nzhumpy

I may be giving away my tightarse tendencies here, but those Lezyne ones I linked up there ^ work on the inside of tyres that have been punctured and the Stans won't seal, a few I found other brands don't play well as soon as they meet sealant or a sealant has been used previously.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I may be giving away my tightarse tendencies here, but those Lezyne ones I linked up there ^ work on the inside of tyres that have been punctured and the Stans won't seal, a few I found other brands don't play well as soon as they meet sealant or a sealant has been used previously.
Good to know, I've always used the Lezyne ones to patch tubes and they've always been great, just wasn't sure if they'd hold on the inside of a tubeless tyre, I assume you dry of the wet sealant before applying?

safreek

Anyone here remember the true vulcanising kits they used to have which required setting the back alight & the resultent gunpowder flame would fuse the patch to the tube?

I tried looking for those the other day but couldn't find them. Probably for good reason.

[edit] Ohhh - phosphorous!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114676
Yeah, that's the ones that I was thinking of, they were pretty good.
Never even burnt myself with them either, soft as.

nzhumpy

Good to know, I've always used the Lezyne ones to patch tubes and they've always been great, just wasn't sure if they'd hold on the inside of a tubeless tyre, I assume you dry of the wet sealant before applying?
Yup, dry them out and I also give them a good sand to try and smooth out the contact area as much as possible.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't