Pointless new standards - name and shame the "innovators".

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not only that, there are those who are short of quid, but will drop serious money to buy new bike from shop. There is this thing about "shop warranty" that they like. Oh they're professional, they know what they are doing, less chances of build going wrong, and if something is to go wrong, warranty will cover it. Yeah sure..
Never had problems getting warranty here but I get what you're saying and everyone's heard that horror story of bikes being stuck in shops for months on end waiting for warranty parts.

Not hard to research builds or manuals these days or ask a question on a forum like this before you munt a build. I've only ever bought 2 complete mountain bikes in the last 20 years, all the rest have been custom builds and only needed a dropper post warranty which I had to do AGAIN myself in any case.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Not only that, there are those who are short of quid, but will drop serious money to buy new bike from shop. There is this thing about "shop warranty" that they like. Oh they're professional, they know what they are doing, less chances of build going wrong, and if something is to go wrong, warranty will cover it. Yeah sure..
It would be unfair to diss all LBS folks. Some have very good mechanics. I know guys that will take the bike to an LBS for lowers service on forks which should be a DIY but they either don't know where to start or have no interest etc, so they pay well for it instead.

No one will look after your stuff as well as you will. It pays to know what you have and when it might need a service. You can save both time and money DIY for most bike maintenance things. You also give yourself more of chance of fixing a broken bit and riding home than being stuck out in the boonies and having a long walk.

Fixing bikes is a fun learning experience. Take you time and read up or do the YouTube How-To's.
Avoid giving yourself any time pressure, take your time and do it well. Take parts off and lay them down in order so you can put it back together easily.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have a bolt up kit on a Hope rear 135 mm its as stiff as the proverbial .
Some bike shops have excellent service but i dont like it when they blame the customer for what is clearly a design fault in a new bike ie an XL sized frame with floppy 28 spoke wheels .

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
It would be unfair to diss all LBS folks. Some have very good mechanics. I know guys that will take the bike to an LBS for lowers service on forks which should be a DIY but they either don't know where to start or have no interest etc, so they pay well for it instead.

No one will look after your stuff as well as you will. It pays to know what you have and when it might need a service. You can save both time and money DIY for most bike maintenance things. You also give yourself more of chance of fixing a broken bit and riding home than being stuck out in the boonies and having a long walk.

Fixing bikes is a fun learning experience. Take you time and read up or do the YouTube How-To's.
Avoid giving yourself any time pressure, take your time and do it well. Take parts off and lay them down in order so you can put it back together easily.
This seems like the mentality I need to get familiar with. Do you guys use any particular resource for servicing timeframes and stuff? I have a first edition of the Zinn book but was thinking of buying the latest so it actually covers suspension. I bought my first dual suspension and really should either book it in for a full going over or learn some maintenance techniques.

Flow-Rider

Burner
This seems like the mentality I need to get familiar with. Do you guys use any particular resource for servicing timeframes and stuff? I have a first edition of the Zinn book but was thinking of buying the latest so it actually covers suspension. I bought my first dual suspension and really should either book it in for a full going over or learn some maintenance techniques.
You can get most service intervals from manufactures' online manuals for suspension. I usually drag them out a touch further but depending if there aren't any prior issues. Buy yourself a quality chain checker, all the rest is pretty just keeping an eye on how it's wearing.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Was is das?
There's Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance and Zinn and the art of roadbike maintenance. Started in the 80s and keeps getting re-published incrementally to cover new technology. I only need it for early mountain bikes when I bought mine. Earlier editions can be had pretty cheap.

stirk

Burner
Got a new bike coming. Cranks are "DUB". WTF SCRAM??? 28.99mm??? Probably been mentioned already on this thread, but deary, deary me...
DUB to me is music.

This explanation lays bare the intentional confusion created by these marketing driven engineers. Confusing as fek.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Pah.....I like random components hung on a bike. Geeez, you need Club SRAM for the whole 'experience' right.......
My SC demo bike had this crankset by the look of those plastic thingys between the crank and BB. It worked like most other cranksets I've had.

How do you respond to some of the reader statements that suggest that your video is being a bit disingenuous with its "backwards compatibility" claim?

We view “compatibility” in terms of our systems being compatible with MTB bikes that exist today. Like you have heard in articles before on Eagle drivetrains, our target for Eagle was to create the best possible drivetrain system—not a bunch of random components that are hung on a bike.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
DUB to me is music.

This explanation lays bare the intentional confusion created by these marketing driven engineers. Confusing as fek.

That whole spiel from the OCD SRAM geek, is the kind of bullshit that only an engineer can concoct.

"Our goal for DUB was to achieve three key factors to address that desire from the market. Simplicity, durability and compatibility."

With what?

Last edited:

BKMad

Likes Dirt
The thing that gets me with most of these new standards, is the changes they make are incremental, and small increments at that. If they are going to change a standard and put everyone through incompatibility issues, I wish they'd just do it properly in the first place.
That article on DUB cranks is case in point. They go on about how this a ground up redesign to solve all the existing "problems" but then try and make it compatible with existing bottom bracket shells. If they need bigger bearings and more space to get decent sealing, they might as well have just changed the BB shell to suit the best possible combination of bearing size and axle size. That said, I'd rather they didn't though. Personally, I'm quite happy with the 24mm axle and durability of shimano cranks and BB's and can't see why we need 30mm or even 28.99mm crank axles.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Dub bottom brackets run a 30mm internal diameter bearing. They then use a combined dust seal/bush that reduces this to 28.99. I got about 8 months out of the bb that came with my bike but do a fair bit of wet weather riding.
Should have claimed warranty but the LBS were being a bit shit about it so thought fuck it I'll do it myself. Back to buying stuff online...
New bb was $50 and easy as to replace. Thought about upgrading it to something better but meh... Slapped a bunch of water proof grease in will see how this one goes.