Thredbo - all you need to know

T-Rex

Template denier
FYI - The trails at Thredbo are at an all time high at the moment. It’s the equivalent of a powder day today. Ts actual HERO dirt, not BS marketing ‘hero’ dirt.

it’s not just that the dirt is great, but the trail crews have been working almost the entire time over the last few weeks including a period when everything was closed to guests.

So they have fixed and improved large sections across all trails. Ricochet especially is far better than the dust bowl it was when it opened.
Today is possibly the best day riding that I have had here.
Excited... should be good for Super Enduro next weekend

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
FYI for anyone who has a Thredbo 365 Season Pass.
Thredbo have cancelled all season passes. 365 Pass holders can request a full refund, less $50 for summer access.

So basically my entire summer of riding at Thredbo has only set me back $50. Can't complain about that.

in addition to a refund, people who held season passes will get access to discounted single day lift tickets (even if you request a refund on the season pass. I spoke to Thredbo and they said that this was to acknowledge the loyalty of season pass holders.)

T-Rex

Template denier
Thanks for the update @sbm . I think they should be putting in an easier traversing track from the top of the Kozi express to the top of Easy Street, take a bit of traffic away from the flow when they are only running the one lift. I had a group of beginner/intermediate riders up there right before the beer virus shut the place, and they really battled with that first part of the AM trail

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
Today Thredbo sent out an email stating that they are no releasing 2021 winter season passes let. They are however preparing to release summer season passes for hiking and MTB.

Hopefully this means that riders can just get a summer season pass rather than having to pay for single day tickets.

Blue Dirt shuttles have also said that they will be releasing season passes mid october.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Today Thredbo sent out an email stating that they are no releasing 2021 winter season passes let. They are however preparing to release summer season passes for hiking and MTB.

Hopefully this means that riders can just get a summer season pass rather than having to pay for single day tickets.

Blue Dirt shuttles have also said that they will be releasing season passes mid october.
Yeah I think they should be out soon. Once that happens I'll get one. I'm working 3 on 3 off so I'll be down there a lot.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
FYI - This is the DA for the new N4 section of trail which is currently being "Assessed"
http://majorprojects.planning.nsw.gov.au/?action=view_job&job_id=10312

Looking at the development timeline of previous DA's I would say that this N4 trail would only ready 2021/22 at the earliest.
I could not find a DA for the N8 trail.

There is also a DA in to add a skills park to the all mountain trail (near easy rider T bar) which is here: http://majorprojects.planning.nsw.gov.au/?action=view_job&job_id=10216 that DA is also under 'Assessment'

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
FYI - This is the DA for the new N4 section of trail which is currently being "Assessed"
http://majorprojects.planning.nsw.gov.au/?action=view_job&job_id=10312

Looking at the development timeline of previous DA's I would say that this N4 trail would only ready 2021/22 at the earliest.
I could not find a DA for the N8 trail.

There is also a DA in to add a skills park to the all mountain trail (near easy rider T bar) which is here: http://majorprojects.planning.nsw.gov.au/?action=view_job&job_id=10216 that DA is also under 'Assessment'
For those who don’t want to look into the Links.

N4 Construction of Lower N4 Mountain bike trail, Thredbo - a 3.1 kilometre â¿¿easyâ¿¿ flow style mountain bike trail from the bottom of the Merritts ski slope area, base of the Easy Rider Terrain Park (adjacent to the bottom station of the Easy rider T-bar). The trail will cross under the Gunbarrel Chairlift and pass the new mid-station of the Merritts Gondola (allowing uploading) and connect into both the All Mountain Trail below High Noon ski run and the Friday Flat loop trail on the High Noon

And here is an overlay of it over the existing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
Sold out already and the season hasn't even opened..... F$*K COVID
I got mine, thankfully. I think a few people, myself included thought that their “Limited Availability” might have been marketing bs. Looks like they were legit.

It will be interesting to see what the numbers are like on opening weekend. Last year had over 500 riders across the opening weekend. Apparently the ski season this year was dead, especially mid week).

Anyone who missed out on a Thredbo pass should consider picking up a 10 day pass at https://bluedirt.com.au/ ($500). It's excellent value and covers Mt Buller, Mt Beauty, Bright (Mystic) and Falls Creek. I picked one up and can't wait.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Booked in for opening weekend, went to buy tickets, sold out on the Saturday, doh! Got Sunday and Monday however. Hopefully some Saturday ones will come back up.....

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It will be interesting to see what the numbers are like on opening weekend. Last year had over 500 riders across the opening weekend. Apparently the ski season this year was dead, especially mid week).
I had a number of lovely mid-week days where it was ski straight on to pretty much any lift. It actually made a below-average season quite enjoyable.

After the two decent falls we did have it was absolutely rammed though, I think all the season pass holder converged at once after they lifted restrictions on us - day trippers struggled to get tickets though.

From what I understand, Thredbo pissed off a lot of season pass regulars with how they approached things. Looks like history repeating?

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
For reference I had a Thredbo 365 pass for 2019/2020. I think for memory this pass cost me ~$900. Over the summer I had 40+ days of MTB. I thought that was great value even though they were shut due to fires/covid. They also had a team doing significant work on the trails throughout the season, even up to the day they closed. The week they closed they had a helicopter flying materials up to the top third of the all mountain trail for two days!

Then around May due to the covid restrictions Thredbo offered a refund of around $850 on my 365 pass as they were cancelling all season passes. So my entire season of MTB last year set me back ~$50.

Then even though I got that refund I was still eligible for discounted single day tickets over winter.

I also found it very surprising that they even offered MTB season passes this year as they probably would have earned more by only having single/multi day tickets.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
For reference I had a Thredbo 365 pass for 2019/2020. I think for memory this pass cost me ~$900. Over the summer I had 40+ days of MTB. I thought that was great value even though they were shut due to fires/covid. They also had a team doing significant work on the trails throughout the season, even up to the day they closed. The week they closed they had a helicopter flying materials up to the top third of the all mountain trail for two days!

Then around May due to the covid restrictions Thredbo offered a refund of around $850 on my 365 pass as they were cancelling all season passes. So my entire season of MTB last year set me back ~$50.

Then even though I got that refund I was still eligible for discounted single day tickets over winter.

I also found it very surprising that they even offered MTB season passes this year as they probably would have earned more by only having single/multi day tickets.
Well, you have done extremely well out of the whole shitshow that 2020 has been, and that's not a bad a bad thing btw, I'm actually stoked someone came out on the plus side...but there is now way they could have predicted the impact COVID would have on their industry even though they had a good 3 month lead from Aspen/Europe...hello risk management team in Aus...it shows how much the resorts here still rely on the winter season as opposed to the growing sport that we all involved in.

T-Rex

Template denier
I got mine, thankfully. I think a few people, myself included thought that their “Limited Availability” might have been marketing bs. Looks like they were legit.

Anyone who missed out on a Thredbo pass should consider picking up a 10 day pass at https://bluedirt.com.au/ ($500). It's excellent value and covers Mt Buller, Mt Beauty, Bright (Mystic) and Falls Creek. I picked one up and can't wait.
Skied for three days in Thredbo this year for the first time in years, sure didn't stand in many lift lines...

Got a bunch of mates going up for opening weekend next weekend, couldn't get there myself. Going up the following weekend but that's predominantly fishing. Big riding week with kids and dads middle week of December, really looking forward to that.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got a season pass again this year. They haven't been very clear on how it all works but season pass holders can just lob up. Everyone else has to book your days. As previously noted, opening day is sold out. Their number is 500 from what Danny said when I spoke to him. Fuck Covid.

mxh

Likes Dirt
Who was down there for opening weekend? How was it? Anything to report with new trails, trail updates etc. I'm hoping to head down in a couple of weeks time.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who was down there for opening weekend? How was it? Anything to report with new trails, trail updates etc. I'm hoping to head down in a couple of weeks time.
I just got home. Had a great 4 days riding, two in Canberra first then two at Thredbo. Trails were very dusty at Thredbo but loads of fun. It made even the lamest of us look like we can roost!!! No new trails yet but I know where the new one is marked out. It should run down from the new Merritts gondola down under the Gun Barrell lift. If you look closely about of a thrid of the way up the gun barrell you can see the pink tape marking out the line. I'm down again in a week or so.