Chain shifts down cassette when backpedalling

nathanm

Eats Squid
So I've changed the crankset on the girlfriends anthem from raceface to a shimano slx and from a rf narrowwide 32t chainring to a 30t ebay "snail" brand.

But now when I backpedal it changes 2-3 gears down (towards centre of cassette) and tries to fall of the derailleur pulley.

I don't believe I had this issue with the rf crankset though I only tuned it in thr stand and didnt ride it.

Appears to be a chainline issue but how do I fix this with a press fit bb?

PJO

in me vL comy
I'm assuming that if you used the ebay "snail" chainring that it is a standard fitment (i.e. not direct mount)
If so, you can use these spacers to successfully modify the chainline, I've bought some in varying widths and modified mine.
The guy sells them in various sizes and also has a non-ebay online store.

edit: you might need to buy slightly longer bolts for the chain rings...

nathanm

Eats Squid
I'm assuming that if you used the ebay "snail" chainring that it is a standard fitment (i.e. not direct mount)
If so, you can use these spacers to successfully modify the chainline, I've bought some in varying widths and modified mine.
The guy sells them in various sizes and also has a non-ebay online store.

edit: you might need to buy slightly longer bolts for the chain rings...
cheers mate. yeah after a little research today I'm coming to the same conclusion that the chain line is "out" with the conversion utilising 3x cranks, not specific 1x. Will be measuring chainline and adding spacers I reckon. appreciate the link.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
at the end of the crank arm of course, pedals on one side, chain ring on the other. Had to drill out the bolt holes though for the larger pedal spline.
do you have it mounted medially of the bolt holes, closer to frame, or on the outside of the bolt holes?

Last edited:

nathanm

Eats Squid
you know what though, it's probably the wrong way round now I think about what fuckwittery I could have committed. I've just assumed the writing would be on the outside?

T-Rex

Template denier
So I've changed the crankset on the girlfriends anthem from raceface to a shimano slx and from a rf narrowwide 32t chainring to a 30t ebay "snail" brand.

But now when I backpedal it changes 2-3 gears down (towards centre of cassette) and tries to fall of the derailleur pulley.

I don't believe I had this issue with the rf crankset though I only tuned it in thr stand and didnt ride it.

Appears to be a chainline issue but how do I fix this with a press fit bb?
Why is this even a problem? Unless she is trying to get her fakies dialled?

moorey

call me Mia
you know what though, it's probably the wrong way round now I think about what fuckwittery I could have committed. I've just assumed the writing would be on the outside?
Meant more if you mounted where middle ring goes, or outside ring.

Also....medically, @daniel?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yes, that is correct. Measure your chain line but all my 11s drop off the biggun when going backwards.