Can I build a better Ragley mmmbop for around $2k?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hey all, I have my heart set on a 2020 Ragley mmmbop (http://ragleybikes.com/products/mmmbop-complete-bike-2020/) but I was curious to see if I could build my own for a bit more than the retail price which is $1,899 + $150 delivery, with a better component list.

The frame only option is $449 + $98 delivery.

I'm happy to use second hand parts as long as they're in really good condition (or not used!)

Is it worth pursuing or should I just buy a new bike when it's released and slowly upgrade as needed?

PS. I'm looking to buy in May so most stuff in the marketplace won't be there by the time I'm ready.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
That's a nice price for a new frame. Where did you get the price? The Aussie dealer link doesn't work.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Best way to find out is load up some wishlists on the big retailers. I custom build my bikes and I believe in the end I achieve better bang for $$$ and eliminate the need for upgrades the second I leave the shop.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Where are you getting these prices?
UK retail is £1200 and the exchange rates are around the $1.90 mark...

You'll find the killer these days is the geoblocking of well priced drivetrain and fork options.
A good fork will be about $800 and the same for a good wheelset.

Ahhhh wiggle...

Last edited:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you hit the second hand market, you'd probably find a fork for $500, group for $400, wheels for $3-400 and brakes for $250-300.
That's pretty much $2k already without pedals, bars, grips, tyres & saddle.

That is assuming you want a decent fork and current 11-12 speed group

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Could always buy the whole bike, sell what you don't want, install the stuff you do want. Might work out ok in the accounts.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wheels and fork are always the killer, sadly. Having looked into building up a bike from scratch several times, I always came away feeling that you needed to have at least one of those two items that you could take off another build to make it worthwhile.
Having said that, there's something to be said for building up your own bike that can't be directly translated into $$, so if it's something that you are keen on and the prices come out similar, go for it! (also, I can sell you a dropper post for a good price :D)

Flow-Rider

Burner
If you wait long enough you'll always find some bargains, not hard to beat a secktor fork. Drop the 12sp for 11sp Shimano XT or even 10sp and you'll have a way better bike.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You'll also need to keep in mind that unless you have a decent set of workshop tools lying around you'll need to budget for brake bleed kits, BB tools, cassette tools, grease, decent cable cutter etc etc. It can add up.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You'll also need to keep in mind that unless you have a decent set of workshop tools lying around you'll need to budget for brake bleed kits, BB tools, cassette tools, grease, decent cable cutter etc etc. It can add up.
Tools like that are a great investment though because you'll use them more than once in the long run and if you buy quality tools they'll last one man or woman a life time.

HamboCairns

Good advice everyone. As this will be my first serious bike, I think maybe it's worth buying the full build and upgrading over time.

Such a shame with geoblocking and also the 2nd hand market is paltry here compared to the UK or US. People pick up Pikes and Lyriks for good money all the time!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Good advice everyone. As this will be my first serious bike, I think maybe it's worth buying the full build and upgrading over time.
i’d b going frame route, wait bit longer, easy to beat that fork-& bike will feel much better, your enjoyment of it increases, i agree stay 11 speed, easier grab wheelset, grab the tyres to suit your riding

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
All look sold out for now though, so guess you'd also be hoping they return at same price...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Such a shame with geoblocking and also the 2nd hand market is paltry here compared to the UK or US. People pick up Pikes and Lyriks for good money all the time!

It looks like time to start talking about how you really need a dual suspension bike then. Hard tails are designed to be your back up rig, not your primary rig..

HamboCairns

Back first...

You'll change once you decide you want to ride.
I guess the other motivating factor is cost - I can't afford a decent one and I don't want the expense of maintaining one either.

If I had $4,000 I'd likely be looking at a 125mm thing like a Marin Rift Trail or something. Or a titanium hardtail haha